Back country carry gun

Just read the story of the two young men in Idaho that shot a grizzly 24 times with a 10mm and .45 ACP. Might want to get the Linebaugh back out.

Happened fairly close to the area one of the guys I’m hunting with next month lives…

Glad we’ll be a hunting party of 3… all carrying 300 magnums…

Pointless. But I've only wanted a 475 for 28yrs now ..

1725933678852.png

@Tam Dl - what a GREAT video, was only going to watch a few minutes but ended up watching the entire hour. The Alaskan Guide they interviewed was very experienced, and had a low key/matter-of-fact approach to relaying his personal experiance….one of the few people that actually had to shoot a griz in self defense (and faces Bear charges every year) - so he has real credibility vs gun writers and other Blow-hards. I also liked his advice on firearms and how caliber was relatively unimportant compared to accuracy and bullet “placement” PLUS bullet construction. His advocation for using a gun you are comfortable with (rifle or handgun) made sense and he’s guided clients (successfully) for griz with .270 and .30-06 as well as used 9mm, .357 for Bear defense — made sense….and since he’ has actual experience vs. just an “opinion” was a welcome change. His focus was on being able to shoot your gun proficiently and accurately - Not a Magnum mentality. The Guide seemed like The-Real-Deal and lives a life many of us admire and even envy….thanks for posting this video !
He uses the 458 win mag, not sure what the load is. I know they sometimes use these mag cartridges and detunes them a little. Here is some info on his daughter's rifle:

Last edited:
Just read the story of the two young men in Idaho that shot a grizzly 24 times with a 10mm and .45 ACP. Might want to get the Linebaugh back out.
Depends on shot placement. Back in the 45ACP days there were always articles about perps taking 20 bullets from a 9mm and dying of pneumonia 30 days later.

One thing I notice about the African vibe is it seems to be the thing that you carry a rifle and have it in the hand at all times. Or is that just the movies? It's cool we have hand cannons, and it is cool we have some super holsters for them. But should they still be generally seen as being there to fight your way to your rifle? And if so maybe it is better to have a rifle in the first place. Then something on a two point sling with a hurty lot of power to it, like a medium barrel, stainless, in 50AK starts to seem appealing. Or maybe simpler is the 45-90. At least they make those, and they probably aren't too hard to ream a 45-70 to. About the same capacity as 458 win. That would be in the order of a guarding gun versus, a hunting or backup gun. For those situations where the bear Todd Orrs you.

I was mesmerized by the first Ross Seyfried article.
I really like the Freedom Arms 4-3/4".
I too own a .475 Linebaugh because of Ross Seyfried. I wanted a Freedom Arms, or better still a Linebaugh custom, but ended up cajoling a geezer out of a BFR for a price I could afford at a gun show. It's a FAR nicer pistol than my Rugers. I had the barrel shortened to a packable length by Wild West Guns in Anchorage by bumping into their main gunsmith and interesting him in it. Cost me so little I wan't say. When I came to pick it up, Jim was there. I made a joke about getting it shortened so it would fit in my .44 holster {cylinder is a bit longer) He started to tell me how to stretch the thumb-break strap. I said, "meh, I'll just make a holster that fits it." "YOU made that holster?" he said.
Anyways, good times. Last time I was in there, everything had deteriorated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armalite1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better