AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, NRA
Hunted
Tanzania (Kilombero Valley), USA (South Texas, Colorado, Wyoming), Canada, Mexico
I don't know if this goes here, but does anyone know where I can get an authentic African dugout canoe? I am doing an African theme in my trophy room and want to use it, maybe someone in Africa has access to one? I know it will be costly to ship but I would like to see if anything is out there.

I think it's a fantastic idea. The ones I've seen in pictures immediately make me think the size, weight and cost to ship it will be astronomical.

Do you have any idea how heavy they are?....very...we have 4 or 5 on the grass out back of the main house at takeri....taken from illegal fishermen.....be a pain to get them to lusaka let alone usa....

Do you have any idea how heavy they are?....very...we have 4 or 5 on the grass out back of the main house at takeri....taken from illegal fishermen.....be a pain to get them to lusaka let alone usa....
Didn't know if one could be crated and shipped like hunters trophies are shipped

I would think you could get an Amish craftsman to build and stain you one to look used from pictures in the USA for a fraction of the cost.
And that way, you won't feel too bad about yourself, once you start to drill into the canoe, in order to anchor it, or to attach a trophy inside it.

I can see shipping a traditional cypress pirogue somewhere - they were typically a one-person craft of very small dimensions and very thin hulls. The typical mokoros that I have seen in the Caprivi and Mozambique were fairly crude dugouts designed to carry two or three people and two or three times the length of a pirogue. I have never weighed one, but did help drag one into the water in the Caprivi once. It had to weigh four or five hundred pounds. Cube-wise it would be most of the length of a shipping container. I would say, throw enough money at it, and you could probably manage it, but you also will have enormous challenges with US customs bringing in untreated wood - particularly from an African country.

Last edited:
Cool idea. As others have stated I'd find someone local. And local can be relative term. I.E in the U.S to build a replica, probably be your best bet.

I would think you could get an Amish craftsman to build and stain you one to look used from pictures in the USA for a fraction of the cost.
Good idea, not many of those folks here in Texas though

Perhaps some above average minded high school kid/s would be willing to make one for you at a negotiated price.
Finding a teenager with an above average mind these days might be a serious obstacle though.:ROFLMAO:

I don't know if this goes here, but does anyone know where I can get an authentic African dugout canoe? I am doing an African theme in my trophy room and want to use it, maybe someone in Africa has access to one? I know it will be costly to ship but I would like to see if anything is out there.
Also, it looks like you have posted some great photos and information about hunting in Tanzania, elsewhere within this forum.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing those.

And, if the above post about the dugout canoe idea is your introduction to the AH Forum:

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I like your idea of an African dugout canoe, as part of a man cave display.
My guess is that if / when you complete that project, it will be an impressive sight.

I have repeatedly tried to attach a photo to my post here, of a dugout canoe on The Okavango River.
However, for the past few days, any pic I try to attach only loads to 99% and then defiantly dies right there on the vine.

Computers hate me (not that I blame them).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Some time ago I spoke with a guy in Denham Springs, La who is a traditional craftsman. He makes dugouts when he can get the cypress logs to work with. He is very pricey but have seen his work displayed at BassPro and others outlets. Would not be genuine African but workmanship is definable old school.

DM me if you are real interested, there are plenty of old ones on Kariba and the Lower Zam which I can try and get for you.

I saw a hand made canoe at the big curio shop in Windhoek last year. I can not remember the name of the place.....It may have been Tikoloshe wood carvers, but I am not sure....

Buy yourself a log, an adze, and use charcoal judiciously to hollow it out some, plus means of your choice to reduce cracking, and you could be in business part timing it to completion...chainsaw carving could speed things, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baconmaker

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.