AUSTRALIA: Falling In Love With Australia, The Wild Places & The Amazing People

AZnative126

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
IMG_20240618_171613_236.jpg

HUNTING WITH ALEX JAGERS of @BIG COUNTRY SAFARIS AUSTRALIA.

Where do I start? AMAZING! Fantastic! Epic! True Adventure... Just to start off.

Being an American and flying in from the States, its a bit of a flight to say the least, and can be very tiring. ((3 Flights and 30+ hours later arriving, finally in Darwin)). Well worth it! (Fly New Zealand Air) My trip started on June 3, Leaving from LAX in California, and didn't stop till, June 6th. Arriving in Darwin a day early. I strongly recommend that you arrive a day early just to rest up from all the flights, get used to the time difference and, to enjoy the city of Darwin as much as you like. Wonderfully place, and great food!

From the start, I was in contact with Alex Jager, (Owner and PH/Outfitter of @BIG COUNTRY SAFARIS AUSTRALIA) Via WhatsApp and e-mails. Alex even when he was busy with so much at home would answer any and all questions, that i sent to him. Putting me at ease, and looking forward to the trip.
As I arrived a day early, I enjoyed walking the city of Darwin a bit and some of the rocky coves local monuments around the area and went to the local Bar, ((Shenanigan's)), All i know it was a great sports bar and i enjoyed the atmosphere of all the people. The beer was great too, I had a few (to many) Great Northern, it was called, try it. After that walking back through the City was refreshing and neat. Seeing murals on the wall, of aboriginals, seeing and hearing birds I've never known about, was purely amazing and awing.
As a hunter, I Love and enjoy seeing new palaces, animals and experiencing it all, in that moment, to the most that I can.
Day one and all what i saw, just in the city... I was in for a sensory overload! Super excited.
20240607_074605.jpg

Pick up day. 6am meet and greet.
After the previous day and a nights rest, It was finally time to meet, Alex in person.
After hailing all my gear to the Lobby and and meeting 2 other hunters that were waiting for pick up as well; Alex and ((Daryl second PH)) showed up in two iconic, Landcruiser's/Land Rovers(I can never tell). From that moment, that everyone met it was like meeting old friends again. Everyone had smiles on their faces and excitement filled the air. The Drive to the camp was 9 hours, Most of which was a dirt road/blazed two track to the camp. Off roading at its finest. I road with Daryl, Right off that bat, we were laugh and joking the whole way, making the trip so much quicker and fun. On the road to the camp, we saw Kangaroos, giant fruit bats, and locals in all their splendor, and that's before even leaving the paved road. After lunch, we hit the dirt road. We started to see water Buffalo, more kangaroos and so many different species of birds, So beautiful with all their colors, a few wild hogs, and 2 dingo's. All these animals I'm seeing them for the first time , and i can only count myself as blessed. All this and I haven't even Left the truck yet.

Once we all arrived at camp and met the camp Manager, Marry (MA) and Lewis (PH), we were feed some more amazing food and drink, gathered around the Fire and talked about the next days activities. Everyone was more then happy to share stories and tell jokes and get to know each other. Alex, Daryl and Lewis shared their stories of past hunts in the area and of other adventures in the south Pacific region. At no point did i ever feel out of place or left out. Everyone was so inviting and eager to hear everyone. Going to bed that night I was already wondering why only only booked my trip for a single week. I never wanted this to end.

Day two, time to hunt... During the night, I would experience every night, the wonderfully haunting howl of the dingo, and at one point, I swore i heard one of the little buggers breath in before his howl, just feet in front of my tent door. I'm loving it!
Wake up call was the sound of the generator kicking on. Time for Gear checks, camo cloths, lace up those boots tight, and check the bow sight; pray its still on and that TSA didn't feel like playing kick ball with a bow case.
Everything was good to go, after breakfast, and the plan for the day, I loaded up with Alex wished everybody good luck and off we went.
Alex Is a treasure trove of knowledge and experience. I listened closed when ever he or any of the PH's talked. The area we were to hunt was huge, and buffs were everywhere and could be anywhere. We started with a short drive then a long walk, the first walk was about 8-10ks, we saw many buffs all over, just nothing quite the size Alex wanted to go after, Mature Old Bulls/trophy bull, that's what we are after. The terrain is rolling hills, tail grass, shallow river bottoms and rocky out cropping's, bring good ankle support. seriously!
After walking around a bit trying get in front of a few wondering bulls, and missing one opportunity to a bedded giant bull at 8 yards, due to a ant hill, we headed back to camp for lunch. I'm having a blast, during the first mornings hunt there are birds sounding everywhere wild life in all directions. ((I need a GoPro))
After a hardy Lunch, Alex Decided to take me to an area just on the other side of the river from camp. I was told that no none aboriginally has hunted the area in years if ever. a Scouting we will go. We have seen buffs from our side of the river the night before. This was going to be fun. Alex and I were dropped of 400 yards from camp to cross the river on foot in a shallow spot. we crossed the river easy enough, made our way up a short ridge and started picking our way through the burns and scrub. after 20 mins of walking we started seeing buffalo all around. nothing giant but still pretty cool to see Cows and calves, working their way around. Terrain in this area had open burns with trees everywhere and thick river bottoms and ridges with tall scrub and grasses. Alex and I were working our way in a huge circle just checking the area out, seeing what the area may hold. It did not disappoint at all. We were kicking groups of buffalo up like quail in the long grass, luckily they were mostly cows and calves. What an experience; to work in so close to these buffalo and watch them flush as we continued on our huge circle.
20240608_102056.jpg

Towards the end of the day and sun diving behind the hills, we came in to a low valley clearing, where we saw some very big body Bulls, I thought. In the valley there were 2 buff bulls and scrub bull. Alex looked at me with excitement in his eyes and in his voice, saying, "you want to take a scrub bull', at that moment, hearing Alex's voice; i said, "Yea sure". Not knowing what was about to happen.

I have never even seen a scrub bull for my own eyes nor did I know what it means to harvest/take one with a bow, here we go.
Alex took the lead after we checked the wind, we started a quick low stock in to where the scrub bull was headed. During our stalk we saw 2 giant buff bulls on either side of the valley, wide thick and sweeping horns; (I'm pretty sure those 2 are still back there) But this has turn in to a scrub bull hunt, we were at 80 yards and the thing just disappeared. (How can an animal 1800+lbs just disappear?) In the fading light the damn red scrub bull just blends in with the dark grasses.
Alex and i sat down glassing the valley looking for the scrub bull, after a few mins I located the bull 80 yards to our right, feeding from right to left, back in front of us.
That moment of hurry up and move as fast and silent as you can, on a stalk just happened. We made or way in a lil valley with high grass between us and the bull all the way up to the grass line on the other side; Where the grass goes from waist high snagging wall to ankle high grass with mid sized bushes spread out all over.
At this point Alex and I are on our hands and knees trying to get to grassy patch to grassy patch, bush to bush, with out being seen. Once we made it to about 50 yards, Alex placed himself, with his rifle just in case dangerous game hunting turned to, just that. lol Alex motioned me to move forward with my bow and make the last few yards on my own. All thoughts rushed to my head and adrenaline pumped hard. In my head i heard my heart but also remembered to breath deep and slow, to slow everything down. started going over what to do for the shot. All this while watching this scrub bull feed out in front of me at 35 yards. I moved slowly, only moving when the bulls head was turned the other way, take a slow step, then another then another, then a game of hold still and blend in and trust my camo, nerve racking as the bull looks up at one point, straight at me chewing grass. I look at his mouth and I'm happy to see he hasn't stopped chewing. He looks down, then away. My turn to place my feet for the shot. Range taken 37 yards, release on, then up pops the bulls head. He knowns I'm not suppose to be there. I draw as smooth as I could. Place my pin, then hit the trigger. I Have lighted knocks. the arrow sails home 750grs of sharp 2 bladed arrow, hits perfect. I have a video of the shot that Alex took. it its awesome, to say the least. My opinion. I still remember Alex, Saying, "Your a bloody performer mate, you didn't tell me you had lighter knocks", as he laughed as quiet as he could, with a huge smile on his face, and a few back slaps, congratulating me.
After the shot, adrenaline dump, a photo or two, and a herd of buffalo; young bulls, cows and calves almost walking over us, as we gave the scrub bull a few mins, to himself, before we walked up. the real work began.
I wont say to much about the pack out in the dark, but I will say the experience was something I was more then elated to go through, and cant wait to go through again.

IMG-20240611-WA0009.jpg

That night was filled with retelling of hunt, to all that would hear laughs and smiles around the camp fire. After a nice hot shower, hardy meal and a few cold beers, of course. That night I paid for my years of not hiking or packing leg cramps. Please, do yourself a favor, if you want to spot and stalk scrub bulls or water buffalo, get those legs and feet in shape.

Day 3 started with soar legs and feet, teaspoons of salt in the morning water, breakfast and everyone still with smiles on their faces eager for the start of that days hunt. Alex and Daryl were both concerned with my mobility after last nights events but I assured them i was still good to go.
At this point this is where a truly Experienced and caring PH come in to light. Alex knew I needed a rest from the day before, even though i said different. I'm glad he showed mercy. :) , Alex placed me riding with Daryl, as Alex would be taking the other two rifle hunters out that day. Great guys from the south Australia.
Let the good times roll. We were to do some more trail blazing that day but today it be a truck trip. Just what I needed, feet were still drying out from the river crossing last night, that I didn't mention before.

Daryl and I headed off and to exploring the far reaches of just one of the areas we could hunt. We saw everything, Beautiful wild horses, a herd of scrub cattle bulls and cows, dingoes, and a wild house cat,(NO SHOT) and at least 100 head of buffalo. For hours we made our way driving around looking over the land and just scouting around, we started to head towards an area way up on a mountain that had a huge area with a flat on top. Giant woods all around, a two track left from years before hard to fallow. We came up to a thick wooded area, and there, I pointed out to a bull to Daryl. "there's one" which Daryl replied with wide excited eyes, "That one, go shot it". Back in to action I go. Adrenaline spike, shacky legs and hands, arrow knocked. Daryl took lead. Starting the stock at 200 yards. We started to walk, staying behind trees as we went, the best we could. I am not a small person. As we neared the sheer sizes of the bull was amazing. I knew they were big but this guy was bigger then the Cape buff i took in South Africa, by at least 600lbs. thought raced through my head. that happens with all archers. I kept saying slow your breathing, don't look at the horns, slow movements. Once we got in to 80 yards Daryl let me take lead. staying off to one side with his rifle at the ready. just incase the buff wanted to get less then friendly. As I made my way up to 30 yards, as quite as could be, the buff bull put his head up and knew that something was there. The whole time in the buffalo is quartering to me with no shot for a bow. once he noticed something wasn't right, in his current direction of travel. he turned and just feed in a 180, back from were he came. Knowing i needed to get in to position for a shot, I dogged every movement of the bull moving quicker, every time he turned his head or feed. Finally after 10 mins of pressing my luck dogging this bull, I moved at the wrong time and he caught it. He turned and was quartering away, 35 yards. He look right at us as I drew my bow back. I settled the pin, trusted in my set up and let the arrow fly. Shit! the buff took a step a the trigger went off. The arrow Hit 8 inches to far back. but still good for the kill, just not a quick kill. Daryl saw it and so did I, knowing a big Buffalo can cover lots of ground and quickly I asked Daryl of the rifle and quickly traded weapons. I put two rounds with his 375, solids in to the buffalo, trying to turn him, first round, spun him, and the second put him down, but not for the count. Daryl took the lead once again as we walked around to the side of the bull, and told me to put another arrow in to him. I sent the arrow perfectly in the heart. I know this because once we opened this bull up the Broadhead was stuck in his heart and we couldn't pull it free with out a little bit of sawing action. Once hearing the death bellow of this bull i felt some much emotion. Happy, sad, thrilled, tearful, and shaky but still all smiles. Daryl and i both were.
As a bow hunter its tough seeing an animal suffer, but i did my best to finish it quickly, Thank you Daryl for that! and so much more.

20240609_134121.jpg

20240609_133823(0).jpg

So the hard work begins again,
after cleaning up the buff we packed him on to the truck and headed home. Full of grass, stickers, thorns and blood; We were all smiles, on the way back. I don't think I've smiled and laughed so much in my life, its been a very long time at least. Another night of great food new friends and story time. I miss it so.

I set off to take 4 animal, in my goal in my hunting career. Cape buffalo, Australian water buffalo, American Bison and Muskox. I had a plus 1, the scrub bull, unexpected but amazing addition.
The reason I'm saying this is that this hunt, the first 2 hunting days of my trip. I fell in love with Everything about it, about BIG COUNTRY SAFARIS, About Australia, the hard work that went in to it all, Alex and Daryl's hard work they did before I showed up and during my hunt and after the hunt, with the short glimpse of what it takes to get ready for the next group of hunters. They are truly wonderful and purely genuine people. never a down moment and always positive to keep things moving.
I will be going back to BIG COUNTRY SAFARIS, as fast as I can. I wish i could of stayed as a camp helper if I could. Ill be putting my other two animals on hold just to go back and spend another few weeks with Alex and Big Country Safaris PH's, and will love every min of it.

The last 2 days were spent helping the other two hunters with their hunts. They both took big bulls on the same day or before I took my buff bull. They were going after older cow buffalo. I tagged along and spotted for them and helped where i could. I couldn't get enough of it all. ((I was the camera man))
IMG-20240611-WA0000 (1).jpg

I'm the little guy on the left with the shorts and sunglasses.

During the whole time, Alex and everyone involved with the hunt were caring, helpful, attentive and knowledgeable. I learned so much from everyone and did my best to help out were i could. The Camp is Tents, 4 people wall tents, (at least the one I was in was) they are homey and comfortable with coat beds and foam mattresses, sounds of the river feet away; with hot shower on demand next door, an out house with a wonderful view, a camp cook that will make amazing meals, and a camp fire with comfy chairs a view of that river, you'll feel like a king.
20240611_161451.jpg

To anyone looking to hunt Australia for Big water Buffalo and wild scrub bulls and much more, Send an e-mail to Alex Jagers, at, BIGCOUNTRYSAFARIS.com, you will meet amazingly tough and friendly people, that will take care of you and will make sure you are placed as close as you want to what ever animal your after. You will laugh and smile so mush, your stomach and face will hurt. You will Arrive a client and leave a friend, with many stories and hopefully a few sets of horns on your wall. But above all memories that will last a life time, I promise.

I hope this does a fraction of justice to how amazing and wonderful, BIG Country Safaris, is and apologize for any grammar issues. to convey everything I wanted to, I'd might have to write a book. I'm not going to put anyone through that horror.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that’s not just a trip, that was an adventure! Congrats!

Congrats on a great hunt and story to boot. Your joy and happiness with the hunts really came through with the story you told.

HH

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and awesome old bulls. Those Scrubbers out there are wild, and taking one with a bow is no mean feat. And some lovely heavy old buffalo, too.

I enjoyed your report, the excitement that shone through in your words took me back to sitting around that same fireplace laughing. It's a very special place up there with Alex & the Big Country team, and anyone who enjoys a truly wild, remote adventure will love it. I look forward to getting back there myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aloualex

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better