The normal first timer questions

Clothes are your own preference. I grew up in Arizona, used to avoiding or ignoring thorns, so yes on that. I will add go with darker colors than you often think. Avoid khaki, it's too light. Think OD green, mud brown, dark gray, etc. this includes your hat. You don't want a light colored head bobbing and waving around like a flag. Boots or hunting shoes of your choice work fine. I do suggest some ankle high gaiters to keep rocks and stuff from ending up in the boots. I believe Boyt's makes them still. I used a 30-06 with 168 TTSX bullets for my first two hunts to drop everything from springbok up to kudu, zebra and gemsbok. Not enough difference between an -06 and a 308 to lose any sleep over. No issue, go with it in confidence. Practice, practice and more practice will help more than anything, particularly off of shooting sticks. Make or buy some and use them on the range.
I've never used Global Rescue for my trips to South Africa or Namibia. I don't think it's necessary, but to each their own.

Last edited:
I just got back from Limpopo about 10 days ago.

I wore long pants 1 day, shorts the rest of the time. My shins did get scratched up pretty good, but honestly, not really a big deal. I brought a couple pair of Carhartts - IMO, if you're going to wear long pants, you want something like those that are roomy enough to allow a lot of awkward positions like squatting, low walking, and so forth.

With loose fitting pants, what I discovered was that I got caught on more thorns trying to squeeze through narrow places, not fewer. While those thorns didn't necessarily scratch me, it's just one more slow-down and that much more noise I was making trying to get unstuck.

I ordered a couple pair of cargo shorts (fitted, but with an elastic waist band and a draw string) and some long sleeve safari shirts from Tag Safari. Nice thing about the shirts I ordered (they're a little spendy) is that the material is insect resistant and sort of a dry weave, plus the back is vented. Their long sleeve shirts have a pair of buttons on each sleeve that let you roll the sleeve up to your elbows, and they'll stay put. Or you can go with the same shirt in short sleeve.

For my own self, I consider cargo shorts necessary kit - good for carrying water bottles and other things. Regular shorts will run out of space quickly. YMMV
1725886319082.png

My buddy had a little too much to drink at a Rocky Mountain elk foundation banquet and won the auction for a 10 day South African plains game hunt for 2. He asked me to go with him and I couldn’t say no
Between our schedules and the hunting guide the only date we could do was in the middle of November.
I’ve been researching this forum for weeks trying to see what I’ve gotten myself into it seems like November is going to be hot. Dumb question but is it ok to hunt in shorts and some hiking shoes? Or should I stick with pants?
The package includes blue wildebeest, impala and blesbuck. I’m planning on taking a .308 with Barnes 168 grain ttsx bt or nosler trophy grade accubond 165 grain. Are both of these rounds sufficient?
Is global rescue or some other type of travel insurance a good idea or is South Africa a pretty safe area?
I’ve never been on a guided hunting so I am really jumping into the deep end with this one. This forum has helped answer some of my questions but I’m sure I’ll have more.
Knowing the outfitter will help. It’s likely someone here will hunted with them. I would pick one bullet weight, one cartridge load, and practice, practice, practice.

Barnes TSX or TTSX will serve you well. I switched from Nosler Pation and Accubound and shoot 90% Barnes in either TSX or TTSX.
Bring plenty of ammo, you are likely to shoot more animals and may need a few extra rounds for sighting in… Check with your outfitter for a price list for additional animals and for special permits. Check with and importer for your trophies too. Tell us the specific area you are hunting.

I would bring shorts and pants, but don’t over pack. Phillip Glass has great packing videos.

South Africa is safe unless you are careless and venture off on your own. I’ve never used an additional insurance policy or global rescue. My credit card has insurance coverage and so does my homeowners policy for equipment; to include gear and rifles. Check those for limitations.

Check the posts on tipping, recent hunt reports, rifle permitting, before and after hunt planning, import and export, taxidermy options, packing for Safari, and practice shooting from sticks.

Last edited:
Hello and congratulations! Make sure you practice on sticks, but since you’ve never been guided before remember when the sticks go up your gun goes on them. Now. Don’t wait to find the trophy with your binos. Then make sure you communicate well with your P .H . And are clear about which animal. Many trophy fees are paid on the “wrong” animal. Use the shot placement pictures until they are automatic. And memorize/print out the outfitters price list on additional trophies. You don’t want to be looking up a price when that fantastic animal is looking at you. Have fun and pack light!

I hunted South Africa a couple months ago. I shot my plains game animals with a 308 shooting 130 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. Including a Wildebeest. All were one shot kills. So your 308 is a good choice.

I took lightweight pants and was glad I did. There were lots of thorn brush and cactus where we were.

Get a printed copy of the price list before you venture into the field. Lots of different animals become available. It’s good to know what it cost to pull the trigger before you do.

clothing; Tag Safari zip off pants. Long sleeve shirt that has the sleeve that rolls up and button that holds it. 3 outfits plus your travel outfit. Enjoy and plan to shoot more animals. Oh, hunt report and photos!

Here's my nickles worth.

For pants I have just worn some military BDU's in both woodland camo and plain green. My shirts were the same as I wear here in the US for bow hunting.

Your rifle and ammo is just fine. I have used TTSX bullets for all of my plains game hunts and have had zero problems with them. The big thing is shot placement and confidence in the round and rifle.

While shooting from sticks is important on my first safari all of my shots except for one were taking sitting on my rear using the sticks just as a forward support. My second safari all the shots except for one were taken off of the sticks. But most of them could of been taking sitting. A lot will depend on the country that you are hunting. I was hunting the Eastern Cape and it was more like elk hunting in the foothills of the Rockies.

To get there us a travel agent. Both Travel Express and Gracy Travel offer fantastic services and will get you there and back. My suggestion is to fly on Delta out of Atlanta. United has some problem and if you are flying economy you want the shortest flight possible. Delta is a direct flight of around 15 hours.

To get your rifle into South Africa I suggest Rifle Permits.com. Henry will take good care of you with preapproved permits that you will fill out and email off to him. If you are hunting somewhere that you have a connecting flight I'll suggest his premium service, he'll get you through the airport.

For trophy's start thinking about them now. You'll either have them mounted in country or they'll go through a dip and pack before being shipped here to the states. Some South African taxidermy is great and some is not so great. Talk to your local taxidermist to see what he can do for you. I've done it both ways. My local taxidermist on my last trip was 15 months out once he received my crate plus he had increased his prices to the point that it was cheaper to have it done in country. In the end the cost was about the same. You also should decide on a importer to jump through the hoops that the USFW and US Customs creates, don't even think about doing it yourself for the first time.

I used Safari Specialty Importers. They cost a little bit more but I think that they do a lot more.

Welcome to AH.
I am assuming from the description of how your buddy got the hunt it will be with Kuche Safaris. This is the first hunt I went on under very similar circumstances. Enjoy the planning and really look at your wish list of animals. I feel I messed up on my trip. I was dead set on adding Kudu and Gemsbok as additions to my first hunt. On a limited budget, two additions was all I could do. The Kudu in my picture came from that hunt and I would recommend going after one with Kuche. Unfortunately I took a below average Gemsbok cow (not being able to properly judge one myself) and passed on a great Waterbuck and not even pursuing Bushbuck (which Kuche has some really great Bushbuck). I have since been two places known for Gemsbok and taken a huge bull, but have not even had Bushbuck to hunt.
Your rifle and rounds sound like a great choice and as has been stated already- practice off shooting sticks.
Have a great trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcfjghjkg02

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better