Aside from Africa, what are some memorable guided hunts around the world that rival the experience of an African Safari?

Let's see ...
View attachment 561913
There's my PH glassing for kudu last year. Before the day is done we are hunting in the mountains beyond. Same property.
View attachment 561914
And this is the same property. We were after a bull that hung out in the canyon in center of photo. I eventually shot him at the bottom of the pointy hill near top right of the photo.
View attachment 561917
This is the pointy hill at the end of the canyon, accessible by 3 mile hike mostly straight up and very rocky. When I took this photo a small herd of gemsbuck was crossing to the right at the top of the canyon. I probably shot the bull this year.
View attachment 561915
And this is on the other side of the same mountains. Thick and VERY steep. It's so thick the owner really has no idea how much game is on the land. Four cow nyala were spotted from here crossing a small clearing on the ridge running down from the right. Eventually a bull followed them down. After a 2 hr stalk and standing on the sticks for 1 hr 20 min, he finally got up and gave me a quick shot through a 2' window in the brush next to the river. Fairly certain I snagged an infected tick here.

Yep, hunting these South African "farms" is just a walk in the park. Pffft! If the client wants hard hunting, most operators know where to find the right property. My guy sure did.

Seems you're the one guilty of stereotyping. I know what works for me and what doesn't. Hanging with a bunch of stuffed shirts who are into dressing fancy and play acting is not my thing. I had to put up with it on the job. Being retired means stepping away from that crowd and back to my roots. Farmers are more my kind of people. They always have been.
I could post countless pictures showing similar terrain hunting for kudu, except we didn’t make a 2 hour stalk, we did this for 3 days straight. I think we did roughly 9 miles by 3pm one day. I could go on, but my shirt is too stuffed from play acting.

Last edited:
I could post countless pictures showing similar terrain hunting for kudu, except we didn’t make a 2 hour stalk, we did this for 3 days straight. I think we did roughly 9 miles by 3pm one day. I could go on, but my shirt is too stuffed from play acting.
FYI I didn't shoot my kudu the day of the top photo of PH glassing. It took four days to get him. Only two days to get the gemsbuck bull there this year. The last day hunting this year we saw 27 kudu in the space of an hour and a half (17 in one bunch!). On this very large property they are free range. Two bulls were maybe shooters but not what I was looking for. Perhaps next year they will be something special. Property manager was surprised and pleased so many kudu were observed. I know none were seen twice. But the next week they might all be gone. It's why they're called the gray ghost.

My suggestion for your stuffed shirt problem is 1) check out a Weight Watchers diet plan or 2) shop at Salvation Army. Sometimes they have disco shirts that are not too brightly colored. I understand purple paisley print goes well with most Rollex. :D

FYI I didn't shoot my kudu the day of the top photo of PH glassing. It took four days to get him. Only two days to get the gemsbuck bull there this year. The last day hunting this year we saw 27 kudu in the space of an hour and a half (17 in one bunch!). On this very large property they are free range. Two bulls were maybe shooters but not what I was looking for. Perhaps next year they will be something special. Property manager was surprised and pleased so many kudu were observed. I know none were seen twice. But the next week they might all be gone. It's why they're called the gray ghost.

My suggestion for your stuffed shirt problem is 1) check out a Weight Watchers diet plan or 2) shop at Salvation Army. Sometimes they have disco shirts that are not too brightly colored. I understand purple paisley print goes well with most Rollex. :D
Rolex^

Greenland was an incredible experience hunting muskox and caribou near the ice pack. Beautiful nights with the northern lights dancing above. Landlocked lakes with artic char above the artic circle. I must say pretty deserted country.
FB_IMG_1571105105129.jpg
20230824_150806.jpg

Greenland was an incredible experience hunting muskox and caribou near the ice pack. Beautiful nights with the northern lights dancing above. Landlocked lakes with artic char above the artic circle. I must say pretty deserted country.View attachment 561972View attachment 561973
Musk ox hanging in the garage? Tsk, tsk! Guess we know who wears the pants in that house. Seriously though, watch out for moths out there. Is there something that can protect the fur?

Greenland was an incredible experience hunting muskox and caribou near the ice pack. Beautiful nights with the northern lights dancing above. Landlocked lakes with artic char above the artic circle. I must say pretty deserted country.View attachment 561972View attachment 561973

Can you PM who you hunted with? This is on the bucketlist.

Musk ox hanging in the garage? Tsk, tsk! Guess we know who wears the pants in that house. Seriously though, watch out for moths out there. Is there something that can protect the fur?

Wow, you’re on a tear. Are you out to insult everyone on this forum or just a select list?

Wow, you’re on a tear. Are you out to insult everyone on this forum or just a select list?
Okay, I was teasing him. Forgot the smiley emoji. Sorry. I thought the "But seriously ..." made it clear I wasn't serious. My partner never complains about all my trophies in the house. Only noise I hear from that gal is the air deflating before I put her back in the drawer.

Moths can be a very serious problem for stuff stored outside. Has anyone heard of a treatment to protect fur on mounts?

Not quite hunting, but I went on a peacock bass fishing trip in Brazil. I think there were seven of us. I knew pretty much everybody in the group. We fished two per boat and saw the others only in the morning and evenings. It was like a safari on water.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest that we put Ontario hunter on "Ignore" - other Canadians may actually have something positive to contribute and he's giving us a bad name.

May I suggest that we put Ontario hunter on "Ignore" - other Canadians may actually have something positive to contribute and he's giving us a bad name.
Go ahead and check the box. But be careful not to trip while climbing back on your throne. And don't forget the oxygen mask.

ive done the exact same trip andhunted the noatak and kelly rivers for griz and caribou. different than my namibia plains game hunt as namibia was fully guided/slept in a nice warm bed/meals made for me/etc. the alaskan bush hunts can be brutally physical but unbelievably memorable at the same time.
Those hardships make the best of memories. I’ll always remember my night out in the Alaskan mountains.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.png
    IMG_4114.png
    450.1 KB · Views: 53
I truly believe that anyone who enjoys Africa, and remote untouched places in general, would love Australia's Northern Territory. A hunt for Buffalo, Scrub Bull, Banteng and Boar is right up there. Like Africa, choosing the right outfitter is essential.

New Zealand offers some remarkable mountain hunting, especially free range Tahr and Chamois. But it's not for the feint hearted. Gladly retired from that now haha ;)

I would like to hunt in North America again (3x so far).
Actually, I am a man of the north.
But the prices have become so terrible there that it makes me sick ........
10 days Yukon hunting for moose on horseback USD 30.000.- and the travel costs and other things come on top of that.
You can get a lot for that in Europe or Africa.
The cost to hunt north American game is ridiculously expensive, I'll probably never hunt in the Yukon or Alaska for that reason. Cheaper to go back to Africa.

The cost to hunt north American game is ridiculously expensive, I'll probably never hunt in the Yukon or Alaska for that reason. Cheaper to go back to Africa.
I'm actively looking into Yukon/NWT hunts and am taken aback from the costs. Yukon Moose and Caribou? $47,000. Muskox hunt in NWT? $30.000.

Agreed. I have been looking at goat hunts for a while, and they're reasonable, but still costly compared to Africa. On average they're higher priced then a 10 day Zim buffalo hunt. I'm looking at ZIm again or Namibia for my next hunt as well. Pretty torn...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmadoM200

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well