Aside from Africa, what are some memorable guided hunts around the world that rival the experience of an African Safari?

I know you said guided, but I did a DIY caribou hunt out of Kotzebue where we got dropped off in the foothills of the Brooks Mtns. It was a pretty magical 7 days of hunting. The scenery was gorgeous, saw grizz every day, moose, musk ox, dall sheep up high…but no caribou. Still one of my most memorable hunts. Glassing on a knoll, munching on blueberries while your glassing a grizz doing the same thing 500 yards away is not a bad way to pass the time.

Stone’s sheep in 2003. The most beautiful NA sheep in my opinion.
1674595288982blob.jpeg

Got a great ram on the 13th day of a 14-day hunt. Sun, rain, snow, good horses, and great guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been to Africa yet (headed there next June!) And I have never hunted outside the US. I have never had a guided hunt either. But I’ve had some great experiences. I’ve done Aoudad sheep in far west Texas, various exotics in the Texas hill country, coastal black bear/ halibut fishing in Alaska, elk in the Rockies, coues deer in the desert, pronghorn on the plains of Wyoming, whitetails in the hardwoods, mule deer in the sage brush and countless pigs, predators, and small game and birds.

The one hunt I do without question every year is an annual cull hunt in the Texas hill country. Me and a couple buddies go to the same ranch and shoot every pig we see, some Aoudad ewes or broken horned rams, feral goats, axis does, and any other cull animal that the ranch knows about. We stay in a comfortable house and leave with as many ice chests as we can fit in the truck full of meat.

For plain fun and adventure the coastal black bear combined with halibut fishing is tough to beat. My hunt was with a buddy so not guided but there are plenty of guided options for that combo. We slept on the boat with comfortable sleeping arrangements, plenty of great food, plenty of beer and whiskey, shot a great bear and caught big halibut.
482F821A-72D7-404E-9576-2F040F032DEC.jpeg
307A61ED-A9A6-4350-A12F-A0A07647E57E.jpeg
6F61A8F4-BC93-479B-BDF6-C489291D0A90.jpeg

Kodiak Island Alaska is simply breathtaking and incredible… Sitka deer on Kodiak creates memories of a lifetime..

Sika in Ireland is a wonderful hunt as well…

I don’t think anything compares to Africa. The experience you get on each continent is too different. I find North America is about the hard work and miserable conditions to get your usually one hard earned trophy. Europe is short hunts in very well managed areas as part of a management plan. A quick enjoyable hunt where you’ll likely get your trophy. I find Africa is enjoyable because you can really utilize all the days you booked for multiple animals with good weather and nice camps to return to each night. It’s also usually not under the stress of a North American hunt. All hunts are completely different. Roe deer hunting in Europe is my favorite hunting anywhere, but a 3 day roe deer hunt or a 10 day African safari, I’ll still take Africa. Hunting Sitka blacktail deer in South East Alaska has been my favorite North American hunt, but I still think Africa is the better overall experience. My biggest fear on a North American hunt is finishing on the first day with only one tag.

I’d really like to do a 10 day hunt in Northern Territory Australia for multiple buffalo. Usually the hunts there are quite short. I did a 4 day hunt there and it was great, but needs the additional days to rival an African hunt.

I would say Scotland, Argentina and Italy. We had very memorable experiences in all three.

Then I would say our little deer lease in Texoma. It’s not anything extraordinary but we love the hunting, picnics and managing our deer and quail. And fighting the losing war on pig eradication.

Safe hunting

As its been previously stated here, there's no place like Africa. I have experienced no hunting outside of the African Continent that rivals the overall experience.

The most comparable experience from an adventure standpoint was a Shikar to Nepal I took in '96 for Blue Sheep. The hunt was all on foot with 15 porters, one head guide and one Sherpa that was with me at all times except when I slept. The porters carried everything to our camp at 12,000 feet above sea level including food, water, firewood, tents and sleeping bags.

It was truly one of the most memorable hunts of my life, I only wish the lowland species (Axis Deer, Muntjac, Blackbuck, Gaur, Water Buffalo and Wild Boar) would have been available for the complete Shikar experience.

As its been previously stated here, there's no place like Africa. I have experienced no hunting outside of the African Continent that rivals the overall experience.

The most comparable experience from an adventure standpoint was a Shikar to Nepal I took in '96 for Blue Sheep. The hunt was all on foot with 15 porters, one head guide and one Sherpa that was with me at all times except when I slept. The porters carried everything to our camp at 12,000 feet above sea level including food, water, firewood, tents and sleeping bags.

It was truly one of the most memorable hunts of my life, I only wish the lowland species (Axis Deer, Muntjac, Blackbuck, Gaur, Water Buffalo and Wild Boar) would have been available for the complete Shikar experience.
Hi JohnEd. Blue sheep is on my list when my leg is 100%. They are a beautiful animal and an epic trip, I think. Thanks for your thoughts on your blue sheep hunt!

Though I’ve never done these, I’ve been told Alaska/Yukon/British Columbia are up there on a lot of hunters bucket lists. I think any mountain sheep or goat hunt is also going to be up there. I. Terms of adventure, a DIY Alaska Moose or Caribou hunt sounds like a blast.

Other bucket list hunts for me Spanish Ibex, Red Stag in New Zealand, a European Driven Hunt, Russia Bear

Have had some memorable hunts in the norwegian mountains...hunting grouse over standing setters...fantastic until the weather shift and you freeze your ass off..
Langesjå.jpg

I’ve started doing a backpacking hunt with my brother in Arnhem Land each year, and it is the equal (in my opinion) of my African adventures. Sleeping in hammocks, needing to stay alert for buffalo and bulls throughout the night, the campfire, stars… and some epic encounters with the big bovines!

As stated previously it’s not an apples to apples comparison but my time in Alaska and the Northwest Territories provided some of the most gorgeous landscapes and the animals were certainly well earned. But as previously stated there is a level of personal discomfort that comes with those hunts that I’ve never experienced in Africa. Those animals taken in the north country are special in their own way just like my African trophies are unique and special as well. Good thing we have options to do both if we so choose.
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_3105.jpeg
Very different experience but equally impactful in their own ways.

I could spend all my time hunting Africa, most especially West Africa. But, Mongolia left an impression on me dating back to 1987, and it still holds a top spot worldwide. Of course, the Argali have risen in price and are unreachable for too many now, but the two ibex and Maral stag are true values wrapped in a wonderful cultural adventure compared to the cost of hunting in other WW locations. Best wishes wherever you decide to go. Life is amazing. Hunt strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RickyKitso

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.