ARGENTINA......Mexican hunter killed by a Asian Buffalo during a hunt

Hi crs........you ate right......Asian Water Buffalo can reach about 2200 pounds......they are really big beasts and can hurt or kill people in a split second as any tipe of wild Buffalo can do......always people have to be cautious when hunting this animals.......
Just out of curiosity, do you get close to these like one does with Cape buffalo? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Last edited:
Condolences to his family and friends may he Rest In Peace.

Prayers for him, family and friends.

Just out of curiosity, do you get close to these like one does with Cape buffalo? Inquiring minds want to know ;)
Hi Tanks........off course We get try to get closer as We can as in any other Buffalo hunt it should be.........you confirm that in several South American hunting reports from this year in this forum........

I hunted and killed a big bull with MG Hunting earlier this year. It was down with one shot and two follow up shots for safety. We killed this buffalo at 20 yards. Rocket was on the hunt and we were told that the buffalo was possibly the same one that chased a cowboy up a tree and killed his horse. It doesn’t matter how big of a gun you use if the bullet doesn’t hit the correct place. These bulls are huge and can take punishment. Once they are wounded and have their adrenaline pumping even a well placed shot may not stop them. It is imperative that the first shot be absolutely perfect and your PH is competent and qualified to back you up should the need arise. This is truly a tragedy for all involved and goes to prove that proper preparation and planning must at the forefront when hunting dangerous game. Make no mistake that buffalo hunting in Argentina is dangerous game hunting.

I can attest to the fact that water buffalo definitely aren’t farmer joes black angus. I’ve seen what they can do to a person and it ain’t pretty.

I hunted and killed a big bull with MG Hunting earlier this year. It was down with one shot and two follow up shots for safety. We killed this buffalo at 20 yards. Rocket was on the hunt and we were told that the buffalo was possibly the same one that chased a cowboy up a tree and killed his horse. It doesn’t matter how big of a gun you use if the bullet doesn’t hit the correct place. These bulls are huge and can take punishment. Once they are wounded and have their adrenaline pumping even a well placed shot may not stop them. It is imperative that the first shot be absolutely perfect and your PH is competent and qualified to back you up should the need arise. This is truly a tragedy for all involved and goes to prove that proper preparation and planning must at the forefront when hunting dangerous game. Make no mistake that buffalo hunting in Argentina is dangerous game hunting.
Saw your buff the week after you left. Heck of an animal. Well done. And yes, all dangerous game deserve maximum respect.

Last edited:
It is a sad tragedy, all hunting mishaps are sad. But this is part of the story of DG hunting, we all take a chance every time, the task is to minimise it, but it will always be there.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Mario Canales Najjar.

People in general and even some hunters, think that because they can be trained to pull a cart, pull a plow, learn tricks, and see people all the time that they, wild bovine. Are some how tame and aren’t a threat. An American bison, Asian water buffalo, Gaur, African buffalo can an do kill people on a regular basis. They should always be taken seriously.

People in general and even some hunters, think that because they can be trained to pull a cart, pull a plow, learn tricks, and see people all the time that they, wild bovine. Are some how tame and aren’t a threat. An American bison, Asian water buffalo, Gaur, African buffalo can an do kill people on a regular basis. They should always be taken seriously.
I am sure the hunter had taken it seriously and did not try to pet it. :unsure:

I am looking forward to finding out the facts. The whole thing seems to be a culmination of a number of mishaps involving the hunter(s) and the guide.

Tanks I didn’t say he was, I said even some hunters, on another big bore page a Hunter said that bison were nothing but big fluffy dairy cows….. it’s a misconception people that have never been around them have. Same as water buffalo, it can lead to tragedy.

You can see the video of the charge and him being killed at the link below. Not particularly gruesome for a hunter, but if you know him personally you may not want to watch.

The Daily Mail

Looks suspicious to me, I don't think that is the same video or the right one ?

Many questions:
Is an Asian Buffalo the same thing as a water buffalo?
What is the buffalo in the photo above?
Pop, are you sure that it is a Cape Buffalo in that video?
Why are people bringing up MG Hunting?
The head line says he was using a .408 rifle and the guide was using a .458. How likely is it he was using the little known .408 Cheytac?

Most times a Asian Buffalo would be a Water Buffalo, the Water Buffalo in Argentina look to be more like the River type than the Swamp type, a more Domesticated subspecies of Water Buffalo found even in Europe, used a lot for Milk & Cheese production as well draft animals, I think the Water Buffalo in the US/Florida are the same, saying that makes them no less dangerous.

I notice they have a horn set not unlike a Cape Buffalo with no Boss, there were some on farms in the NT of Australia being trialed for milk production, these were Called Riverine type & being crossed with the normal Swamp type found in the NT, I knew a chap working with them who was horned by one after it hooked his legs from under him, so not a tame domestic animal .

Oh I'd be very surprised if he was using a .408 Cheytac, it is the Media so could be a .405Win to a .400/450 or any thing really ?

Same with them saying it is illegal to shoot them, it is a introduced species so feral, can't imagine it would not be legal to hunt & shoot them, unless a protected area or some such ?

Last edited:
Sarg,
Or even a .308 . Looks like shooting it in the lower jaw may have angered the beast.

You can see the video of the charge and him being killed at the link below. Not particularly gruesome for a hunter, but if you know him personally you may not want to watch.

The Daily Mail
This was some monkeys in the eastern cape going after a wounded Cape buffalo with a scoped 308Win with silencer and a scoped 375......that is not an Asian Water buffalo...

Last edited:

Here is the video of the....nowhere near Argentina....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristiRan

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with