AR-type Rifles

Ive got the 1-6x Strike Eagle on one of our AR's (300 BLK).. Its been a very good optic for the price point.. rugged.. clear enough glass.. pretty fast/easy to acquire reticle (not great for long shots.. but excellent for 0-150 IMO)..

How do you rate the bushnell illuminated AR scopes compared to that one?

What 20" barrel would you guys recommend in 223 wylde? It doesn't need to be .25 moa or anything that spectacular, more so for plinking. Are Roscoe as good as the internet makes them seem?

Criterion is the top for me, I've never had one that wasn't excellent, but they are pretty expensive. Faxon and Daniel Defense are both very good and less money, and depending on what you are doing with, just as good as any.

How do you rate the bushnell illuminated AR scopes compared to that one?

I havent looked through any of the newer bushnell options.. so no clue how they stack up.. scopes in the same price range that I have tried include the Burris RT6, and the Primary Arms SLX-1... Of the three I prefer the Strike Eagle.. but honestly, theyre all very similar I think in terms of durability, clarity, etc.. I'd be pretty happy with any of them on an AR platform designed for shots inside 200 yards (could certainly reach out further than that.. we used to use iron sights out to 300 on man sized targets... but for a more precise type shot I think 200 is about as far as I'd stretch with the typical off the shelf AR with any of those 1-6x optics)..

What 20" barrel would you guys recommend in 223 wylde? It doesn't need to be .25 moa or anything that spectacular, more so for plinking. Are Roscoe as good as the internet makes them seem?

For a plinking/budget build, its hard to beat Bear Creek Arsenal IMO.. youre looking at anywhere from about $65-$130 for a BCA barrel depending on what you want.. and they are as good (or better) as anything you'll find on your typical entry level to mid grade AR (S&W, Bushmaster, etc)..

A decent step up from there (again IMO) is Aero Precision.. Youre still not looking at "match grade".. but you can get very good performance from their barrels.. and they'll still set you back less than $250 for most options (many are less than $150)...

For a plinking/budget build, its hard to beat Bear Creek Arsenal IMO.. youre looking at anywhere from about $65-$130 for a BCA barrel depending on what you want.. and they are as good (or better) as anything you'll find on your typical entry level to mid grade AR (S&W, Bushmaster, etc)..

A decent step up from there (again IMO) is Aero Precision.. Youre still not looking at "match grade".. but you can get very good performance from their barrels.. and they'll still set you back less than $250 for most options (many are less than $150)...
And what’s the next step from there?

I havent looked through any of the newer bushnell options.. so no clue how they stack up.. scopes in the same price range that I have tried include the Burris RT6, and the Primary Arms SLX-1... Of the three I prefer the Strike Eagle.. but honestly, theyre all very similar I think in terms of durability, clarity, etc.. I'd be pretty happy with any of them on an AR platform designed for shots inside 200 yards (could certainly reach out further than that.. we used to use iron sights out to 300 on man sized targets... but for a more precise type shot I think 200 is about as far as I'd stretch with the typical off the shelf AR with any of those 1-6x optics)..
I handled a Strike Eagle (1x6) a couple of days ago and put in an order for one (Optics Planet). My repel borders AR is a suppressed DDM4 V7 5.56. It currently sports an Aimpoint, but a 1x something scope will be much more flexible. The Strike Eagle is a long way from a Swarovski, but my AR isn't exactly a Highland Stalker either. :unsure:

Last edited:
I handled a Strike Eagle (1x6) a couple of days ago and put in an order for one (Optics Planet). My repel borders AR is a suppressed DDM4 V7 5.56. It currently sports an Aimpoint, but a 1x something scope will be much more flexible. The Strike Eagle is a long way from a Swarovski, but my AR isn't exactly a Highland Stalker either. :unsure:

I think you'll be really happy with that combo... I had my strike eagle on my primary repel borders rifle as well for the last few years (also a 556 gun.. but a DIY).. I recently moved it over to the 300 BLK that I built for my teen daughter.. she wants to hog hunt with her mom and I.. nothing will be over a 100 yard shot where we're going in a few weeks.. so I thought the 300 BLK with the Strike Eagle (and bright green flashlight) would be a good starter combo for her.. she's still a little "blast" and recoil shy.. so I wanted her in a pretty low recoil, easy to shoot platform..

For the time being I've just got a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on the repel borders rifle.. but will definitely go back to a LPVO soon.. I just havent decided if I want to move the Strike Eagle back to the 556 gun and buy something a little nicer for the 300 BLK.. or keep the SE where it is and maybe go with a 3x magnifier type rig for the 556 gun... (1st world problems :) )....

Criterion is the top for me, I've never had one that wasn't excellent, but they are pretty expensive. Faxon and Daniel Defense are both very good and less money, and depending on what you are doing with, just as good as any.
I'd also add in Ballistic Advantage who makes quite a few .223 Wyld barrels including in 20" length. They seem to be a bit less expensive than the Faxon barrels which are also excellent.

I'm a big fan of home-built AR's. Learning how to assemble your own AR gives you a much better understanding of your rifle's function, and is a huge confidence booster (plus it can be downright fun). A few years back, some buddies and I got on a kick where we built over a dozen AR's within a few months. Here is one that I did in mid-2020 using an Anderson stripped lower, an 18" Ballistic Advantage stainless fluted barrel chambered in .223 Wylde that I bought used, and an assortment of spare parts that we had laying around. There's a reason they call these "Barbie Dolls for Men". :)
I topped this one with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8X that I got on special from Brownells for $299 (including the free Brownells-branded mount). With good quality 68gr or heavier ammo, it is a solid 1/2-3/4 MOA rifle at 100 yds all day long.

All that being said, if I were going to buy an off-the-shelf AR with a moderate budget, I would probably go with a Sig M400, Wyndham Weaponry, Springfield Saint, Ruger AR556, or Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II (unless I was feeling like splurging for the Daniel Defense).

BallisticAdvantageAR.jpg

I thought it would be better to create a new thread instead of derailing the Tiny 10 thread. For those of you with an AR-type rifle, why did you choose the one you did? I am in the market for one and @Red Leg has me considering Daniel Defense...
One?

My My My.....I'm embarrassed with the AR numbers in my house but dang they are fun.

i just find it funny that the MSM kept reporting the trans-gender he-she using an "AR," when in-fact it was a long-barrelled pistol that she could lift. Mentally-challenged TGs should not be able to legally obtain firearms. :p

I put a strike eagle 1-8 FFP on one of mine. It is okay for the money. I have had Nightforce 1-8, trijicon 1-8, I always found myself between 1 and 8 never really in the middle. I bought a unity mount for my T2 and 5X magnifier. Just to help will the finer aiming side of things.

Honestly with my RDS and a 36 yard zero, you can be pretty effective to 350 just holding center mass. If you have a little skill 450 holding top of head will drop them in where they need to go.

I say all that, I still don't know what I like better. I'll have to play some more to figure it out.

FWIW Midway has lots of Vortex products on sale this week.. the 1-8x retails for $799 these days.. its currently priced at $599...

The Crossfire 1-4x (not excellent.. but truthfully not horrible for a repel borders type rifle) is normally $289.. its currently priced at $199...

@mdwest, what mount are you using for your Vortex SE? Thanks!

Went with a CZ Bren 2 exactly because it's NOT an AR since they banned those here in 2020.
if i'd buy a repel boarders gun, i'd make it a mini-14, for the same reason as you. AR's might not yet be banned for the moment, but I'm sure they will be next on the chopping block.

Guys
How do you maintain ar15?
How often do you clean? After each shooting? Periodically, 500, 1000 rounds or so? Never?
How do you clean? Any special care for gas tube?
Any other recommendation?

@mdwest, what mount are you using for your Vortex SE? Thanks!

Ive got it mounted using a Vortex Cantilever..

Honestly there are several other cantilevers that are just as good (IMO) that are a lot less expensive (the Vortex is about $120 most places).. Ive got a Burris PEPR thats about $100 retail (I think I picked it up for $89 on sale somewhere?) on another gun that is every bit as solid (maybe more solid?).. Ive got an Athlon cantilever on another gun that was about $60 that Ive never had a problem out of.. and I picked up a Monstrum cantilever here on AH as part of the PIF thread that retails for about $29 that I havent mounted on a rifle yet, but I dont expect any problems.. it looks like its been machined just fine for its intended purpose, etc..

I just went with the Vortex cantilever on that particular rifle because I bought it as a package deal with the Strike Eagle when Midway had a deal on them a few years back (I cant remember exactly what I paid, but it was less than the current "on sale" price of the SE on Midway.. and they threw the mount in on the deal as well..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 7.54.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 7.54.34 AM.png
    918.3 KB · Views: 31
Guys
How do you maintain ar15?
How often do you clean? After each shooting? Periodically, 500, 1000 rounds or so? Never?
How do you clean? Any special care for gas tube?
Any other recommendation?

For me "it depends"... some ammo shoots a lot dirtier than others.. and it really depends on which rifle we're talking about.. for my 556/223 guns I'll usually give them a wipe down, punch the bore a few times, and give them a light cleaning after each range session (anywhere from 30-100 rounds on average?).. I dont know that they really NEED a cleaning after such a low round count so much as old habits die hard.. when toting AR rifles in the army they got cleaned after each use.. and I cant seem to break myself of that habit..

For my "hunting" AR's I really dont treat them any differently than I do my bolt action rifles.. I'll drop a tiny bit of oil into the action after a range day or a hunting day, give them a good external wipe down.. and not touch the bore until the end of the hunting season.. once they are done with hunting for the year they will get a thorough cleaning and then get put away until the next range session that usually happens a couple of months before hunting season starts back up again where I confirm zero, conduct thorough reliability checks, and shoot a couple of magazines of ammo through them to refresh familiarization, etc..

Truthfully in both of the above scenarios that is most likely WAY more cleaning than is necessary..

Back in my police days it was not uncommon to run through 1000-2000+ rounds over a 2-5 day period of time at a training event.. I might oil up the BCG at some point along the way if the gun started getting sticky.. but otherwise I typically would not clean the gun at all until after the training event was complete.. when deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan (contractor) I'd pretty routinely wipe down all surfaces to keep the dirt, dust, sand, debris out of the gun.. but I wouldnt actually clean the internals of the rifle unless it had been fired quite a bit (shooting a mag or less through the gun wouldnt warrant an internal cleaning)..

An AR is surprisingly reliable under a pretty high round count between cleanings these days (unlike the reputation of the old M16A1's from the Vietnam era or even the M16A2's like we had when I first went into the military) as long as youre not shooting crappy corrosive ammo or ammo known to be particularly dirty..

Regarding cleaning the gas tube.. Ive got both direct impingement guns and piston guns.. on the DI guns the tube (where it meets the bolt) gets cleaned when the rest of the gun gets cleaned.. but I honestly never remove the tube from the gun or worry about scrubbing it end to end or anything like that.. for the piston guns even less attention/worry is paid...

I dont use any special lube or oil or cleaning supplies for my ARs... whatever I have on hand works just fine.. Ive been a fan of #9 for most of my life.. I have also used Gunslick Gun-Seal.. ballistol gets used if that happens to be what I pick up.. etc...

I was a little more particular when I was carrying an AR for a living and would only oil with #9, but would also use lithium grease on some key components, etc.. but I dont shoot nearly as much or anticipate nearly as long/heated an encounter these days.. so, a little bit of #9 is really all I worry about.. as long as the gun isnt dry, any quality AR should get through a few hundred rounds with no problem no matter what lubricant youre using..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @mdwest, much appreciated.

+1 to what @mdwest said about cleaning. However, I am a bit more particular on what type of lubricant I use. On all my ARs I strictly use Slip 2000 products. For cleaning my ARs I use Slip 725 Gun Cleaner/Degreaser, and for lube I use Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant) or Slip 2000 Gun Lube. When shooting a match or or taking an AR weapon class, I always used the EWL, and so far, has not let me down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]