AR-10 Caliber Question

Since I am not looking for a long range rifle, maybe I ought to look at a Ruger Mini Thirty in 7.62x39. With a thermal and suppressed it might weight 8 or 9 lbs tops.

The AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel is also sounding good.

:A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring:

The Grendel or 6mmARC is not a bad call at all, would definitely cut down on weight and overall length.

Would be a lot closer to 9lbs than 12lbs

Since I am not looking for a long range rifle, maybe I ought to look at a Ruger Mini Thirty in 7.62x39. With a thermal and suppressed it might weight 8 or 9 lbs tops.

The AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel is also sounding good.

:A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring:

You are barking up the wrong tree. AR platform has a full length rail so you can use a clip-on thermal. If dedicated thermal, you will infinite mounting solution vs Ruger. You can run 7.62X39 in a small frame AR. I will suggest 300BO over 7.62x39 every day of the week and twice on every days that end in y.

So many more options 110 to 240subs which if you have a suppressor why not shoot some subs.

9#s or less in an AR (small frame) is very doable. Especially if you SBR a 300BO, mine is 11.7" barrel with a Dominus on the end of it.

You are barking up the wrong tree. AR platform has a full length rail so you can use a clip-on thermal. If dedicated thermal, you will infinite mounting solution vs Ruger. You can run 7.62X39 in a small frame AR. I will suggest 300BO over 7.62x39 every day of the week and twice on every day that ends in y.

So many more options 110 to 240subs which if you have a suppressor why not shoot some subs.

9#s or less in an AR (small frame) is very doable. Especially if you SBR a 300BO, mine is 11.7" barrel with a Dominus on the end of it.
I'd be interested in how a suppressed 14.5 inch 6mmARC shooting 95 grain partition does

Big boars ain't that tough when you hit them with a 250gn round nose out of the Whelen at 2,700fps
hahaha, good advise, but somehow I am not surprised? I wonder why?!:unsure:

Will my 9.3x62, with round nose soft points 286 grain get a temporary pass? ;)
Thats my boar gun.

BTW I never saw a legendary Garand rifle in my life, not even in a gunshop. They are not importing them for some reason. From www 2 era, there are carcano, mausers, and mosin nagans. (also no lee enfields around)

Love my 6.5 Grendel’s. My 7 RM is really overkill on whitetail deer. 160 gr TSX’s do seem to take them clean though lol.

Barnes loads ttsx for the Grendel that I’m looking forward to trying on deer size and smaller game. I’ve got a straight pull AR15 style rifle called a Maple Ridge Renegade that I’m planning to be my boys’ first deer gun. Has a Leupold 1.5-4 VX-R patrol on it with a firedot. Since it’s manually actuated, it’s non restricted at 27” length and 12.5” barrel :)

Additionally, since it’s ambidextrous it’s a great choice since both my boys have turned out to be L eye dominant and I’m R eye dominant and shoot R handed none of my bolt actions are a good fit.

All of my large frame ARs are 12-15#s with optics.

Yep, mine too, definitely heavier than my Lott. That’s why I switched to the Grendel on a 15 platform. Heck of a lot easier carting around the woods in the middle of
The night!

I am in the process of putting together a .375 Raptor.
Thing about AR platforms is they tend to multiply in your gunsafe like 1911s….
834860FE-CE51-47DC-B646-F2AC140EE851.jpeg

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, I picked up a Windham Weaponry SR762 carbine in 7.62x39 at a time when that ammo was about 15 cents a round. It is surprisingly accurate (even with surplus ammo), and I would consider it pretty effective out to 300 yards or so. I've shot a few AR10's, but the weight and the recoil kept leading me back to the AR15 platform and its variants.

Those rugers in 308 look nice....light as well...been trying to get the gunshop here to get at least one in.....anyone used them?
Bought one about a year ago. Very light for a .308. Nice to carry around and mine is accurate with 150's. The trigger on mine at least is very good. A hint of travel, but only around three pounds. Recoil is noticeable but nothing unmanageable. My custom built .308 is at least 2lbs heavier.

I was asking about the "too heavy" rifle weight, not the hog weight
Ups!:confused:

My go to rifle for hogs, is around 3.6 kg (7.9 pounds). I consider this as acceptable upper limit, in driven hunts when I am in the drive, and struggling through the bush and thorns.

hahaha, good advise, but somehow I am not surprised? I wonder why?!:unsure:

Will my 9.3x62, with round nose soft points 286 grain get a temporary pass? ;)
Thats my boar gun.

BTW I never saw a legendary Garand rifle in my life, not even in a gunshop. They are not importing them for some reason. From www 2 era, there are carcano, mausers, and mosin nagans. (also no lee enfields around)
@mark-hunter
The 9.3x62 will get a permanent pass in my book.
The Garand is a nice weapon but the enbloc clip is a pia.
I had a beautiful Johnson 30-06 for a while but someone made me a godfather offer that I couldn't refuse. Paid me a lot more than the $350 that I paid.
Bob

The 9.3x62 will get a permanent pass in my book.
I knew i will get a pass! :A Banana:
The Garand is a nice weapon but the enbloc clip is a pia.

Ah, garand, garand.... I woud love to have it.
Enbloc clip was sorted out later with design of M14, another rifle I'd like to have.

I am stretched between having my gun inventory for specific purpose target or hunting, and starting collecting which I avoid (if I start it would never end)

But I would just love to have Garand for its historic value, and m14, and all battle rifles and pistols from world war 2. But I will not go into direction of collecting.
I already have too much for my activities.

Another PIA, I noticed: more guns someone has, he shoots less each one of them. You can shoot only one at the time. Thats also the problem with big collections

Bought one about a year ago. Very light for a .308. Nice to carry around and mine is accurate with 150's. The trigger on mine at least is very good. A hint of travel, but only around three pounds. Recoil is noticeable but nothing unmanageable. My custom built .308 is at least 2lbs heavier.
Thanks...it is the light weight that I like

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanKeighl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]