AR-10 Caliber Question

I’m building one in 338 Federal right now, I think it would be a great AR-10 round. Also have a 260 Remington that is a great one

Cody, I think you have never met a caliber you didn't like. I have never warmed up to the 338 Federal and doubt I ever will.

I will say 300 AAC in an AR pistol or SBR is bucket loads of fun. Especially with a short can.

However, if it’s an AR-10, another vote for 308! I had one and loved it, but I sold it to help pay for my 416.

Mind the weight on AR-10’s as they tend to get heavy. Mine was a DTI, and it was like 11 lbs loaded.

18" 308 is the answer, it will do everything you need it to. I shoot mine out to 800yds often, fun guns to shoot. 308 ammo is everywhere and is what the platform was designed for.
They take alot more skill to drive, your fundamentals will need to be on point to shoot well. I enjoy the challenge.
20210208_085510.jpg

I should have prefaced that my experience with mild recoiling AR10s is with 20” barreled rifle length gas systems on an old A2 style armalite and newer SR25 style build. I have no idea how a carbine gassed rifle feels.

While I agree ARs are boring (nothing more cliche than a 16”) the CETME/HK91 comes with its own bag of problems. Some of PTRs newer stuff incorporates a picatinny rail on the receiver which is a huge leap forward but other than that you’re stuck with HKs or Bsquares claw mount which results in atrocious height over bore issues. The trigger pack design leaves nothing to be done for the long heavy spongey trigger. Cocking tube/lever design and no last round hold open means complex mag changes if you run it dry. Delayed roller blowback and fluted chamber means your brass is going to be mangled and destroyed if you’re even lucky enough to find it since it gets thrown about 30 yards at escape velocity on a sub orbital trajectory. On the plus side there’s usually zero ejection issues unless you’re unlucky enough to rip a case head off.
I can’t argue with any of that.

Mind the weight on AR-10’s as they tend to get heavy.

You’re being polite. They are heavy fat pigs and ok to shoot as long as your friends don’t catch you doing it.

Just swap uppers, 300 AAC and a can.

IMG_1296.gif

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

503176294.297688public.jpeg

Last edited:
358 Winchester is an option as well.
But better yet just get an HK91. Ar’s are boring.
Agree. I received my first 91 when I was 16 or 17 and love these rifles. As noted in the post below, there have been ergonomic and performance advances in the arena over the last 50 years, but I still love the 91/93.

Agree with all this. No one should be taking hogs at 500 yards. 308 is the right cartridge on cost and ballistics.

BTW, have a suppressed Sig Virtus 300 that is SBRd in the closet. No hearing protection needed!

I have shot hogs well beyond 800 yards with a 308.

The last time we hunted hogs, I killed 25 in about 15mins, was using 300BO with 115gr control chaos rounds. They are expensive, worth every penny.

I run a Daniel Defense DD5 in 308 with a Trijicon 1x6 Accupoint and a suppressor…..recoil is a non-issue. Extremely accurate and reliable. Used it this season on a WMA quota hunt here in GA, two deer, two pigs, four shots. I’d stick with the 308 just because of your ammo options.

I've enjoyed playing with a 375 raptor. 308 necked up to 375. Solid ballistics, plenty of bullets to choose from and ready to make brass from 308. 270 grain bullet at 2300fps. 400 grain subsonic. Fun toy and there is even a company that sells loaded ammo (tnt munitions). Suppressed subs are fun on hogs.

Just a barrel swap from a 308. Adjustable gas block is nice for switching from subs to supers

I've enjoyed playing with a 375 raptor. 308 necked up to 375. Solid ballistics, plenty of bullets to choose from and ready to make brass from 308. 270 grain bullet at 2300fps. 400 grain subsonic. Fun toy and there is even a company that sells loaded ammo (tnt munitions). Suppressed subs are fun on hogs.

Just a barrel swap from a 308. Adjustable gas block is nice for switching from subs to supers

That is a round that I have been toying with the idea.

I would go with a 300 Blackout; swap uppers and you are ready to go. Shooting it suppressed it is super quiet, and all you will hear is the bolt hitting the buffer.

My brother picked up a Larue PredatOBR in 308 when they first came out, 18 inch barrel, that thing shoots well below 1MOA out of the box and is just all around a great rifle

I put together an Aero Precision 16 inch in 308 and have had to do some tweaking (definitely look at the enhanced buffer kit from Aero if you're building one). It shoots good, not as expensive as a Larue, but in hindsight I kinda wish I would have just pulled the trigger on a Larue.

As far as calibers go, as others have said 308 is plentiful, and you can find cheap stuff to plink/train with as well as any number of 30cal bullets to load to your guns preference for accuracy and whatnot.

For hunting rifles in the AR platform..... I've been getting very interested in 6ARC. Shoots like a 556 AR, and essentially the lethality of a .243, with the shorter lighter AR15 platform Vs AR10.

If you're set on the bigger platform.... I'd say 308
Smaller platform for hunting..... I think having 2 uppers (556 and 6mm ARC) is probably the move

300 Blackout is one of my favorite calibers (to shoot and load for). If you go that route, I highly recommend running suppressed.

Concur! I’ve got a K can on my 300 BLK. Pure joy to shoot, and an excellent deer/hog killer at reasonable distances.

300 Blackout is one of my favorite calibers (to shoot and load for). If you go that route, I highly recommend running suppressed. Speaking of which—we are partnering with a local suppressor company and will be carrying their line starting in early 2024. Belt-fed rated titanium cans— more on that soon.

We have some really nice 300 BLK SwissP Styx Action ammo on sale right now as well (supersonic).

If you want something a little more exotic (maybe faddish) in an AR-10 sized package, check out the 8.6 Blackout. It’ll get you 300 BLK light characteristics with a 338 caliber bullet. Definitely more expensive but you can make the brass from 6.5 creedmoor.

No need to use an AR-10 if you’re going with a .300 Blackout. It works just fine in an AR-15 platform.

I have an AR-15, but have been thinking about an AR-10 lately. Do I just go with a .308 or consider one of the other in between calibers? Mainly interested in a hog rifle.

243, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, or 300 AAC Blackout???? Am I missing anything?
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen , no, I don't want an AR-35 Whelen................yet :E Happy:

The 243 option is interesting to me because it is a significant step up from the 223, without the huge increase with the others. The 308 is probably the cheapest to feed, just not sure I want that big of step up in power, recoil, report, etc. Logic tells me to go approximately halfway between a 223 and 308, that being one of the 6.5s, and then buy the AR-10 in 308 at a later date. There is a method to the madness.

Comments?
You could get the 35 Whelen's kissing cousin the 358 winchester. It makes a great hog and deer round. P.S the 243 is a very small step up from 223. Only 30 grains on the high end. In an AR 10 the recoil and report is not going to be very noticable.

I have an AR-15, but have been thinking about an AR-10 lately. Do I just go with a .308 or consider one of the other in between calibers? Mainly interested in a hog rifle.

243, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, or 300 AAC Blackout???? Am I missing anything?
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen , no, I don't want an AR-35 Whelen................yet :E Happy:

The 243 option is interesting to me because it is a significant step up from the 223, without the huge increase with the others. The 308 is probably the cheapest to feed, just not sure I want that big of step up in power, recoil, report, etc. Logic tells me to go approximately halfway between a 223 and 308, that being one of the 6.5s, and then buy the AR-10 in 308 at a later date. There is a method to the madness.

Comments?
@375 Ruger Fan
Your missing the 250 Savage or on a AR15 chassis a 25 Sharpe's will almost equal the Savage.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarinaWyan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]