AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Does anyone know it you put the apple tag inside an aluminum gun case do they work or do they have to be n the outside?

No idea but it’s easy to check if you have one.

Does anyone know it you put the apple tag inside an aluminum gun case do they work or do they have to be n the outside?
Not very well. I saw somewhere, where someone made an external case that attached with screws to the outside of a metal case.

The signal attenuation is probably pretty bad, but I don’t know for certain.

If you put it on the outside be discreet about it. I saw someone getting busted by an OR Tambo gate attendant for one on the outside of his luggage, and he was asked to remove it.

You will have issues with a aluminum case unfortunately

We did not have the best luck with air tags period. The Samsung tiles worked the best for us. We had one of each in each case. We had pelican cases, can not comment on an aluminum case.

I bought this from Amazon for my aluminum gun case…works great!

IMG_8172.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the quick response. I haven't bought the tags yet. Like that bike unit pictured.

Mine did not work well at all with the aluminum case. All the others in my bags did.

While I haven't used 'em yet, friends put 2 laminated name/address/contact info tags on their cases/baggage and wedged the gps tags between the laminated cards (as a sort of external gps tag envelope), hung at the very same spot as the cards and sealed shut via cable ties. It cannot be seen, and it's outside the (aluminum) case. Also fairly difficult to remove! Inside a plastic case is prob even better; just have to test 'em in your particular setup! I believe they work in the SKB cases as they are aluminum frame w/ double hard plastic shell. How I wish they existed for bicycles as a kid and motorcycles as an adult!!! lol now

Dave, I put the Air Tags in various pieces of luggage for this years trip. This included one inside my Americase gun case. It definitely attenuates either the incoming or outgoing (likely both) signal enough that you need to have a phone pass quite closely by. This was noticed when I was tracking the baggage and the rifle case was showing separated from the other pieces at times.

After we got home I tested this out and confirmed. It doesn't entirely block the signals. Since it was the rifle case that was of the most importance....well I was a little disappointed. Having said that there is a solution and that is to put the Air Tag in a small envelope and secure that in one of the recesses for the handles on the case. At least I think that would work.

I was very, very happy that I had Apple airtags in my rifle case and ammunition box on a recent trip to Mozambique. My case was plastic, not aluminum. Worked perfectly, and helped make the trip smoother and less worrisome despite two baggage mishandling incidents. I’d suggest you change cases.

Aluminum will not completely block the signal but will require someone to be very close with an apple product to correctly update location.
The above reference is a much better solution or a plastic gun case.
After the last 2 years of having AirTags in my various bags I have felt much more comfortable carrying rifles along the journey. Definitely a good piece of mind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EuniceHill

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with