Anyone use TSX on leopard?

Probably the most important technical decision is the scope. You will likely be shooting in bad light, and it is one of the situations where the extra investment in quality glass makes a real difference.

I am not a huge fan of overbore designs to begin with, but I would urge you to reconsider hitting a leopard inside 100 yards (probably closer to 50) with anything out of 7 STW. The violent expansion from a Berger will likely compound the potential problem. I have no doubt that it will kill him, but he won't absorb all that energy like a bear, elk, or nilgai. You could easily present your taxidermist with a real problem.

Do you have an accurate .270 or 30-06 in the safe?
Hey, that’s actually a good idea, Red Leg. I’ve taken a male leopard over bait by using a .30-06 Springfield BRNO ZKK-600 and the 220Gr Remington Core Lokt cartridge. Results were quite satisfactory.

This is something I have thought about. There is potential with the fast Bergers to blow out the off side and I'm hoping for a full mount taxidermy. What about switching the scope over to a 7x57? Any load recommendations for that?
That would be a great choice. In my .275 (7x57), I used the 170 gr Oryx for PG in Zambia and they worked perfectly on everything from blue duiker to sable. However, for Leopard, the 156 Oryx (or similar bonded SP) would be just about ideal and would also work well collecting PG for bait.

I was just getting ready to ask about 140's but Red Leg, I can try to get some of the 156 Oryx. PH likes using zebra for bait so that should cover those bases. Can probably get the 156's to around 2650fps.

I was just getting ready to ask about 140's but Red Leg, I can try to get some of the 156 Oryx. PH likes using zebra for bait so that should cover those bases. Can probably get the 156's to around 2650fps.
140's are a fine load as well. The 156 would give a bit better penetration on larger PG like zebra.

If you have time, check with Lance Hendershot https://hendershots.net/ He loads virtually all of my hunting ammunition and usually maintains Norma in stock.

This is something I have thought about. There is potential with the fast Bergers to blow out the off side and I'm hoping for a full mount taxidermy. What about switching the scope over to a 7x57? Any load recommendations for that?
I‘ve shot a leopard over bait with my Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe in 7x57mm Mauser. The ammunition was the old Winchester Super X 175Gr soft point factory load (unfortunately discontinued in 1999). The “Big Blue Nose” of those Winchester cartridges used to make them highly optimal for leopard.
IMG_2451.jpeg

From amongst currently available bullet choices, I’d highly recommend:
1) 175Gr Hornady Interlock Spire Point
2) 175Gr Speer Grand Slam

For my leopard I will be taking my Rigby in 275 Rigby (7x57) using 154 quick expansion bullets. I believe Hunter-Habib likes the 175 grain

Which bullet?

I'm going to have to get some Talley bases/rings to switch over optics to my old Sako 7x57. I haven't hunted that gun in a long time but it's taken some nice deer over the years. I was able to find a couple boxes of Norma 156 Oryx online. I will see how they do but this Sako has been accurate for me. Thanks for all of the comments.

My PH is requesting the smaller caliber for leopard. No problem. Accuracy in low light is the priority. I will be using the 7 STW with Berger 195's at around 3000 fps. This combo has taken black bear, elk, nilgai, hogs and large deer with 1 shot each. It's also one of my most accurate rifles at 1/4 MOA and has a great low light scope (Swaro X5i 5-25x56). I will bring my hunting ARCA tripod and lock it down in the blind.
No disrespect intended AT ALL; but the last bullet I’d shoot a leopard with would be a Berger. It’ll probably be OK, but with an extremely dangerous animal that a wounded and very pissed off leopard would be, I’d never take such a chance. I can easily imagine that bullet blowing up on a shoulder and a wounded leopard lying in ambush to take out revenge. An Accubond, Partition, A frame, Sierra Game King, Core-Lokt, would all be great choices but I personally wouldn’t chance a Berger on a leopard. If you try it, I hope it works perfectly and you prove me wrong, but there is no way in hell I’d ever try that.

A 7x57, 270 or 30-06 with excellent glass and a bullet such as an Accubond or partition would be welcomed heartily by any PH I know. Reasonable calibers that are easy to shoot accurately with a dependable bullet that expands yet holds together are a PH’s wet dream when sitting in a leopard blind. Your 7x57 with a 160-175 grain Accubond or Partition would end up with a very dead leopard quickly as long as you hit it where you should.

If I was going on a dedicated leopard hunt where I’m not hunting larger game like I typically do, I’d probably take my 30-06 and shoot 180 grain Partitions or Accubonds. But it’d get a new Leupold scope with a Firedot reticle.

This is a dedicated leopard hunt and the only plans now for PG are as bait animals. Bonus would be finding a good elephant but that's secondary.

Shooting leopard requires precise marksmanship. Be honest with yourself, if you flinch while using a 416 use something a little kinder to your shoulder. I hunted leopard a lot and prefer a 300 Win Mag where legal, an 06. But what do I know, am a member of CBC club.

Actually have hunted all over Africa with a 416 Rigby. It and a 300 are my two favorite calibers. I am a gun nut and have used a wide variety of cartridges over the decades. They all work if you train at the range and know their limitations , and your’s. Kindest Regards.

Barnes is too unreliable on expansion for leopard.....use something with lead......controlled expansion is fine...

All great comments above. I would just say that leopard is a light skinned, light bone animal. You want a fast bullet that does NOT retain its weight. You want it to break apart easiky and have it turn off the nervous system. That is when they are drt. Nosler accubonds are a better choice than partitions and may I suggest Hornady sst bullets. When you think leopard, think the exact opposite of what you normally think for tough African game. If you make a good shot anything will kill them. You just need the explosive shock to get a drt. Good luck.
Not so Hornady is shit.....
You need a controlled expansion bullet that impacts at about 2250fps....if it stais together and expands to 2x to 2.5 times caliber that is what you need.....eg. Swift A frame, Rhino, Woodleigh, Bitteroot, Bearclaw etc.....
They are a lot more muscular than an impala etc....they are apex predators....
And no....Barnes do not fall in this category....
Dicking around between pg and leopard bullets is the wrong way to go....

I’ve never hunted leopard and probably never will. However, I do have experience with 400gr Barnes TSX but out of a .416 Ruger at ~2365 fps. In addition to using it on a buff, I used it on PG from impala thru kudu. It is too tough of bullet on lighter game. I would definitely go with a faster opening bullet and if it was me, I’d use a lighter round for the cat… .30/06, .35 Whelen.

Not trying to hijack this thread but curious if anyone has used the Woodleigh 340 grain PP in a .416 caliber on leopard?

Not trying to hijack this thread but curious if anyone has used the Woodleigh 340 grain PP in a .416 caliber on leopard?
Why? Just use the 400gr.....

Why? Just use the 400gr.....
Woodleigh Bullets may not have as much experience in bullet production or research and development with bullets as some members on this forum. Possibly, Woodleigh should not waste valuable resources producing a .416 diameter bullet in a weight other than 400 grains?
I asked the question about that particular bullet for leopard due to my inexperience.

As the OP, I welcome any discussion on leopard bullets and leopard hunting. I'm obviously not using TSX or even a 416 on the leopard but we can all learn. I'm already switching gears to different guns/loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]