Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
I have a leopard and elephant combo hunt coming up in Zim. I'm thinking of taking one rifle (416 Rigby) to do the elephant, bait animals and leopard. I'm going to verify that I can get Barnes 400 solids and 400 TSX to print close together. Has anyone used TSX on leopard? I know that's more gun than is needed but I just returned from a 1 gun hunt (.375 TSX on buff, croc, sable and honey badger) and it was so nice to simplify paperwork and packing and always have the right gun. In this case it would be TSX and solids but if they print close together, it could be a good option. I'm checking with the PH of course but wondered about TSX experience on leopard.

I strongly recommend AGAINST using Barnes X bullets for hunting leopards. These monometal bullets need to be pushed to rather high speeds in order to expand rapidly/reliably and they will frequently fail to expand properly on leopards (especially one that is shot over bait or in the heart-lung region from a broadside angle without hitting any major bone),

I personally know of 3 wounded leopards which necessitated a long and intense follow up job, after getting shot by a Barnes X bullet. The bullet always whizzed right through them like a solid, without even getting a chance to expand properly and create a substantial wound channel.

My preference is for old fashioned lead cored bullets with a copper/gilding metal jacket which will expand quickly on leopards. The Nosler Partition actually used to be my favorite leopard bullet, back when you could get it. For your .416 Rigby, I would strongly recommend the Hornady DGX Bonded in 400Gr weight. Or 400Gr Swift A Frames.

I know that taking 3 different loads for your rifle can be a logistical irritation. But you DO NOT want to have to follow up a wounded leopard. Believe me.

Last edited:
I have used TSX in .375 on two leopards with no problem. There are definitely better options for something as small as a leopard. IMHO, most any good soft lead deer round is preferable to TSX. I would follow that with A Frame or TBBC. They seem to leave a larger exit hole than TSX. Good luck and slay a monster.

I agree with both Habib & Wheels that there are better choices than a TSX for leopard. I’m leaving in 4 weeks for a hunt in the Selous that includes leopard. I plan to shoot my 338 Winchester with a 225 grain Bearclaw, but am going to try some 210 grain Nosler Partitions and if they shoot to the same point of impact I’ll probably use those as they’re an excellent bullet for leopard. I’ve shot a couple leopards with Partition and Bearclaw, and they were both DRT.

My PH is of the opinion that if I’m shooting 338 or bigger, it probably doesn’t matter which bullet I use as long as it’s in the right place. But I’m with Habib in not wanting to follow a wounded cat. I want it DRT, under the tree.

I think you’ll find that your 416 probably shoots different bullets very close together as long as you use the same bullet weight and moderate load. I shoot 400 grain bullets at 2,350 in my 416, which is quite a bit slower than I can push them; but it shoots TSX, Bearclaws, A Frames and CEB solids all into a 1.25” group if mixed together. I imagine your Rigby would be similar. An A Frame, Partition or one of the Hornady bullets suggested would be better than a TSX. I also think a Sierra Game King would be an excellent leopard bullet. But no matter which you choose, I imagine you’ll be fine if you just put it in the right place.

I would agree with the others above. I shot my leopard with an A-Frame and I thought it might even be too hard of a bullet but the leopard was DRT. I would think you could find some A-Frames and use them for everything except your elephant.

I can’t wait to read of your success!

@DLSJR mentioned CEB’s. I forgot about them. A couple friends swear by them on cats. They have said the thorax is nothing but jello. Completely destroyed and unrecognizable. The lion or leopard is drt.

I reached out to Hawk bullets about their thin jacket softs as an option. I haven't talked to CEB yet. Any recommendations on which of their solids and softs might group reasonably well? Sierra Game kings stop at .375...no 416.

@DLSJR mentioned CEB’s. I forgot about them. A couple friends swear by them on cats. They have said the thorax is nothing but jello. Completely destroyed and unrecognizable. The lion or leopard is drt.
I think a Cutting Edge Raptor would be a very good bullet for leopard or lion. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Raptor for a leopard.

On my upcoming hunt, I plan to shoot at least 1 buffalo with a Raptor, just because I’ve never used that bullet on buffalo and am told it’s excellent for them. I usually shoot Bear Claws on buffalo and love their performance but want to try a raptor just to see what the chest cavity looks like.

Feel free to recommend other solid/soft bullet combos for the 416 Rigby that group well for you.

I reached out to Hawk bullets about their thin jacket softs as an option. I haven't talked to CEB yet. Any recommendations on which of their solids and softs might group reasonably well? Sierra Game kings stop at .375...no 416.
You want to keep both bullets to as close as identical weight to each other as possible. So 370Gr CEB Raptor & 400Gr CEB Safari Solid.

Those are the 2 CEB options I was looking at. I sent a note to Nikki asking her about it. She has been good to provide load data to me in the past.

If it's much better just to take the 2nd dedicated rifle for leopard and fry him, I will certainly do that. I already have that option standing by...a very accurate 7 STW with an Arca rail that I can lock into a tripod. Both the 7 STW and the 416 Rigby have excellent Swaro illuminated reticle scopes.

If it's much better just to take the 2nd dedicated rifle for leopard and fry him, I will certainly do that. I already have that option standing by...a very accurate 7 STW with an Arca rail that I can lock into a tripod. Both the 7 STW and the 416 Rigby have excellent Swaro illuminated reticle scopes.
No, .416 Rigby is good for leopard and you won't regret it.

That illuminated reticle scope is more important than the caliber of rifle you shoot your leopard with, IMO. It makes precise shooting in low light dramatically easier and that matters most of all.

My PH is requesting the smaller caliber for leopard. No problem. Accuracy in low light is the priority. I will be using the 7 STW with Berger 195's at around 3000 fps. This combo has taken black bear, elk, nilgai, hogs and large deer with 1 shot each. It's also one of my most accurate rifles at 1/4 MOA and has a great low light scope (Swaro X5i 5-25x56). I will bring my hunting ARCA tripod and lock it down in the blind.

I think a Cutting Edge Raptor would be a very good bullet for leopard or lion. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Raptor for a leopard.

On my upcoming hunt, I plan to shoot at least 1 buffalo with a Raptor, just because I’ve never used that bullet on buffalo and am told it’s excellent for them. I usually shoot Bear Claws on buffalo and love their performance but want to try a raptor just to see what the chest cavity looks like.
I have seen two buffalo shot with raptors in the chest. One didn’t move. The second May have gone ten yards. I didn’t see the chest cavity but both animals were drt. Both shots were perfect as well, but sometimes even perfect shots can run 50-100 yards.

My 416 Rigby shoots factory Hornady, Barnes and Swift ammo to same POA/POI. My reloads using 350 & 400gr TSX are the same as well. I shot impalas, warthogs, zebra and blesbok with the 350gr TSX at ranges from 25-220 yards. Exit wounds were approximately the size of my fist on all animals. All the factory ammo and my reloads chronograph at 2411-2428 fps. Not bad for 6 different loads.

Safe shooting

Probably the most important technical decision is the scope. You will likely be shooting in bad light, and it is one of the situations where the extra investment in quality glass makes a real difference.

I am not a huge fan of overbore designs to begin with, but I would urge you to reconsider hitting a leopard inside 100 yards (probably closer to 50) with anything out of 7 STW. The violent expansion from a Berger will likely compound the potential problem. I have no doubt that it will kill him, but he won't absorb all that energy like a bear, elk, or nilgai. You could easily present your taxidermist with a real problem.

Do you have an accurate .270 or 30-06 in the safe?

All great comments above. I would just say that leopard is a light skinned, light bone animal. You want a fast bullet that does NOT retain its weight. You want it to break apart easiky and have it turn off the nervous system. That is when they are drt. Nosler accubonds are a better choice than partitions and may I suggest Hornady sst bullets. When you think leopard, think the exact opposite of what you normally think for tough African game. If you make a good shot anything will kill them. You just need the explosive shock to get a drt. Good luck.

Do you have an accurate .270 or 30-06 in the safe?

This is something I have thought about. There is potential with the fast Bergers to blow out the off side and I'm hoping for a full mount taxidermy. What about switching the scope over to a 7x57? Any load recommendations for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineDru

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]