Anyone has experience with Blaser R8?

I have both the Safari Kilombero and the Professional Synthetic Blaser R8's. They are wonderful rifles, very well made and engineered. I was very hesitant when buying my first one but am glad I did and have never looked back or regretted my decision. They are extremely modular. You have the stock which is has the heart of the gun and is the registered part. The trigger and magazine well detach from the stock. The barrel bolts on with blind nuts in the stock and only needs a slight snug tightening. The bolt assembly unit comes in both left or right hand configurations and will work equally well in the synthetic stocks. They QD scope mounts work. If you want a wood stock it will be either left or right handed.

You should lurk over at the blaserbuds forum if you are interested in a Blaser. Often times there will be items for sell at more reasonable prices. For a new gun I recommend looking at Eurooptic.com

Very nice rifles and shoot very well I have a Safari 458 Lott/ 300 win mag combo and a professional in 9.3x62 with a 308 win bbl on the way.
Scoop mounts are a plus if they come with rifle

I'm chatting with a gent on Blaserbuds today. Two recommendations I've gotten from this community for that site, and I'm grateful. Fingers crossed I get that desert eagle sold this week. Then I'll have most of what I need for the purchase. The XD-M I'm trying to sell may not move very fast , but can later go towards accessories

1494035833923.jpeg
1494035881670.jpeg

Thanks to all the recommendations here. I found this through Blaserbuds.com I picked it up today for much less than a new one. The only things I need now are ammo and that hex key to affix the barrel. Seller didn't have one to spare. I'll have a look on the web, but if someone happens to have an extra one, we should chat

I just picked up one of those t handle ones at hardware store cheep and easy to replace. You will spend way more for same thing with blaster logo..
A #5 metric does the trick just checked mine.
Beautifull rifle

Last edited:
300 WM for this one. The biggest draw for me to the blast family was the array of options. The additional barrels cost a bit, but familiarity and just one system to learn.

I was thinking it was the 5 mm wrench. I watched a bunch of videos last week about these. Blaser has a well presented channel on YouTube with short tidbits

Last edited:
300 win may will get it done. Yes extra barrels, bolt heads etc will add up. I've got a 7 Rem mag and 223 barrel for my R93.
The thing that takes a bit to get your head around is taking the rifle to pieces, then taking it out, putting it all together and making a first round hit on a target at 400yds!
The good thing about the 300 win mag is the 375 H&H and 416 Rem mag are the same bolthead.

The Blaser website has a PDF you can reference for which heads/which calibers, and the diameter of the barrel profile. Great tool for the future.

I'm sure this caliber will do almost all I need

I have the big 60 birthday coming up this year if anyone wants to buy me an R8.:ROFLMAO:

Congrats on your first Blaser. I think you're going to love it, I know I love mine, they are very well made. Now you need a scope mount and a scope and they make them for red dot sights. Both Blaser and Innomount QD mounts work well, especially if using a rail mounted scope. Another good option is the picatinny rail made for the Blaser but it will set the scope slightly higher. Good luck and enjoy.

I got a 30 mm low pro one from the seller. It's just an optic I'm missing at this point. EBay has a selection, but they aren't the Blaser quick turn type

Glad the Blaserbuds recommendations payed off.

Nice looking rig, good luck with it.;)

Anyone have a recommendation on a good, quality scope for not a lot of money? Or one used you'd like to sell?
I'm considering the Nikon Prostaff with BDC. Maybe a used one from a bigger name. Not much rush since my time is always spent, but I'd like to give the new toy some exercise soon

I have used a friend's R8 chambered in 300 WSM. It was a tack driver. The ergonomics were off for me a bit, as I am a lefty and was shooting his right-handed rifle. But, the action was insanely fast to operate very nice trigger. I have a standing search for a left handed Blaser and when I find the right one I am going to pounce on it.

Greetings, though I don't have an R8, I do have the R93. In a trade a have a complete left handed bolt assembly with a magnum bolt head for the R93. If your interested, let me know.

I've got a synthetic thumbhole R8. Very reliable and accurate. Good to go straight out of the box, no need to polish or run-in anything. I found the quality of standard sights to be crap and had them changed for "HIVIZ" ones (highly recommend it to anyone wanting to actually use the irons). You can order your rifle with the HIVIS ones mounted directly at the factory. Trigger is pretty good with no creep and consistent braking. Some people fear losing the trigger/magazine group - it is hard to justify it and if you really feel paranoid about it you can lock the ejection of the magazine group. It takes about 30seconds and then the magazine cannot be removed or fall out. It is fairly pointless but possible nevertheless. The benefit of that system is a reduced overall length of the gun. R8 is about 10cm – 4inches shorter than magnum CZ550 for the same barrel length. In my experience, it is very easy to learn to operate straight bolt – the operation is such that you do lift the handle somewhat to unlock it and the rearward movement comes quite naturally. It is very quick indeed. It’s crucial that you close the bolt fully or your gun may not fire. If the bolt is not fully closed and you squeeze the trigger the firing pin will first drive the bolt fully locked (for safety reasons) and only then connect with the primer. If you have a very soft primer it may ignite it though usually you get a click and a mild impression on the primer. The operation is safe as the primer is only touched once the mechanism is fully locked but a click in place of a bang is obviously most undesirable. Similarly, if you don’t full length size your cases when reloading you ought to drive that bolt home with some authority to ensure it is properly closed. I’m not talking about hammering the thing closed just firm operation, with properly sized/factory ammo it is butter smooth. Safety wise the action is certainly stronger than typical bolt design as you get 360 degrees lock up instead of a more limited one with just a few lugs. Should a case rupture the gases are directed sideways thought ports in the barrel. It would take tremendous amount of force to drive the bolt backwards and should this happen in any gun with bolt in the barrel lock up results will be similar – most unpleasant and quite unpredictable. With bolt lockup in the action instead of the barrel one can theoretically hope that the barrel will fly downrange instead of the bolt flying backwards but it is an unpredictable business. Some people seem to believe that the cut out in tradition bolt action stock will hold the bolt in place should the lockup break but I fail to see how a thin piece of wood can hold what solid steel lugs could not. Supposedly the R8 mechanism was tested to 120,000psi without failure. A comment on the scope mounts – yes they are very repeatable but may or may not fit other barrels without adjustment. My ones can be swapped between 223 and 308 barrels but in order to mount them on 375 they need to be adjusted slightly (quarter turn with a screwdriver) – information for those wanting to use one scope for more than one barrel. Overall all I like the gun a lot and have shot rabbits, buffalo and everything in between with it.

I've got a synthetic thumbhole R8. Very reliable and accurate. Good to go straight out of the box, no need to polish or run-in anything. I found the quality of standard sights to be crap and had them changed for "HIVIZ" ones (highly recommend it to anyone wanting to actually use the irons). You can order your rifle with the HIVIS ones mounted directly at the factory. Trigger is pretty good with no creep and consistent braking. Some people fear losing the trigger/magazine group - it is hard to justify it and if you really feel paranoid about it you can lock the ejection of the magazine group. It takes about 30seconds and then the magazine cannot be removed or fall out. It is fairly pointless but possible nevertheless. The benefit of that system is a reduced overall length of the gun. R8 is about 10cm – 4inches shorter than magnum CZ550 for the same barrel length. In my experience, it is very easy to learn to operate straight bolt – the operation is such that you do lift the handle somewhat to unlock it and the rearward movement comes quite naturally. It is very quick indeed. It’s crucial that you close the bolt fully or your gun may not fire. If the bolt is not fully closed and you squeeze the trigger the firing pin will first drive the bolt fully locked (for safety reasons) and only then connect with the primer. If you have a very soft primer it may ignite it though usually you get a click and a mild impression on the primer. The operation is safe as the primer is only touched once the mechanism is fully locked but a click in place of a bang is obviously most undesirable. Similarly, if you don’t full length size your cases when reloading you ought to drive that bolt home with some authority to ensure it is properly closed. I’m not talking about hammering the thing closed just firm operation, with properly sized/factory ammo it is butter smooth. Safety wise the action is certainly stronger than typical bolt design as you get 360 degrees lock up instead of a more limited one with just a few lugs. Should a case rupture the gases are directed sideways thought ports in the barrel. It would take tremendous amount of force to drive the bolt backwards and should this happen in any gun with bolt in the barrel lock up results will be similar – most unpleasant and quite unpredictable. With bolt lockup in the action instead of the barrel one can theoretically hope that the barrel will fly downrange instead of the bolt flying backwards but it is an unpredictable business. Some people seem to believe that the cut out in tradition bolt action stock will hold the bolt in place should the lockup break but I fail to see how a thin piece of wood can hold what solid steel lugs could not. Supposedly the R8 mechanism was tested to 120,000psi without failure. A comment on the scope mounts – yes they are very repeatable but may or may not fit other barrels without adjustment. My ones can be swapped between 223 and 308 barrels but in order to mount them on 375 they need to be adjusted slightly (quarter turn with a screwdriver) – information for those wanting to use one scope for more than one barrel. Overall all I like the gun a lot and have shot rabbits, buffalo and everything in between with it.
I have an R8 and an S2, each with multiple barrels. Plan on using a different scope with each barrel. Theoretically, a super quality scope could be moved between barrels and pre-determined sighting changes dialed in (I would not attempt that with a Tasco). I am perfectly happy travelling with one rifle, two barrels and their respective scopes.

Do you know why the R93 "blew-up"??? I have seen multiple thread on line about the R93 from spain, but no one can say why.....

There is an article in Deutsche Jagd Zeitung (german hunting news):
https://djz.de/waffen-rueckruf-aktion-der-blaser-r-93-574/

If somebody speaks German, may translate better.
I am not saying this is the reason for recorded blow ups of some r93 rifles, but this article brings concerns.

As per article, generally there are some plastic pieces in the bolt, mainly for r93 off road version, that should be replaced - as suggested.
Total is 0.4% in all r93 rifles delivered from the line with this fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
van240784

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's