Anyone ever weighed their CZ550 in a Bell & Carlson Stock?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
So unfortunately I don’t have a scale with me this weekend but I’ve been shooting a pair of my rifles back to back

Ruger Guide Gun in 338WM with Ruger Rings and a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x scope.

And

CZ550 in 416 Rigby with Warne Rings and a Leupold VX6 1-6x scope.

Handling them back to back, the CZ feels at least a pound lighter. My scoped Ruger weighs in the ballpark of 9.5lbs.

Stock weight on the CZ550s is 9.3lbs, is the Bell and Carlson stock significantly lighter than the standard wood stock?

Just under 10# with 5 rounds of 375H&H, sling, scope and rings. This is just after I got it back from AHR with a #2 upgrade.
1726262846444.png

My CZ 550 458 Lott which has an AHR#2 done to it in the Bell and Carlson,with a 6oz recoil reducer, and AHR qd mount with Trijicon SRO weighs in at 9.64 lbs.
CZ 550 375 HH factory wood stock and barrel length with Leupold VX5 2-10 weighs 11.64 lbs

Do you have to bed the Bell and carson?
I have had them bedded, to the action and barrel channel. The barrel channel was mostly free floating and applying a layer of expoxy for a slicker surface. I have put one on a CZ 458 Lott that I have not shot yet. But, I am not bedding it until after I see how it shoots. It's fit up seems good. I may do the barrel channel surface. That is aesthetic not functional though.

To me, it would depend on the rear recoil lug fit up. If it mates up with consistent full contact, and there are no huge gaps around the action or barrel- that is likely functionally "good enough".

Do you have to bed the Bell and carson?

My Bell Carlson is bedded action,recoil lug and 1 1/2 inches of barrel. Free Floated rest of way. Shoots 1 in group at 100yd. 500gr factory Aframes.
I bedded it myself after asking Wayne at AHR how he would bed it.
I had to replace original wood stock that Wayne had bedded many years ago due to it cracking, found crack after returning from 2023 safari. The 458 lott is noted for cracking at rear tang where mine did.

CZ 458 Lott / 458 Winchester, 22" barrel, non-bedded Bell & Carlson, 1-6x24 EE illuminated Swarovski with lens covers, Alaska Arms rings, AHR trigger, 3 position M70 type safety:
9 lbs 12.3 ounces on my scales
C62B50D8-7403-4DD6-B5CE-47AE8D06D6A7.jpeg

I love my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery with it's pretty walnut stock, but just for comparison here's a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby that weighs 7 1/2 lbs unloaded with a Leupold 2-7x Firedot mounted on it. Apologize for the fuzzy picture.

usomoEO.jpg

So funny story, ended up in the ER last night after shooting through a box of Barnes 416 Rigby's. The recoil didn't seem overly bad at the range but I started having chest pain about 10 minutes after we stopped shooting the rifle.

Turns out I dislocated one of my ribs. Note to self not to fire this rifle again wearing just a T-shirt, adding some additional weight would also likely help.

Anyone else ever caused themselves bodily harm firing one of their dangerous game rifles?:LOL:

500 jeffery I think with that stock is 9.5lbs and my 416 rigby the same...just put my AHR 404 in one but don't have scales here...but feels similar to 416....all I can say is these stocks fit me perfectly, and recoil from all 3 is fine....the wood stock on 404 was unpleasant...but same loads with B&C stock no problem...same 416 is pussy to shoot...

So funny story, ended up in the ER last night after shooting through a box of Barnes 416 Rigby's. The recoil didn't seem overly bad at the range but I started having chest pain about 10 minutes after we stopped shooting the rifle.

Turns out I dislocated one of my ribs. Note to self not to fire this rifle again wearing just a T-shirt, adding some additional weight would also likely help.

Anyone else ever caused themselves bodily harm firing one of their dangerous game rifles?:LOL:

Sorry to hear. When I first got my 500 Jeffery I went to the range to do load development / testing with the 570g TSX. Fired about twenty four rounds. the last 3 were with IMR 4350 the 570g TSX clocked in at 2510 fps. I got home my wife made me go to the doctor. My GP a good old boy asked me which end of the rifle did the damage lol All good just a bad bruise. I've learned to respect "Baby" now it's my favorite rifle to shoot.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear. When I first got my 500 Jeffery I went to the range to do load development / testing with the 570g TSX. Fired about twenty four rounds. the last 3 were with IMR 4350 the 570g TSX clocked in at 2510 fps. I got home my wife made me go to the doctor. My GP a good old boy asked me which end of the rifle did the damage lol All good just a bad bruise. I've learned to respect "Baby" now it's my favorite rifle to shoot.

full

full
Looks like you felt that one. I have minimal burst blood vessels and zero bruising, it was all rather uneventful which is why I’m surprised at the outcome.

With something like your 500 Jeffery or a 505 Gibbs you half expect to have this outcome, but not a 416.

I routinely shoot off boxes of factory 375HH and 458WM without issue.

I’ve thrown the original wood stock back on the rifle and it feels like it has added at least a pound to the total weight.

I’ll go for Round 2 in a couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was shooting in a T-shirt too all from a a rest. Not ideal. My 500 Jeffery weighs 12 lbs with scope w/o sling and unloaded. It still gets your attention with my mild load of a 570g TSX at 2300 fps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Pavlich

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!