Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Wife and I have been thinking of possibly getting an RV; if we do it most likely a fifth wheel.

We'd like to get one so we could travel to the coasts/beach with our pets and not have to worry about boarding them, and what not. Also, so we can be in the comfort of our own bed, and cook when we feel like it or eat out if we so desire.

If anyone here has one, had one, had experience with them, I'd like to hear about it. The pros, cons, new vs. used, etc, etc. Please don't be shy, shoot anything you think may be useful for me to either get one or not. LOL!!!!!

I have only ever had a slide-in truck camper, but I have learned a couple things first hand and by observation. One, rv's/campers, especially the older the model and ones kept outside, are built to leak water. Two, parts can be expensive and sometimes hard to find, so be sure to figure any sort of defect in a used camper into the purchase price.

Other than that, don't buy bigger than you want to store, reverse and tow. Bumper pulls are nice being all on one level but 5th wheels can be shorter because the main bed is up top.

I have also looked at new campers a few times and the quality on some is absolute garbage. I'm speaking of things falling apart and coming loose just from people walking through them so be sure of what you're buying.

Personally I would look at buying used as there are many good deals to be had and if you change your mind or want something different you won't be out as much $$$.

I have spent most of my career living in an RV at job sites. They are a much better option than a hotel for sure. I have had everything from a 16’ tag a long to the 42’ fifth wheel I currently have. I have bought new and used and will never buy a new one again. Trying to get all the gremlins out typically takes a couple years and long stays at the dealership. God forbid you have to have warranty work done at a dealer other than the one you purchased from. Look real hard in the Phoenix and Yuma AZ areas, there are some very good deals down there typically and you can make a nice trip out of going to get your rv and learn all about it on your way home setting up several times.

I have plenty of covered space to store one, I have the pickups already to tow one, but I still rent one whenever I want to use one. Even if I rent one for a week at a time, several times a year, it is still WAY cheaper than buying one. I know that would be different if I was in a different place in life, but I can rarely be gone for more than week or so, and with a business and three children, it is going to be a while before that changes for me.

Wife and I have been thinking of possibly getting an RV; if we do it most likely a fifth wheel.

We'd like to get one so we could travel to the coasts/beach with our pets and not have to worry about boarding them, and what not. Also, so we can be in the comfort of our own bed, and cook when we feel like it or eat out if we so desire.

If anyone here has one, had one, had experience with them, I'd like to hear about it. The pros, cons, new vs. used, etc, etc. Please don't be shy, shoot anything you think may be useful for me to either get one or not. LOL!!!!!
I read fast and thought it said are there any Rivers in here .

I am a fan of slide in truck campers. My most recent one was a Northern Lite and I absolutely loved the quality of it. Very mobile and had everything in it that a larger trailer or 5th wheel would have. They are a true 4 season camper as well.
Downside is that you cannot take it to places where I like to go off road so I sold it and will replace it with a 4 Wheel Camper or Hallmark pop up camper. While not as comfortable as the Northern Lite in terms of luxury, it serves my needs for hunting, fishing etc. and still has everything I need.
I can also easily haul my side by side with a truck camper as well, or any other trailer for that matter.
For my needs, a truck camper checks all the boxes.

There are lots of Youtube videos on the cost and headaches associated with RVs. One of the comments I read on one of these videos was a better investment would be buying a house on a lake.

Thanks for the replies.

A bit more background. I have a Chevy 2500 Diesel, and planning on retiring next year. So my wife and I plan on traveling during the summer while she out on school break.

I like the idea of renting and trying different options. The reason for the fifth wheel is maneuverability and ease of towing, vs. a pull behind one.

I see an RV like having a boat. I did enjoy our boat when we lived in FL, and yes maintenance was not cheap either.

Please keep the comments coming. Thanks!!

Image1689210613.131828.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

A bit more background. I have a Chevy 2500 Diesel, and planning on retiring next year. So my wife and I plan on traveling during the summer while she out on school break.

I like the idea of renting and trying different options. The reason for the fifth wheel is maneuverability and ease of towing, vs. a pull behind one.

I see an RV like having a boat. I did enjoy our boat when we lived in FL, and yes maintenance was not cheap either.

You are good on the truck, my 2016 GMC would pull my 38' Cameo 5th wheel without any problems. In the 20 years of ownership, I'm about to put on it's 3rd roof. It had 3 A/C units and 2 Fan-tasics, 3 sets of tires. I used it for work (construction out of town). It now stays at the deer lease. Like anything else when the new wears off you will know if it is for you or not.

Personally for me, you can rent a lot of hotels/ AIr BnB for 50k plus get 7-8 mpg when you pull it. I'm not trying to talk you out of a toy. I would suggest rent a few first, just to get the feel of it. We have always been fortunate with good neighbors in rv parks. I find it to be more of a hassle if you only stay 2-3 days at a time, setup breakdown is not super crazy, just takes time. Some people it is what they live for, I would never fault them. It just doesn't trip my trigger enough to load up once a month.

@Parra45
My wife and I have been RVing for 15 years and love it. We only have a 15 foot caravan but have had many many good times in it from the snow to the deserts.
My advice for what it's worth is buy 2nd hand as it's a lot cheaper and you can usually get it with all the extras at a far cheaper price than new.
The beauty of the 5th wheeler/ caravan is you can set it up anywhere as a base and explore the region without dragging around with you an short day trips.
A diesel heater and air-conditioning is a must have for year round comfort along with a good solar system and generator. That way even when you stop where there no mains electricity you are set.
Get out there and get it done. You will wonder why you haven't done it sooner.
Bob

Thanks for the replies.

@PARA45 A 5th wheeler and a pull behind are both a piece of cake to reverse (but I drove trucks interstate for over 30 years). Both go where you do as they are attached to your tow vehicle. A tow behind can sway more but anti sway bars fix that problem. Just watch your ball weight with a tow behind but with a 5th wheeler you may need a suspension upgrade as the weight in the bed may exceed your allowable weight. 5th wheelers aren't common in Australia due to the price and the size of the tow vehicle needed.
Work out how much room and comfort you want/ need.
When you get it load it with EVERYTHING you think you will need. Do a short weekend trip and when you get back take OUT EVERYTHING YOU DIDNT USE. That way you have what you NEED not what you think you want.
Bob

RV Life can be $$$$$. We have around 200K invested in 2019-20. However, we have traveled a good bit of the states and really truly enjoy it. Somehow because we go on extended trips we leave all of our problems behind and simply have a wonderful time. In all of that it's good to be mechanically inclined and have the mind set that you can roll with problems. Pulling a house down the road at 65 MPH is a 3.0 earthquake in/on the RV and stuff breaks! Still we wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't get me wrong we still fly to destinations too but really enjoy the RV life. If ever you want to talk just let me know and I'd be happy to share my limited experiences over the last several years.

IMG_2433.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@PARA45 A 5th wheeler and a pull behind are both a piece of cake to reverse (but I drove trucks interstate for over 30 years). Both go where you do as they are attached to your tow vehicle. A tow behind can sway more but anti sway bars fix that problem. Just watch your ball weight with a tow behind but with a 5th wheeler you may need a suspension upgrade as the weight in the bed may exceed your allowable weight. 5th wheelers aren't common in Australia due to the price and the size of the tow vehicle needed.
Work out how much room and comfort you want/ need.
When you get it load it with EVERYTHING you think you will need. Do a short weekend trip and when you get back take OUT EVERYTHING YOU DIDNT USE. That way you have what you NEED not what you think you want.
Bob
Bob,
I pulled my old 1989 Prowler Lynx 18.5ft fifth wheel camper with a 12'lx7'w motorcycle trailer behind it MANY times when dirt biking and quad running in the mountains here. I first pulled it with my '88 Chevy 350ci 2500 pick up and later with my current '02 Ford F250 7.3 diesel. I tried ONCE to back that rig up to no avail. No matter which way I turned, the trailer would jackknife. I'm thinking the wheelbases were too narrow on both the camper and trailer?
P.S: One time we were headed out to camp the next day and I noticed the camper was "listing" to the left when I went to dump the tanks locally. I got home and found two broken leaf springs on the left rear of the camper. No time to fix it, so when I attached the MC trailer it all settled down. We went camping like that! LOL And the rough "trails" we went on to get to our camp weren't a problem. Ha! Ha! I was much younger than. LOL
CEH

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
larryking7p7

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!