Any RVers in the Forum?

I am collecting a 60's something pop up caravan next week. Only chassis and fibreglass bottom and top. No wood. No canvas but the rest is in remarcible shape....I plan on rebuilding it....it is a Vagabond but I cannot find any detail on it...

Para45: A few words of advice, in no particular order.

Watch the GVWR of the trailer or 5th wheel, and don't believe anything the salesman tells you. You don't want to exceed the gross combined weight rating (for truck and loaded trailer). Or to put it another way, you may have have sufficient truck to pull it but do you have sufficient truck to stop it? Give serious consideration to an exhaust brake or compression brake, if your truck does not already have one.

As others have mentioned, where do you plan to store it? This is not just a matter of storage fees, but also security. Most of the storage lots that I have seen, experience periodic break-ins. That potentially adds the cost of pilfered items as well as the cost to repair any damage to the RV / trailer. Of course, if you are able to park it at home, then it is less of a consideration.

New or used, if you walk in and see or smell mildew, walk away. It will be very expensive to fix.

Consider how well the floor plan has been thought out. One of the niceties of RV travel is the ability to stop somewhere safe along the way to take a break and fix lunch. I saw a couple of floor plans where access to the kitchen and dining areas were blocked unless the slide was extended. It was a poorly-designed layout in my opinion.

Give some consideration to whether you might want to add airbags to your truck; or perhaps a airbag on the hitch. There are many different brands from which to choose.

Unlike automobiles, I know of no recognized "Consumer Reports" style organization that conducts evaluations on the various makes and models. Some years ago, there was a CD-ROM produced which offered a somewhat objective rating, but with the many consolidations and changes in the RV industry, I'm not certain whether there is anything which covers the current models.

If you were planning to live in it full-time, there are significant legal considerations but it sounds like that is not the case. Sounds like it's for weekend getaways and relatively short vacations.

OK, that was more than a few words; have fun in your search.

Hope this might help you.

My biggest cons for not getting into RVing is where I go. I travel a lot, and much more relaxing staying at various campgrounds and state parks rather than at hotels/motels.

Which has lead me to think about getting an 18 to 25 foot camper as they seem to be the less troublesome in tight places like turning corners on busy narrow roads/streets and in some campgrounds here in Tennessee.

Then there is finding the the right parking/camper space at some of the campgrounds and parks, regarding larger campers/ RVs that parking space may be the right length for the trailer but not wide enough to allow for the slide out and / or parking your tow vehicle.

The biggest pros for having a camper/RV is space and convenience. A mini version of home on the road. No expensive hotel or motel; and in your case finding one pet friendly without extra cost or limitations for pet(s).

Not to sway you from a 5th wheel or tow behind. Motor homes are nice. Depending on size; there are some very nice conversion van to box truck size motor homes, all the way up to slightly bigger than a Greyhound bus with multiple slide-outs. The drawback to the larger type motor homes is once it's set up. Having to tow a separate vehicle for use when/if traveling in and around the campground like a golf cart or atv, or a car for traveling away from the campsite to sightsee, go to a store or restaurant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErickaVang

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!