Any recommendations for a two person/ 4 season tent?

Corey0372

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, USPA, VFW, RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, VA, TX, NC, PA, MT, ID
I've got a Mule Deer hunt coming up this October in the Frank Church and I'm looking at upgrading my tent setup. I'm not really interested in going the tipi/woodstove route so looking for suggestions for a solid 4 season (backpacking tent).

Currently I'm leaning heavily toward the Skyscraper 2P from Stone Glacier.

Thanks!

ironically,

i was going to suggest the tipi/woodstove route. i have one, had another but a bear wrecked it. best way to camp in any season and enjoy the trip. get an 8 man tipi, then cots, etc and you are living large for 2 or 3 adults.

don

North Face VE 25. Used one all over Alaska in extreme conditions. I may have an extra in my pile of gear if you decide to go that route.

I prefer using a 3 person tent for two hunters, because I like having my gear with me inside the tent.

A porcupine once had a smorgasbord under the vestibule...

I've got a Mule Deer hunt coming up this October in the Frank Church and I'm looking at upgrading my tent setup. I'm not really interested in going the tipi/woodstove route so looking for suggestions for a solid 4 season (backpacking tent).

Currently I'm leaning heavily toward the Skyscraper 2P from Stone Glacier.

Thanks!
How many people going?

Canvas is warmer than nylon

After serving 12 tours of duty as a Scoutmaster, I'm a firm believer in using the largest tent you can get away with.

This geezer doesn't want to spend another night sleeping on the ground if I don't, absolutely, have to.

Are you flying in or drive/hike in? Being mobile may be a big advantage......There are probably two or three deer still alive in the FCW and a lot of real estate between them. Go light......best of luck......FWB

Cabelas still has guide tents. Used mine for ten years in Colorado. As long as your packing in on your back and using a horse I would take a look. Two man for two people will be tight with any gear. I’d go with 3 or 4 man

How many people going?

5 people, flying into unit 27, plan on moving about 6 miles to our first spot, 10 day trip so we have time to move around if we need to.

Overall, the plan is to hunt out of a basecamp, but have the ability to split up/move and setup a hasty camp if we put a buck to bed and want to get back on him at first light.

Cabelas still has guide tents. Used mine for ten years in Colorado. As long as your packing in on your back and using a horse I would take a look. Two man for two people will be tight with any gear. I’d go with 3 or 4 man
Not taking any stock in, or else we'd be taking all kinds of stuff!! haha

+1 for the Hilleberg.com tents. As suggested the 3-person would be much more comfortable for two people. I have two Hilleberg tents, a 3 man and a larger 4-man and they hold up to most abuse and have survived many hunting days in the woods.

Are you flying in or drive/hike in? Being mobile may be a big advantage......There are probably two or three deer still alive in the FCW and a lot of real estate between them. Go light......best of luck......FWB
Flying in, Indian Creek as of now.

We'll all have wolf tags too, so we'll do our part to try and avenge the Muley herds.

I've heard where we're going is pretty good, should be some opportunity for us, got a solid group of dudes that can move, shoot well, and don't mind a little weather and terrain. Even if we don't see anything, as long as there isn't 2 feet of snow it should be a decent little trip regardless.

Saw the header and immediately thought of my Seek Outside Cimarron w/stove till I read your note. That’s what I’ll have in WY this October w/a partner. The stove is a game changer.

Can you clarify: is this for sleeping two people or a 2P tent for one? Rule of thumb I use is to always add one to the rating.

I have a SG Skyscraper 2P. It’s nice but would be tight for two adults with gear for extended length of time and heavier than I’d want for solo backpacking. Works good for me and my 5 year old.
Hilleberg Red rated tents are always a good default answer

Saw the header and immediately thought of my Seek Outside Cimarron w/stove till I read your note. That’s what I’ll have in WY this October w/a partner. The stove is a game changer.

Can you clarify: is this for sleeping two people or a 2P tent for one? Rule of thumb I use is to always add one to the rating.

I have a SG Skyscraper 2P. It’s nice but would be tight for two adults with gear for extended length of time and heavier than I’d want for solo backpacking. Works good for me and my 5 year old.
Hilleberg Red rated tents are always a good default answer

It'll just be me for this trip. I have a lighter Big Agnes that I like a lot, but I wanted something a little more sturdy in case we end up with high winds or snow.

Have you had the SG in any weather? I'm leaning toward them because they have good reviews and I get a decent discount.

I haven’t had the skyscraper in anything hairy yet but I do put a lot of trust in their products
(man crush on Kurt Racicot)
I’m a weight weenie so I’d probably go Hilleberg Akto in your use case but I think you’d be good with the skyscraper 2P esp with a discount thrown in.

I haven’t had the skyscraper in anything hairy yet but I do put a lot of trust in their products
(man crush on Kurt Racicot)
I’m a weight weenie so I’d probably go Hilleberg Akto in your use case but I think you’d be good with the skyscraper 2P esp with a discount thrown in.
Another thing I like about the Skyscraper is it appears that the walls are a bit more vertical than a lot of other similar ones on the market (someone also made a point of this in a review video I saw). I'm not super tall (6'1") but I can't stand having my head against fabric inside tents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharleneHa

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!