Any Other Interests???

Fishing, fishing for the ferocious tiger fish to be exact. It is a hobby because I put a lot of emphasis upon the kit, trying to find the acme in quality and functionality.
Because light tackle is so challenging with this ferocious predator your rod and reel are important, just enough stiffness to set the hook, but soft enough thereafter not to pull it out again.
The rod has evolved to a Megabass Pagani Trad, medium action 6ft with a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 51 and 8lb line. Superb drag.
View attachment 593689
And for the next up a Smiths medium action 6'3" with a Calcutta Conquest 31 SE that has yet to be delivered. This is a 10lb outfit.
Both are trigger grips so you are in direct contact with that fish.
You have to use wire trace with those teeth, and the terminal tackle has evolved borrowing tie-able wire from fly fishing and our own design spinners. Great fun and very satisfying!
Are Tiger fish good eating???

Are Tiger fish good eating???
The flesh is great tasting, but it is riddled with tiny sharp bones, so hardly worth the effort. One compromise is to fillet off slabs to exclude as much bone as possible then fry it in batter and pickle it with onions and pepper corns. Three weeks later and the fine bones are less daunting. Unless the fish is badly damaged we just release them.

I finished this most recent bronze about 6 months ago but never got around to posting here.

IMG_8587.jpeg
IMG_8592.jpeg
IMG_8588.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_8593.jpeg

Incredible work!

Reactions: CJW
Dabbled with knife building for a spell. I should probably get back into that. I enjoyed the file work and pins

1719086257222.jpeg

1719086306311.jpeg

1719086359824.jpeg

1719086407597.jpeg

I’ve been finding and resurrecting 60s-70s BMWs for the last decade.
1719086502951.jpeg

Completely tore this ‘67 down with my dad. We did everything but spray the paint and stitch the vinyl.

1719087042712.jpeg

Unfortunately, Papa didn’t get to see it finished :(

1719087138803.jpeg

1719087185074.jpeg

I really need to get back on safari, though. It’s been too long.

Ed Z

With bronze, curious the process; a cast, ie.

That is incredible. Thanks for sharing.
There are a few ways to do bronzes but I use the “lost wax” method. I sculpt the subject in a non drying clay. There’s a silicone/plaster mold made of the clay model, which destroys the clay. Hot wax is next poured into the mold and a wax replica of the clay is produced. Slight changes can be made to the wax. 3rd step is a silicia slurry dip shell is made around the wax. After mulitioe layers and drying, it’s heated to several thousand degrees which melts the wax out and hardens the shell to a ceramic. Molten bronze is poured into the ceramic shell. After cooling, the shell is broke apart and metal smiths clean up seams etc. The raw bronze is actually a nickel color. The bronze gets it’s patina/color through a chemical/heat application process. After all that, you have ONE bronze. Want more? Start with pouring another wax from the mold.

Dabbled with knife building for a spell. I should probably get back into that. I enjoyed the file work and pins

View attachment 615480

View attachment 615481

View attachment 615482

View attachment 615483

View attachment 615484

Completely tore this ‘67 down with my dad. We did everything but spray the paint and stitch the vinyl.

View attachment 615485

View attachment 615486
View attachment 615487

Ed Z
I took a ride in one just like that in 1974--I still remember it was an eye-opening experience!!
I would possibly have had more fun restoring one of those than the 58-59 Mercedes I worked on.

The flesh is great tasting, but it is riddled with tiny sharp bones, so hardly worth the effort. One compromise is to fillet off slabs to exclude as much bone as possible then fry it in batter and pickle it with onions and pepper corns. Three weeks later and the fine bones are less daunting. Unless the fish is badly damaged we just release them.
People say the same about Pike, but there is a way to filet the bones out...wonder if there is a way for the Tigerfish, or if it's just hopeless.

Have you ever tried canning tiger fish?

View attachment 615480

View attachment 615481

View attachment 615482

View attachment 615483

View attachment 615484

View attachment 615485

View attachment 615486
View attachment 615487

Ed Z
that's nice stuff & beautiful homestead.
It was said BMW maintained their styling cue's for apx. 7yrs for each series, 20 yrs ago. Idk what happened?
1719105963581.png

Idk what happened?
Brother… don’t ask me, but they certainly lost their way. Corporate BMW will have almost nothing to do with the Classic crowd that got them where they are today. The yuge grills are hated by most of us.

Here’s my go-to, fun car. ‘71, 2002 with side draft carbs and the suspension goodies to make it scoot.

1719111746711.jpeg

Ed Z

Apart from hunting/ shooting my other hobby is weight training.
Well... it's probably more than a hobby - it's more a lifestyle.
I was a gym instructor/ personal trainer for many years and along with that earned my Strength & Conditioning coach's certificate as well as being a registered Powerlifting coach.

I used to also compete in powerlifting but age and injuries caught up with me...
I still train really passionately and at the age of 48 can proudly say l'm the strongest l've ever been.

It's a way of life and l wouldn't change it for anything...

Russ

Wow....a lot of interesting hobbies you all have. And some marvelous artisan work.

I use to have hobbies, now all I do is pittle with leather, and wood, spend some time at the rifle/ pistol range, reload, take my boat at from time to time to keep it operational for hunting seasons, and practice with my compound bow and crossbow.

People say the same about Pike, but there is a way to filet the bones out...wonder if there is a way for the Tigerfish, or if it's just hopeless.
Pretty hopeless I think, apparently you can pick out bits between the bones in a cooked fish.

This Forum. Other's interests can open a "world of intrigue". Learning from people, their knowledge of history, etc. "Film" good dialogue, provokes thought.

"The Iron Lady" Margret Thatcher, short clip I shared with my Doctor ;)

A few more wood projects I did last month.

Ashtray & bottle opener.

IMG_1638.jpeg

IMG_1639.jpeg

Rustic flag.

IMG_1366.jpeg

Cigar holder.

IMG_1197.jpeg
IMG_1239.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VelvaRancl

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.