Another new member from the Lone Star State

txtrout75218

Reaction score
Just taking a moment to introduce myself. Live in Dallas, grew up bird hunting over hunting med/big game. Mostly since it was mostly Quail and Doves where I lived, along with rabbits and the occasional other critter. All the mule deer and elk were long gone before I was born and we're exterminated when my great grandfather move into the panhandle area.in 1900. Now the area is thick with whitetails. Starting to take up hunting Texas Dangerous Game - wild hogs.

Planning on my first trip to South Africa in 2024 or 2025 with Numzaan Safaris since they cater to non-hunters. Still working on the timing, etc. My wife and teenage daughter are going with me, this is a place that has more than hunting for them. Another friend and his wife may also go.

Focused on a few medium plains animals, perhaps one of the larger antelopes. I currently plan to take a Mauser 30-06 (180 to 200 grain) and perhaps my 7-mm 08 (120 to 140.grain), my deer and elk rifles. Unless a Ruger #1 in 30-06 finds it's way into the house.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH.
Enjoy the rest of your planning.

Welcome to AH Robert. For sure get a Ruger No1 30-06, it will do all the PG quite fine.

:S Welcome:

Welcome aboard textrout75218. Sounds like you have a plan!! Your 30-06 and 7mm-08 are both great calibers for African Plains Game with sizes commensurate to what you use these rifles for now. If you are really planning on adding a Ruger NO.1, why not consider something a little more powerful? Will your wife and daughter be hunting as well or just observing? I've hunted Hogs in Texas several times with my boys. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I'm the only hunter. My daughter likes to shoot, but only considers hunting hogs, for as she says, they are ugly... She doesn't hunt deer, but will go on a bird hunt. She enjoys shooting paper and other inanimate objects.

As for a Ruger #1, larger than a 30-06 would be super specialized for me to have. The 7mm-08, 308, 30-06 are more practical for me to have and use. And perhaps a .243 in a Ruger #1. Was all I could do to not pick up one in Manlicher stock yesterday. I love the look of single shots.

Last edited:
txtrout75218, show your daughter a picture of a Warthog. She may consider hunting one. Your 7mm-08 would be great for that.

Giday Robert and welcome to the A H forums

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Back to rifles. I had considered using a Savage 99 in 308 there for everything, but had read that you are not allowed to bring in lever action rifles. However, I see that many USA hunters use lever action rifles in RSA. How are you able to do that with the regulations?

Last edited:
Welcome, sure glad to have you here!!

Welcome to the forum, @txtrout75218 . I am up in McKinney and have really enjoyed my time in this community; and have met some incredibly nice and generously helpful people. Have yet to book my first trip to Africa; but in the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for a Ruger No. 1 in 30-06 for you. Cheers!

Just taking a moment to introduce myself. Live in Dallas, grew up bird hunting over hunting med/big game. Mostly since it was mostly Quail and Doves where I lived, along with rabbits and the occasional other critter. All the mule deer and elk were long gone before I was born and we're exterminated when my great grandfather move into the panhandle area.in 1900. Now the area is thick with whitetails. Starting to take up hunting Texas Dangerous Game - wild hogs.

Planning on my first trip to South Africa in 2024 or 2025 with Numzaan Safaris since they cater to non-hunters. Still working on the timing, etc. My wife and teenage daughter are going with me, this is a place that has more than hunting for them. Another friend and his wife may also go.

Focused on a few medium plains animals, perhaps one of the larger antelopes. I currently plan to take a Mauser 30-06 (180 to 200 grain) and perhaps my 7-mm 08 (120 to 140.grain), my deer and elk rifles. Unless a Ruger #1 in 30-06 finds it's way into the house.

Robert

Welcome to AH! I'm down by Boerne, Tx. My wife and I did a safari with Numzaan Safaris a few years ago and it was an incredible trip. If you would like to discuss, let me know. By the way, my wife's rifle was a Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 Mauser. I bought it originally but she has claimed it as her own! Love that rifle.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! Also great news you are planning a safari.
please communicate with Numzaan and discuss the size of the areas you will be hunting to make sure you get the hunt you want

welcome welcome welcome

Welcome @txtrout75218 !

Please don't hesitate to reach out the the many fine members and outfitters alike all with a wealth of knowledge they are happy to share!

Texas is our second home! Please feel free to call on us personally if we can be of any assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineCre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!