AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
I have just apply for a license to own a SAKO.300 AV full stock rifle. This is totally a new scenario to me..I always focused on bushveld calibers in a Mauser action control feed hunting rifles.
This speedster will be a new approach to hunting for me..the most relevant being re-loading not to cause excessive meat damage when hunting plains game , especially small frame game like Springbuck on the plains of the Northen Cape here in South Africa...most shots will be in the region of 300 meters..

Choosing the most appropriate bullet for this type of shooting , , I need a bullet weight/type that will not cause excessive meat damage as stated previously.
SAKO 1 37d4dd16-3cf8-4c83-b837-eb8689502b38.jpeg

Rhino 180 grain and 165 would do nicely in .300 mag

I shoot the barnes TTSX in my 300 short mag, that should work just fin in your 300WM.

168gr ttsx is very versatile in my 300wm and slightly higher BC if you want a mono metal bullet.

My PH in EC uses 200gr ELD-X in his 300 Win Mags... They work very well, I am a Barnes guy myself.

I have just apply for a license to own a SAKO.300 AV full stock rifle. This is totally a new scenario to me..I always focused on bushveld calibers in a Mauser action control feed hunting rifles.
This speedster will be a new approach to hunting for me..the most relevant being re-loading not to cause excessive meat damage when hunting plains game , especially small frame game like Springbuck on the plains of the Northen Cape here in South Africa...most shots will be in the region of 300 meters..

Choosing the most appropriate bullet for this type of shooting , , I need a bullet weight/type that will not cause excessive meat damage as stated previously.
View attachment 619073
The .300 Win Mag is a great caliber. I.have used mine with 180 grain Accubonds to take mule deer, black bear and moose in NA. In Zimbabwe I switched to 200 grain Accubonds to take a waterbuck and nyala at less than 50 yards, a bushbuck at about 200 yards and an impala ewe at about 300 yards. The impala wss for meat st the request of the property manager. The Accubonds seem to upset quickly, but not over violently. Even the impala, which was the smallest animal I shot, was not excessively meat damaged.

The .300 Win Mag is a great caliber. I.have used mine with 180 grain Accubonds to take mule deer, black bear and moose in NA. In Zimbabwe I switched to 200 grain Accubonds to take a waterbuck and nyala at less than 50 yards, a bushbuck at about 200 yards and an impala ewe at about 300 yards. The impala wss for meat st the request of the property manager. The Accubonds seem to upset quickly, but not over violently. Even the impala, which was the smallest animal I shot, was not excessively meat damaged.
Doug thank you kindly, yes, I am getting a lot of information in regards to the pro`s and con`s of the .300 WIN MAG caliber rifle..I will be taking this SAKO to the range shortly and see how accurate it is and how good shooting rifle it is (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) Meat damage always is a concern , since I am hunting only to have venison in my fridge..on the other hand my dogs need to eat as well...acceptable meat damage is not a great issue..

My shot placement is always just behind the front leg , breaking only two ribs with minimum meat damage internally...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeboraMcDa

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]