AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
I have just apply for a license to own a SAKO.300 AV full stock rifle. This is totally a new scenario to me..I always focused on bushveld calibers in a Mauser action control feed hunting rifles.
This speedster will be a new approach to hunting for me..the most relevant being re-loading not to cause excessive meat damage when hunting plains game , especially small frame game like Springbuck on the plains of the Northen Cape here in South Africa...most shots will be in the region of 300 meters..

Choosing the most appropriate bullet for this type of shooting , , I need a bullet weight/type that will not cause excessive meat damage as stated previously.
SAKO 1 37d4dd16-3cf8-4c83-b837-eb8689502b38.jpeg

Rhino 180 grain and 165 would do nicely in .300 mag

I shoot the barnes TTSX in my 300 short mag, that should work just fin in your 300WM.

168gr ttsx is very versatile in my 300wm and slightly higher BC if you want a mono metal bullet.

My PH in EC uses 200gr ELD-X in his 300 Win Mags... They work very well, I am a Barnes guy myself.

I have just apply for a license to own a SAKO.300 AV full stock rifle. This is totally a new scenario to me..I always focused on bushveld calibers in a Mauser action control feed hunting rifles.
This speedster will be a new approach to hunting for me..the most relevant being re-loading not to cause excessive meat damage when hunting plains game , especially small frame game like Springbuck on the plains of the Northen Cape here in South Africa...most shots will be in the region of 300 meters..

Choosing the most appropriate bullet for this type of shooting , , I need a bullet weight/type that will not cause excessive meat damage as stated previously.
View attachment 619073
The .300 Win Mag is a great caliber. I.have used mine with 180 grain Accubonds to take mule deer, black bear and moose in NA. In Zimbabwe I switched to 200 grain Accubonds to take a waterbuck and nyala at less than 50 yards, a bushbuck at about 200 yards and an impala ewe at about 300 yards. The impala wss for meat st the request of the property manager. The Accubonds seem to upset quickly, but not over violently. Even the impala, which was the smallest animal I shot, was not excessively meat damaged.

The .300 Win Mag is a great caliber. I.have used mine with 180 grain Accubonds to take mule deer, black bear and moose in NA. In Zimbabwe I switched to 200 grain Accubonds to take a waterbuck and nyala at less than 50 yards, a bushbuck at about 200 yards and an impala ewe at about 300 yards. The impala wss for meat st the request of the property manager. The Accubonds seem to upset quickly, but not over violently. Even the impala, which was the smallest animal I shot, was not excessively meat damaged.
Doug thank you kindly, yes, I am getting a lot of information in regards to the pro`s and con`s of the .300 WIN MAG caliber rifle..I will be taking this SAKO to the range shortly and see how accurate it is and how good shooting rifle it is (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) Meat damage always is a concern , since I am hunting only to have venison in my fridge..on the other hand my dogs need to eat as well...acceptable meat damage is not a great issue..

My shot placement is always just behind the front leg , breaking only two ribs with minimum meat damage internally...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayfordRob

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.