Alaska hunt...

many use .223 on an ar platform for caribou and moose for meat for their villages. ive seen them floating the noatak river with this setup.

Well, more likely mini14s than ARs. And they (indigenous) are allowed to shoot at animals in the water, which nobody else is. I still more often see them with a Mosin or old 30-06. A hunting party on water, is still less likely to have an encounter than just a pair of hunting buddies.

Great advice from all…
I’ve hunted there 4 times in TONGAS FOREST…. Black bear / wolf… used 338 WM
270 ….. but these are NICE RIFLES …. Take what you have but I’m going back in May 2024 and taking STAINLESS SYN STOCK…. Salt and weather hard on rifles
Will be in 280 AI

Well, more likely mini14s than ARs. And they (indigenous) are allowed to shoot at animals in the water, which nobody else is. I still more often see them with a Mosin or old 30-06. A hunting party on water, is still less likely to have an encounter than just a pair of hunting buddies.
the ones i saw ran upriver in a boat with ar’s, then floated down. i was on a fly in trip out of Kotzebue. being as isolated as some of the villages are, they use what is most practical/available.

i live on the east side of alaska: the yukon. i used so far 270 win, 375 ruger, 9.3x62, 30-06, 308 win, 340 wea mag, 300 win mag, 300 wea mag, 338 win mag and 458 win mag .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CDGPaulina

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt