Alaska hunt...

In my opinion, 300WM is not enough gun if you intend to shoot a “full bag” in AK. Great caliber but when you factor in Coastal Browns + Grizz and the potential to have a long shot on other game, bigger is better. 300 PRC, 33 Nosler or 338WM (or similar) would be a better choice.

:Bored: The 300WM & the 300PRC are literally the same caliber and very similar velocities. The real advantage of the 300 PRC is paper specifications of twist rates, leade angles, and case design for cold barrel hit percentages @700 yds and further. I haven't met the person living here that had an undergun problem with the 300WM. I also shoot with FClass masters than have been quite successful with the 300 WM with custom chambers. But, downstream energy and accuracy are unnoticeable unless you are routinely shooting past 700 yds.

I've noticed most of the guys with decades of professional hunting experience (Boddington, Spomer, Petzal) have all roughly said the same thing. From the 270, 7mm, and 30cals... outside of more noise, they really don't do much more than the other. The differences tend to be more in pickiness for ease of loading, temperament for reloading, availability in your favorite vendors rifles, etc...

What I do see year after year is guys with poor glass and poor physical conditioning getting mad because they don't see anything or can't get to stuff.

:Bored: The 300WM & the 300PRC are literally the same caliber and very similar velocities. The real advantage of the 300 PRC is paper specifications of twist rates, leade angles, and case design for cold barrel hit percentages @700 yds and further. I haven't met the person living here that had an undergun problem with the 300WM. I also shoot with FClass masters than have been quite successful with the 300 WM with custom chambers. But, downstream energy and accuracy are unnoticeable unless you are routinely shooting past 700 yds.

I've noticed most of the guys with decades of professional hunting experience (Boddington, Spomer, Petzal) have all roughly said the same thing. From the 270, 7mm, and 30cals... outside of more noise, they really don't do much more than the other. The differences tend to be more in pickiness for ease of loading, temperament for reloading, availability in your favorite vendors rifles, etc...

What I do see year after year is guys with poor glass and poor physical conditioning getting mad because they don't see anything or can't get to stuff.
A couple observations . . .

My comments were driven not by the ability to kill any specific piece of game (which a 300WM can do) but by a sense of self preservation around highly dangerous game. There is a reason most places have minimum DG calibers in Africa (and its not because smaller calibers can’t kill the animal).

In my experience the 300PRC is devastating on game. MUCH more so than a 300WM, IMO. I get that you are citing actual data but it does not translate to the target that way. The fact that they are both 30 cal is irrelevant . . . A 22 short and 22-250 are also the same cal. On light skin game a heavier bullet does more damage and has more stopping power, all else equal. As it is, 300WM is most often around 170gr, where 300PRC is 220gr. That is a 30% difference and I assure you it is noticeable on game.

The primary reason that a 300WM is too small is because, well, if you were getting charged by a Brown Bear, I am reasonably certain that every person asked would prefer to be holding any of the calibers that I listed, rather than a 300WM; and do so without sacrificing anything (with the exception of long range reach of the 338).

A couple observations . . .

My comments were driven not by the ability to kill any specific piece of game (which a 300WM can do) but by a sense of self preservation around highly dangerous game. There is a reason most places have minimum DG calibers in Africa (and its not because smaller calibers can’t kill the animal).

In my experience the 300PRC is devastating on game. MUCH more so than a 300WM, IMO. I get that you are citing actual data but it does not translate to the target that way. The fact that they are both 30 cal is irrelevant . . . A 22 short and 22-250 are also the same cal. On light skin game a heavier bullet does more damage and has more stopping power, all else equal. As it is, 300WM is most often around 170gr, where 300PRC is 220gr. That is a 30% difference and I assure you it is noticeable on game.

The primary reason that a 300WM is too small is because, well, if you were getting charged by a Brown Bear, I am reasonably certain that every person asked would prefer to be holding any of the calibers that I listed, rather than a 300WM; and do so without sacrificing anything (with the exception of long range reach of the 338).

Actually the fact that they are 30 caliber IS relevant. It means both can be loaded with the same bullets. Yes, usual factory ammo for the PRC is heavier than the 300 WM, but most of those choices in 300 PRC such as the ELD-X are better for shooting paper than bears. Also try and find them on the shelves right now. On the other hand 300 Win Mag choices do exist in the including the Barnes 180 gr VorTX, which I'd take over a cup and core 220 grain bullet for bear. If you hand load then you can load a 300 Win Mag with any grain bullet just as well as a 300 PRC. In the 300 Win Mags case you can find brass a heck of a lot easier. Were I to choose a 30 cal for all around up here to include bear protection the 300 WM still wins.

The 300PRC (~2018) was brought about specifically for long range target shooting with tighter chamber tolerances, higher twist rates, and a longer cartridge to seat longer, heavier, higher BC bullets. This also requires a full magnum action like that used by the 375H&H.

The 300WM (~1963) was designed as a hunting cartridge with chamber tolerances set much looser to make sure cartridges feed, fire and extract in conditions that are other than ideal. At the time, it was a huge step up in velocity and energy from the 30-06.

The difference between the two DOES exist, but it is minimal unless ranges at or beyond 1000 yards become the norm. The real difference is ammo and brass availability not performance on game animals if all other things are equal. @AES - If you are seeing such a difference in performance, I'd be interested in the data, pictures, videos...etc you have showing a side by side comparison of these two cartridges.

Both the 300WM and 300PRC are great cartridges, but if I were going to AK for a hunt that included brown bear...my 375H&H would be in my hands (and yes I own a 300WM). In reality, I'd take the 375H&H to AK no matter what I was hunting, just because there is the potential for bear encounters.

Here is a short video from Ron Spomer on the 300WM vs 300PRC. The 10:30 point is where the real comparison starts.

IMO - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9

Last edited:
I understand all of the points above and own rifles in both calibers - really like both. I do not reload but did buy 6 boxes of ELDx and ELDm off of the shelf yesterday for $79/box. Less expensive and more available than 300WM in VorTX (which is what I shoot out of my 300WM). Either way, Ammo scarcity is not something that I figure into a $50k+ hunt.

Agree my preference would be a 375 but I do not have one in a synthetic stock.

Outfitters do not suggest clients shoot 300WM. They always suggest larger, in my experience. There is a reason for that.

I understand all of the points above and own rifles in both calibers - really like both. I do not reload but did buy 6 boxes of ELDx and ELDm off of the shelf yesterday for $79/box. Less expensive and more available than 300WM in VorTX (which is what I shoot out of my 300WM). Either way, Ammo scarcity is not something that I figure into a $50k+ hunt.

Agree my preference would be a 375 but I do not have one in a synthetic stock.

Outfitters do not suggest clients shoot 300WM. They always suggest larger, in my experience. There is a reason for that.
Ammo availability in Charlotte, NC isn't not in question as it pertains to this thread. Finding it in a remote town in Alaska is a completely different story. And you should absolutely consider it part of the planning for a hunt costing $50K.

Planning for any hunting trip (for me) includes a firearm contingency plan. What if my rifle makes it but not my ammo...or ammo but no rifle. Travel with friends who are using the same calibers would help mitigate the possible loss of a single bag. If hunting with a guide (or PH) I absolutely ask what camp rifles will be available and the cost of rental. Or, if only the ammo is lost, would I be able to purchase some from the guide or at a local store. What ammo would I expect to find? Will it suit the hunt requirements... Lots of questions to be asked when spending money (let alone $50K) on a guided hunt. Call me a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Last edited:
Ammo availability in Charlotte, NC isn't not in question as it pertains to this thread. Finding it in a remote town in Alaska is a completely different story. And you should absolutely consider it part of the planning for a hunt costing $50K.

Planning for any hunting trip (for me) includes a firearm contingency plan. What if my rifle makes it but not my ammo...or ammo but no rifle. Travel with friends who are using the same calibers would help mitigate the possible loss of a single bag. If hunting with a guide (or PH) I absolutely ask what camp rifles will be available and the cost of rental. Or, if only the ammo is lost, would I be able to purchase some from the guide or at a local store. What ammo would I expect to find? Will it suit the hunt requirements... Lots of questions to be asked when spending money (let alone $50K) on a guided hunt. Call me a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Ammo availability is also not in question. The question was “which caliber for a full bag AK hunt?”

Agree totally on contingency plan … and when the guide lets you know what their rental gun is for a hunt including coastal browns, it likely will not be a 300wm.

Ammo availability is also not in question. The question was “which caliber for a full bag AK hunt?”

Agree totally on contingency plan … and when the guide lets you know what their rental gun is for a hunt including coastal browns, it likely will not be a 300wm.

I live here, and I personally know a lot of guides. I don't carry a 300WM, but I'm pretty sure it is the most common caliber in the state. The "all guides carry a 375 H&H" hasn't been true for 20 years. I suspect bullet quality mostly, but also 300WM is cheap and available. Despite the wild imaginations, the average guide isn't made of money. I've never heard a guide here recommend a certain cartridge. Almost all say "Shoot what your comfortable with", and then when *PRESSED* by somebody who wants justification, the guide will offer "Well, probably wouldn't hurt to start with X cartridge", which the hunter immediately rounds up and doubles just to be safe on. The guy then says "I'll bring the eargestsplitten loudenf@cker precision cartridge", and the guide rolls his eyes and says "Great, that'll work fine". Guy gets off the phone and tells his buddy, the guide said I have to have the 429 eargestsplitten loudenf@cker 3000 precision +P+

Last edited:
Call me a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Both the 300WM and 300PRC are great cartridges, but if I were going to AK for a hunt that included brown bear...my 375H&H would be in my hands (and yes I own a 300WM). In reality, I'd take the 375H&H to AK no matter what I was hunting, just because there is the potential for bear encounters.

Don't lie, your gonna bring your Allen wrench and BOTH barrels. It's the belt and suspenders in you. Two ammunition streams and both good cartridges for most things NA. I'd probably bring my .375 also, but only because I want to. The .300 WM will do fine with a 200 grain A frame or TSX. No PRiCk needed. :A Outta:

I’ve hunted brown bears since 1998 and guided since 2006. I prefer a client bring a 375 or minimum, 338. A 300 will work but so will an arrow.

Hello people! My question is what rifle and caliber do those who hunt in Alaska use or prefer to use? It's a doubt I have... Thank you
If your an Inuit you’ll use 30-30 (or even less). Non natives will use 30-06,.338..375,
12gauge(and others). But as everywhere else, it’s mixed bag of various cartridges. Personally, I’d make sure I keep one of my 44 magnums strapped on.

The 300PRC (~2018) was brought about specifically for long range target shooting with tighter chamber tolerances, higher twist rates, and a longer cartridge to seat longer, heavier, higher BC bullets. This also requires a full magnum action like that used by the 375H&H.

The 300WM (~1963) was designed as a hunting cartridge with chamber tolerances set much looser to make sure cartridges feed, fire and extract in conditions that are other than ideal. At the time, it was a huge step up in velocity and energy from the 30-06.

The difference between the two DOES exist, but it is minimal unless ranges at or beyond 1000 yards become the norm. The real difference is ammo and brass availability not performance on game animals if all other things are equal. @AES - If you are seeing such a difference in performance, I'd be interested in the data, pictures, videos...etc you have showing a side by side comparison of these two cartridges.

Here is a short video from Ron Spomer on the 300WM vs 300PRC. The 10:30 point is where the real comparison starts.

IMO - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9

When I was in my early 20s and immortal my BDL in 270 Win was a cannon and plenty enough gun with 150g Partitions for Rocky Mountain grizzly bears. My only brown bear hunt in Alaska I used a 375 H&H at 13 yards and it felt a bit small lol

I’ve hunted brown bears since 1998 and guided since 2006. I prefer a client bring a 375 or minimum, 338. A 300 will work but so will an arrow.
tell me more, that it is not much to dream about these trips... dreams are dreams...
I love my M12 in 338wm with the 210 grain nosler partition

If I were to head to Alaska, it would be for something large like a brown bear. I'd probably be shouldering a 375 h&h, maybe a 416 or 458 if it was thick terrain with guaranteed short shots. In the event I was hunting for something smaller, maybe 300 weatherby or 338 win mag. I would probably also consider bringing the 50AE pistol more so because I've never had a reason to lug that beast anywhere else for a hunt.

When my youngest brother was coming up to hunt a bear about 30 years ago, he asked "Should I bring along my .357?"
"Heck yes" I replied
"Will I need it?"
"No, but where else can you wear it hunting without feeling like a horse's ass?"
He brought it, wore it, and had fun shooting it.

My only black bear story worth telling. Killed a 150 -200 lb black bear at 10 feet. One shot and dead with 1 1/4 oz of six shot. So close it was just a quarter size hole.

If your an Inuit you’ll use 30-30 (or even less). Non natives will use 30-06,.338..375,
12gauge(and others). But as everywhere else, it’s mixed bag of various cartridges. Personally, I’d make sure I keep one of my 44 magnums strapped on.
many use .223 on an ar platform for caribou and moose for meat for their villages. ive seen them floating the noatak river with this setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOCRabon

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]