AHG Trophy Shipping

Lot of outfitters not really taking too kind to this.
To clarify, I got the sales pitch on Taxidermy in RSA (Every RSA resident I've discussed taxidermy with gives a sort of sales pitch on doing it in RSA), and on shipping and specifically on the package deal or "one stop shop". We also discussed various curios both African items made in various countries and curio type items to be made from our animals. Like belts, book ends, furniture, light fixtures, etc.

We did not discuss any direct hunting financial issues or bookings. I'm aware of his Africa Dawn program from attending SCI. But he did not bring it up at Afton which is appropriate as I was there to hunt with a non participating Outfitter.

I used them during Covid, my crate was ready to ship and paid for in late February or early March but was held up when everything shut down in March. I finally received the crate in June of 2021. It ended up adding about $1000 to my bill but communication was pretty good and the crate was held in a secure wharehouse and arrived in good shape.
I’m thinking of using them next year but I need to research what taxidermist they use because I am very particular about my taxidermy.

Without controversy, can any one clearly comment on the quality of shoulder mounts that AHG Taxidermy has done for them? Who else is a respected taxidermist in Johannasburg that would pick up dip and ship from another country for mounting?

When l used them they were only doing the shipping. I’m curious as well about the taxidermy side as well.

Without controversy, can any one clearly comment on the quality of shoulder mounts that AHG Taxidermy has done for them? Who else is a respected taxidermist in Johannasburg that would pick up dip and ship from another country for mounting?
Richard or his company does not directly di taxidermy. He facilitates it by having volume deals with i think at least 3 taxidermists in RSA, somewhat geographically dispersed. There are some examples of the work from each at Afton House.

From what I've seen it is above average for South Africa. Some are really great. @Just Gina loved the Giraffe and plans to have her recent one done the same. There is a spectacular kudu. A couple of things I thought could have been better, especially small predators. But that was subject to my taste in how the eyes and faces looked.

Although I don't think it speaks to the quality, I met a guy at one of lodges we hunted out of who is a taxidermist in the US. He and I think 3 friends were on their first African hunt and were making it a bit of a whirlwind tour and had so far taken 70 critters amongst them. This guy said the AHG deal was so good that he could not dip and pack and mount them himself for that cost. These guys were talking about buying a container to ship all their stuff back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hefty Jefe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.