African Lion Full Mount For Sale

LP67

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Friend is testing the water on selling his Lion full mount. Would anybody be interested in this and what would be fair price?
a48aff8a-8570-44e5-ad6f-1d416c4f223d.jpeg
8f6c672a-b474-4c79-8682-0b40f8ed2c2e.jpeg
8f6c672a-b474-4c79-8682-0b40f8ed2c2e.jpeg
Located in Arkansas

That's beautiful, no idea what it's worth lol I sure wish it was easier to import those things!!

Just depends, Ive seen them free and up to 10K There was an auction here in Colorado Springs a few months ago that had real tigers mounted way back in the day, I was shocked how cheap they went. I bid but was in Africa and missed the end of the auction so lost out. I simply wanted them for decour in my man cave. I might also be interested in this lion if the price is right. Let us know when you come up with a price

What is the legality on selling a CITES animal? Just curious

Just depends, Ive seen them free and up to 10K There was an auction here in Colorado Springs a few months ago that had real tigers mounted way back in the day, I was shocked how cheap they went. I bid but was in Africa and missed the end of the auction so lost out. I simply wanted them for decour in my man cave. I might also be interested in this lion if the price is right. Let us know when you come up with a price
Will do, hope to get idea here
from country to country - cant do that. Within the country legal IF the hunt/importation was legal at the time it was hunted/mounted .In this case it was a legal hunt and importation

Will do, hope to get idea here

from country to country - cant do that. Within the country legal IF the hunt/importation was legal at the time it was hunted/mounted .In this case it was a legal hunt and importation
Also Lion is CITIES 2 at that time it was hunted so even less of a problem

My LIMITED understanding is it can be sold but must stay within the state it currently resides in- basically can't cross state lines but again that's just anecdotal info from other sales I've seen done.

As far as money, it looks like a very mature specimen, well done taxidermy piece. Of course it's only worth what someone might pay but I'd think the ballpark of $10K is reasonable especially if someone was going to pay the $15K for one of those new replicas being done.

Curious the asking price? I helped a friend recently auction off everything from a bull elephant with replica tusks to PG, Cape buffalo etc with beautiful mounts. They went from $500 to a full body water Buffalo mount for $3,000…who would do a full body mount like that much less buy is beyond me. My friends had an Africa theme great room…they were not hunters, they bought everything. What I learned through helping them is Taxidermist selling is about 20-30% recovery cost. An exception was my friend had a 51 inch kudu…I made sure the auction house advertised this rare mount and he got $2,000 for it. GLWS

Curious the asking price? I helped a friend recently auction off everything from a bull elephant with replica tusks to PG, Cape buffalo etc with beautiful mounts. They went from $500 to a full body water Buffalo mount for $3,000…who would do a full body mount like that much less buy is beyond me. My friends had an Africa theme great room…they were not hunters, they bought everything. What I learned through helping them is Taxidermist selling is about 20-30% recovery cost. An exception was my friend had a 51 inch kudu…I made sure the auction house advertised this rare mount and he got $2,000 for it. GLWS
61 inch not 51 inch

Wow a few hundred $ for the Elephant/Buffalo mounts, did not expect that. What did his full mount African Lion go for?

So sorry and wish I could paste but I just googled a full mounted lion for sale…in my opinion a little better than this mount went for $2,880 with 48 bids for it. I just learned taxi sales just do not garner near what it cost for the simple reason most hunters want their own not someone else’s and people that just want a theme can easily find it for low costs from estates

As has been mentioned. If selling out of state it might be wise to get legal advice.

As has been mentioned. If selling out of state it might be wise to get legal advice.
Thanks but Unless the laywer can help establish what a full mount like this is " worth" , I dont think so. If and when the owner sell it , it will be within the laws if any. It was imported legally , hunted legally and mounted by renowned taxidermist legally.

Thanks but Unless the laywer can help establish what a full mount like this is " worth" , I dont think so. If and when the owner sell it , it will be within the laws if any. It was imported legally , hunted legally and mounted by renowned taxidermist legally.

....and if US law states it can not be sold interstate?

Doesn't matter if the lion was shot legally. Imported legally. Mounted legally. It matters what the law says.

Thus my comment about legal advice.

Obviously do what you want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StuartMcKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia