African Lion Full Mount For Sale

Possibly reconsider selling your prize. It has value to you and brings back memories. If it's money that is the driver to sell it, auction it all off and don't look at the prices they realize as it will only upset you. Take the money and don't look back. Good luck with your situation!

My father passed in April, my brother is disposing of his 80-90 mounted animals, including a shoulder mount elephant, life size brown bear, leopard, etc etc. The truth is, after my brother has spoken to attorney's, DNR, and whoever else he spoke to, no one agrees on the same law. What is known is he can sell the African animals easily enough, at least those without CITES permits, then anything that could be indigenous to Maryland, where my father lived, cannot be sold. Meaning, the 4 bears he shot in Canada cannot be sold anywhere. It is an almost impossibility to understand the rules when what we consider agencies who should know do not seem to know.

So it may come down to this. What they don't know won't hurt them. Do you really think that some govt agency has the time to track every mounted animal in the US? If you bring it to their attention then yea hell they can't even keep up with one laptop in Washington.

I can offer some insight. I recently helped the wife of a deceased hunter-friend liquidate a trophy collection of over 150 various species.

It's important to check state laws first because each state governs what can and cannot be sold across state lines or sold at all (e.g., post-ban elephants). Due to the size of the collection, I used a reputable auction house, Western Sportsman Auction, based in Ft. Worth Texas. They are absolute professionals with an on-line auction that reaches many more prospective bidders than a live auction that likely requires bidders to allocate time and expense for travel and hotel.

In this case, the collection was based in Pennsylvania. We had lions and leopards. We photographed them as you did in your post, took measurements and sent those details to Western Sportsman. They subsequently used the pictures in the item descriptions at auction time.

Western Sportsman picked up all the other trophies for a fee which they then deducted from the auction proceeds. The lions and leopards had to remain at her home and could only be bid on and sold to PA residents. Not only did they sell everything, the lions and leopards were verifiably sold to PA residents who picked them up once they settled with the auction house. Thinking through that still amazes me. It would have taken time and cost to find legitimate buyers of those lions and leopards if we went about selling them on our own.

I can also tell you that price is in the eye of the beholder. The bigger, more complex and more costly taxidermy specimens brought surprisingly less than expected. That can often be attributed to the physical space they might require. Still there are as many buyers out there as stars, some of whom will pay handsomely for a grand animal. In my experience over the years, many people don't know what good taxidermy should look like. So, even if an item has some "warts", things will generally sell. It comes down to the level of exposure to the right audience. The online auction gave us that exposure.

As a side note, I had asked Western Sportsman for estimates before the sale. They don't blow smoke and they were generally spot-on except for some good surprises. It might be helpful to know that Western Sportsman will also buy trophies outright, and they will auction single pieces and collections.

Auction is just an option. I will provide contact information for Logan Thomas at Western Sportsman in case it's ever needed by anyone. Email: logan@westernsportsman.auction. Phone: +1 832-829-0000. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Can you shed any light on how much a few of the items brought? How many pennies on the dollar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgfhrfrtgsdfa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?