Advice for my rifle

My trigger adjustment screws have some sort of epoxy or glue over them. Is that indicative of this rifle not having an adjustable trigger, or am I supposed to remove the epoxy to then adjust the screws?
That's an adhesive to keep the factory trigger setting. Tamper with it at your own risk.

That's an adhesive to keep the factory trigger setting. Tamper with it at your own risk.
Well the online manual says it’s adjustable if it was made in 2008 or later. I’m not sure if there’s a visible distinction to help me determine if my rifle falls into that category. My record keeping has since improved, but I don’t recall when I purchased the rifle.

Ok, so I’m attempting to remove the stock, but I seem to be stuck. I removed both action screws, then the bottom metal and the magazine box, but I can’t get the stock to separate from the receiver. It wiggles slightly (primarily from the rear portion), but seems to be firmly held into place at about the point that the forward action screw would go. Any advice on how to proceed?

I’ve tried tapping with a hammer and solid plastic piece on exposed ledges within the receiver, while erring on the side of caution to prevent damage. I’ve taken a couple stocks and receivers apart on other rifles, so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or why it is stuck.
That’s way too tight. I take mine apart for each complete cleaning session after hunting season.

May have missed it in the entire thread but the best advice I can give is take it to a reputable gunsmith and have him borescope it. Any 7RM that's been abused by running ammo through it too quickly is likely to have a torched throat and no amount of dicking around with every variable is going to make it shoot better. At various gun ranges, I've seen way too many fire breathing magnums pounded to an early end of life sitting on a rest and rear bag.

That’s way too tight. I take mine apart for each complete cleaning session after hunting season.
Strange thing is, it goes back together easily (I would say appropriately snugly but easily). It don’t know if the angle of pulling it apart, but disassembly is a bear each time, but the front lug and stock slide together nicely when reassembling.

May have missed it in the entire thread but the best advice I can give is take it to a reputable gunsmith and have him borescope it. Any 7RM that's been abused by running ammo through it too quickly is likely to have a torched throat and no amount of dicking around with every variable is going to make it shoot better. At various gun ranges, I've seen way too many fire breathing magnums pounded to an early end of life sitting on a rest and rear bag.
You may be right. So far everything has checked out from a torque and appearance perspective.

Anyone know of a reputable gunsmith in southern AZ? Phoenix is acceptable, Tucson would be preferred.

My model 70 action is that tight as well in the stock. I have to beat it out sometimes. When putting it in i have to tap on it with a rubber hammer, but when it is in it’s good. I was not shooting well with it at all until I changed out the trigger for a 2lbs timney. If the trigger pull is to hard you can be torquing the rifle. Actions screws on my m70 safari is 35 inch.

My model 70 action is that tight as well in the stock. I have to beat it out sometimes. When putting it in i have to tap on it with a rubber hammer, but when it is in it’s good. I was not shooting well with it at all until I changed out the trigger for a 2lbs timney. If the trigger pull is to hard you can be torquing the rifle. Actions screws on my m70 safari is 35 inch.
Just a couple of things to check 1, that the front scope base screw is not too long it may be bottoming out on the barrel threads. 2 that the magazine box has some up & down play when the action screws are tight, if it is tight it may be affecting the bedding, the rifle should group irregardless of the heavy trigger, change the scope, shoot it off bags not lead sled, if all else fails bore scope the barrel , there is no rifle that can not be fixed with a new bbl weather it is worth the cost is up to you, a mod 70 is a nice rifle a 24-25 inch 1-9 twist Douglas , Shillen, or Pac nor should fix it.

Have you tried a different scope on the rifle? I once had Leupold with a loose reticle.
Also closely inspect barrel crown.

My trigger adjustment screws have some sort of epoxy or glue over them. Is that indicative of this rifle not having an adjustable trigger, or am I supposed to remove the epoxy to then adjust the screws?
Yes that is Loc Tight or something. I just scraped it off carefully with a screwdriver. That should be the adjustment screw. You back it out i believe to lighten the trigger. Certainly if you would consider a 2 pound replacement, why not back that screw out and try it? I doubt you will get it down to 2 pounds. I did this on my 375 H&H about 7 or 8 years ago so may not remember exactly but I think I ended up taking the screw out all the way.

Just a couple of things to check 1, that the front scope base screw is not too long it may be bottoming out on the barrel threads. 2 that the magazine box has some up & down play when the action screws are tight, if it is tight it may be affecting the bedding, the rifle should group irregardless of the heavy trigger, change the scope, shoot it off bags not lead sled, if all else fails bore scope the barrel , there is no rifle that can not be fixed with a new bbl weather it is worth the cost is up to you, a mod 70 is a nice rifle a 24-25 inch 1-9 twist Douglas , Shillen, or Pac nor should fix it.
I was aware of the potential for a front base screw being too long when I installed these bases, so I’m confident that isn’t an issue.

I wasn’t aware of wanted a little play in the magazine box, so I’ll check that and see how it is. Thanks!

Yes that is Loc Tight or something. I just scraped it off carefully with a screwdriver. That should be the adjustment screw. You back it out i believe to lighten the trigger. Certainly if you would consider a 2 pound replacement, why not back that screw out and try it? I doubt you will get it down to 2 pounds. I did this on my 375 H&H about 7 or 8 years ago so may not remember exactly but I think I ended up taking the screw out all the way.
All this trigger adjustment advice is not good, do not fiddle with the adjustments unless you know what you are doing, if you can not handle a hunting rifles trigger at about 3 lbs get a new hobby. the rifle must be safe at the expense of accuracy for all the people around you.

All this trigger adjustment advice is not good, do not fiddle with the adjustments unless you know what you are doing, if you can not handle a hunting rifles trigger at about 3 lbs get a new hobby. the rifle must be safe at the expense of accuracy for all the people around you.
This certainly isn’t bad advice, thanks. To be fair, the newer Model 70’s have adjustable triggers and the manual describes how to adjust. I’m still learning the inner workings of this rifle, obviously. So I’m trying to work slowly and research multiple sources.

Why? If you read my earlier post, every Winchester of that era that I own has a trigger set at about 5 pounds. On my 375 I had to completely remove the screw to get it down to 3 pounds. It won't go lower. 5 pounds makes it difficult to hold on target when pulling that hard on the trigger. Lots of rifles out in the field at 3 pounds and lighter.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Keep the safety on until ready to put your finger on the trigger. Don't point the muzzle at people. You can hunt with a 3 pound trigger and practice safe gun handling.

No one should mess with the rifle if he intends to be unsafe. And you certainly would not want to scrape that epoxy or loc tight off the adjustment screw if you plan to be dangerous and sue Winchester when something bad happens. But if you are a responsible person and practice safe gun handling, the screw is there to allow adjustment....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.