DG870

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA ( NE, SD, CO, WY, OK, TX)
I have a Leupold Vari-X II 6x18 on a Tikka T3 Heavy barreled rifle in 22-250. I would like to add an Elevation Turret. Leupold’s Custom Shop isn’t open. I’ve contacted Leupold about their adjustable S1 and S5 turrets and they are no longer available either. Has anyone tried the Stony Point adjustable turrets? They are out of production but are available on eBay. Just wondering if they are usable or if there are any other options. Thanks!

I'd do Kenton, as @Firebird mentions. Highly recommended.

I thought about adding a turret to a 4.5-14x40 but in the end I decided to just sell that scope and purchase a Leopold CDS scope. Better results in the end.

I have a Kenton turret that was added to my VX-R 3-9x40. The machining and quality is great. This is the equivalent of the leupold S1 turret. Honestly that scope wasn’t made for dialing and wasn’t super repeatable. I would suggest a different scope with the CDS versus trying the Kenton/leupold route. The CDS has a locking feature and is lower profile than the S1 turret.

Have not done business with that company but can highly recommend Kenton Industries-
Do you think they could remove Leupold’s CDS and install a normal 1/4 MOA adjustment with a cap? I was considering selling scope since Leupold custom shop is closed and I’m not a CDS fan, but this thread got me thinking.

Do you think they could remove Leupold’s CDS and install a normal 1/4 MOA adjustment with a cap? I was considering selling scope since Leupold custom shop is closed and I’m not a CDS fan, but this thread got me thinking.

Probably. Go to Kenton Industries and try their configurator. If you get stumped, give them a call. A+ service for a great price.

I have a Leupold Vari-X II 6x18 on a Tikka T3 Heavy barreled rifle in 22-250. I would like to add an Elevation Turret. Leupold’s Custom Shop isn’t open. I’ve contacted Leupold about their adjustable S1 and S5 turrets and they are no longer available either. Has anyone tried the Stony Point adjustable turrets? They are out of production but are available on eBay. Just wondering if they are usable or if there are any other options. Thanks!
I have the Stoney Point turret on one of my older Leupold scopes. Works great.

The CDS turret is better because of the lock button on the turret which makes it impossible to accidently move it from "Zero". But the Stoney Point does what it is designed to do...let you dial in elevation adjustment with your fingers vs. removing the cover and using a screwdriver/dime.

And it's way cheaper than a new scope....

The Custom Shop is closed but they are still doing the Custom Dials for people.

The CDS turrent is still just a 1/4 MOA click system when you remove the finger dial. That's how you zero the scope before placing the custom dial on it. Why sell your scope? Just zero it at whatever range you want and put the Turret cap on and lock it on zero. Even if you never use the finger adjustment it is locked on zero like any other scope.

Last edited:
Thanks for your ideas. I think I will sell the scope and pick up something else that has turrets. This is a nice scope but it doesn’t have click adjustments. It has MOA marks on the adjustment dials so you have to guess on increment less than 1 MOA.

The Custom Shop is closed but they are still doing the Custom Dials for people.

The CDS turrent is still just a 1/4 MOA click system when you remove the finger dial. That's how you zero the scope before placing the custom dial on it. Why sell your scope? Just zero it at whatever range you want and put the Turret cap on and lock it on zero. Even if you never use the finger adjustment it is locked on zero like any other scope.
Maybe I’m missing something, I’ll send you a PM rather than continue here. But to answer your question. I’m unhappy Leupold is pushing their entire line toward CDS. I bought the scope I bought for firedot not CDS, but that was only option Leupold has. I don’t understand what happened to idea of building a scope where rifle could fall down mountain and still be on. I don’t view the dial as being tough or rugged. I simply want to sight a rifle in, screw a protector cap on top of it, and forget about it like almost every scope use to be just a few years ago.

+1 on the importance of a zero-stop on a dial. I had an older vortex scope that didn’t have a zero stop, if you don’t get it right… you can have a significant miss at longer distances. Been there, and regret it!

the Leopold scope you are talking about is IMHO a quality scope for a 22-250 and pretty sure it has actual clicks not like the previous earlier Leopold scopes that were not
because you have the clicks it is not as prone to move or at least l have not seen any problem
l agree with what Terminator has said as l have used one myself for years
cheaper than a new scope

PVukPUK.jpg

Attachments

• PVukPUK.jpg
    PVukPUK.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamelMacCu

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?