Actual Itemized Costs of Dipping, Packing, Shipping and Mounting three Trophies from Zimbabwe 2021

Very informative - thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JHT
JHT, all things considered about 3,000$ per animal isn’t outrageous, I’ve probably paid more some time and less other times. Having Kanati do the final work you should have mounts to enjoy for a lifetime!!
One thing I’ve never seen a crate made of slats, they have always been light plywood. Yours looks much more durable than most.

Reactions: JHT
It appears 2 people in here got charged more then the actually weight. Why is that? Is Coppersmith or other importer worth the $1200?

The shipping companies charge by volumetric weight not actual weight (don’t have a clue how it’s calculate) my latest shipment was 96kg actual weight and 301kg volumetric weight. The clearance companies know all applicable laws and procedures, their cut is usually around $500 most of the other fees are for inspections, storage and airline transfer fees that there is really no way around. So in my opinion they customs brokers are worth every penny.

JHT, all things considered about $3,000 per animal isn’t outrageous, I’ve probably paid more some time and less other times. Having Kanati do the final work you should have mounts to enjoy for a lifetime!!
I agree. I can't wait to go back next year and do it all over again with twice as much in the crate.

Last edited:
Wowza, looks like pictures are all I’m bringing home for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the latest costs.

Just pictures for me for the foreseeable future as well. I’m fine with it. It’s either that or hunt less
That is how I did it when I went. I researched the probable costs before going, based on what I was hoping to get and quickly realized it was going to cost more than the hunt itself, including airfare! It was actually the best decision I could have made and I haven't regretted it. Here is the unexpected benefit- if you know you aren't bringing it home, you don't need to wait for the biggest thing around and pass on good opportunities. I told my PH I would shoot whatever he felt was good enough to take and went into it with the mindset the experience was what really mattered, not the size of the animals. This allowed me to have the most enjoyable, relaxed, stress-free hunt I have ever been on!

That is how I did it when I went. I researched the probable costs before going, based on what I was hoping to get and quickly realized it was going to cost more than the hunt itself, including airfare! It was actually the best decision I could have made and I haven't regretted it. Here is the unexpected benefit- if you know you aren't bringing it home, you don't need to wait for the biggest thing around and pass on good opportunities. I told my PH I would shoot whatever he felt was good enough to take and went into it with the mindset the experience was what really mattered, not the size of the animals. This allowed me to have the most enjoyable, relaxed, stress-free hunt I have ever been on!
I agree with you up to a point, maybe only mount an exceptionally big animal, great tracking job o very memorable shot. But I may look at my photo albums once a month and at the video’s every six months or so but I sit in my trophy room everyday to wind down. In the future I won’t mount as many animals take more photos and maybe have a hunt professionally done.
I just received my clearance invoice from coppersmiths and will try to post all charges tomorrow.

I agree with you up to a point, maybe only mount an exceptionally big animal, great tracking job o very memorable shot. But I may look at my photo albums once a month and at the video’s every six months or so but I sit in my trophy room everyday to wind down. In the future I won’t mount as many animals take more photos and maybe have a hunt professionally done.
I just received my clearance invoice from coppersmiths and will try to post all charges tomorrow.
Yes, I would include that as an exception as well. If you get lucky enough to have the first shootable specimen of a given species be a monster, then you would clearly want to get that home. For me I wouldn't be focused on that, so if it happened it would be a great bonus and add to an awesome hunt. Then it would be worth figuring out, but it wouldn't be at the cost of the experience.

Albert,

Did you leave all your skulls and hides in Africa? Or bring them home but didn't get them Taxidermied?

Albert,

Did you leave all your skulls and hides in Africa? Or bring them home but didn't get them Taxidermied?
I left everything there and when I got back I spent about $300 on similar size and shaped skulls and capes off eBay for everything I took, with the exception of the kudu, which ended up being rather sizeable, so I wasn't able to find a close match. But the PH was a friend so the horns are hanging at his place which means I can still see them when I go back. I know it's not the same as having what you harvested yourself, but it was a compromise I was willing to make

I understand Albert its way to expense now. Theirs alot of people now putting their hand in hunters pockets. It's gotten out of control.

Doss anyone have a list of dip and packers and shippers for around Harare Zimbabwe?

Complete after safari cost. Full body klipsringer, wall pedestals of springbok, bushbuck blesbok and gemsbok, roan with floor pedestal. Taxidermy cost 3880.00
Shipping,crating and permits, 3642.00 SBS logistics
Coppersmiths clearance and transportation to warehouse, 450.00
Warehouse fee 50.00
Terminal handling215.00
Turkish airlines storage 198.00
USDA 28.00
CITES inspection 93.00 (not sure about this one, no CITES in this crate)
Grand total 9556.00 about 1600.00 per trophy.
Will drive to Atlanta Sunday and pick up on Monday.

My 9 also averaged ~$1,600 each for taxi and all shipping costs - delived to my garage. This included $1,095 ground freight from DFW to ABQ in May.

The hunt and Taxidermy was in RSA, not Zimbabwe, however. Very happy with the quality of @LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY btw. 5 shoulder mounts (incl a Kudu), 3 Euro, and zebra rug. Taxidermy only was $8,400.

Complete after safari cost. Full body klipsringer, wall pedestals of springbok, bushbuck blesbok and gemsbok, roan with floor pedestal. Taxidermy cost 3880.00
I have to ask where & how long ago your taxidermy was done? The cost is much lower than I'm seeing now days.

The safari was with Shaun Keeny safaris and the taxidermy was done in house, safari was June of 2021. Northwest Province and Limpopo Province of South Africa. The mounts they were working on were very good but have only seen pictures of my mounts so won’t know how mine turned out until I can go over them up close.

Shipping,crating and permits, 3642.00 SBS logistics
Coppersmiths clearance and transportation to warehouse, 450.00
Warehouse fee 50.00
Terminal handling215.00
Turkish airlines storage 198.00
USDA 28.00
CITES inspection 93.00 (not sure about this one, no CITES in this crate)
Grand total 9556.00 about 1600.00 per trophy.
Will drive to Atlanta Sunday and pick up on Monday.
What was your cost breakdown for the Taxidermy works. Seems like a good price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia