A Proper Plains Game Rifle

The only other thing you may find yourself wanting to change is the safety. When mine is slung over my right shoulder it rubs on my side and will easily get flipped down, or off safety. I hope to change mine to a 3 position someday.

Nice rifle.

I am bitterly jealous over that .250 :A Way To Go:
@Red Leg
The little 250 Savage is an amazing little round the the pissant 243 killed off unfortunately.
The little 250 will do everything the 243 will and then some. With a nice 117gr SST it is an amazingly good big deer round and with a 75gn VMAX will reach way out and smack pesky little critters. The 100gn TTSX at 3,000fps would make a great general purpose bullet.
I do love the 25s.
Bob

@Red Leg
The little 250 Savage is an amazing little round the the pissant 243 killed off unfortunately.
The little 250 will do everything the 243 will and then some. With a nice 117gr SST it is an amazingly good big deer round and with a 75gn VMAX will reach way out and smack pesky little critters. The 100gn TTSX at 3,000fps would make a great general purpose bullet.
I do love the 25s.
Bob
My dad was a big fan of the .250 as well, my preference leans on the .257 Roberts, just a bit more poop.

My dad was a big fan of the .250 as well, my preference leans on the .257 Roberts, just a bit more poop.
Have had the Roberts improved and the .25-06 (two presently). I wish my Roberts AI shot better as it was a fun cartridge. Was a McGowen and sent it back and had the new tube done in .25-06 and it shoots much better.

I am bitterly jealous over that .250 :A Way To Go:

Thank you, yes the little FN makes a wonderful Vaal rhebuck, mountain reedbuck and common reedbuck rifle. Of course what is really great is that the chaps across the North Atlantic (FN, Mauser using the Kurtz action, etc) had the insight to use a 1:10” twist instead of the 1:14” used by Savage, enabling you to use 100-120gr bullets. I’ve found that the 100 gr Swift A-frames are perfect for this rifle.

Thank you, yes the little FN makes a wonderful Vaal rhebuck, mountain reedbuck and common reedbuck rifle. Of course what is really great is that the chaps across the North Atlantic (FN, Mauser using the Kurtz action, etc) had the insight to use a 1:10” twist instead of the 1:14” used by Savage, enabling you to use 100-120gr bullets. I’ve found that the 100 gr Swift A-frames are perfect for this rifle.
Exactly. I had a lovely little 99 takedown for several years, but could never get useful accuracy with a 100+ grain bullet. I finally sold it to a collector friend who has likely never fired a shot out of it of any weight.

Have had the Roberts improved and the .25-06 (two presently). I wish my Roberts AI shot better as it was a fun cartridge. Was a McGowen and sent it back and had the new tube done in .25-06 and it shoots much better.
Had a mediocre shooting Ruger 77 once, but not long, then a Remington Classic that shot ver well and took a Montana 'lope with it and now have a Ruger K1-A Stainless single shot that shoots quite well and plan to keep it.

@sestoppelman
Another great round the 243 killed off. There's something about the 25s, they just seem to work. I do love my 25s especially the fast ones but I also enjoy my little 25-20.
Bob

@sestoppelman
Another great round the 243 killed off. There's something about the 25s, they just seem to work. I do love my 25s especially the fast ones but I also enjoy my little 25-20.
Bob
My .257 WBY in a R8 :cool: is fast becoming my favorite North American rifle. I am long time fan of the .270, but this little round is like a hard hitting laser.

My .257 WBY in a R8 :cool: is fast becoming my favorite North American rifle. I am long time fan of the .270, but this little round is like a hard hitting laser.
@Red Leg
There's something about a nice 100gn TTSX at 3,660fps out of my 25 that gets me excited. Shoots flat as a shit carters hat and hits hard a looong way out and amazingly accurate to go with it.
Bob

@Red Leg
I do love the 25s.
Bob
My 250-3000 Ruger model 77 RSI is first up this upcoming deer season loaded with 117 grain round nose bullets. I am working hard to get these new knees in hunting shape.

My 250-3000 Ruger model 77 RSI is first up this upcoming deer season loaded with 117 grain round nose bullets. I am working hard to get these new knees in hunting shape.
@MS 9x56
I'm tempted to try those 117gr round noses in my 25 at 3,300fps.
Even at the speed the little Savage does it should lay deer low at sensible ranges.
Bob

I’ve used the Hornady 117 gr. RN bullets loaded in my .250 Savage rifles to take a few deer. It seems like a match made in heaven. Hits hard, penetrates and breaks bone, and exits, while shooting accurately. Farthest shot was 250 M, closest about 40. That bullet at 2700 FPS inspires much more confidence for me than any 100 gr. bullet at 2900 FPS.

I’ve used the Hornady 117 gr. RN bullets loaded in my .250 Savage rifles to take a few deer. It seems like a match made in heaven. Hits hard, penetrates and breaks bone, and exits, while shooting accurately. Farthest shot was 250 M, closest about 40. That bullet at 2700 FPS inspires much more confidence for me than any 100 gr. bullet at 2900 FPS.
@Longwalker
Let's see that pissant little 243 perform that well. Oh that's right it WON'T.
Bob

I
168 gr ttsx out of a 30-06 will take any PG you want to shoot easily… my primary 308 load is 168 gr ttsx traveling at about 2700 fps… it’s killed everything from impala to zebra and a whole lot in between…

Sweet FN… great find! And sounds like you got a great deal on it!
I second that 168 ttsx from a 30-06 is serious medicine for all PG

Thats why I traded my Ruger RSI 243 for my Ruger RSI 250-3000. Holes on both sides and short blood trails.
@MS 9x56
That's just down right mean. You got the better deal. You shouldn't give a 243 to anyone unless you really really dislike them.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuneY37727

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.