A Proper Plains Game Rifle

Nice rifle, I'm a fan of 180-grain bullets for the 30-06 but use what shoots best in your rifle. I'm a huge fan of the 35 Whelen and love the idea of the 400 Whelen, just make sure your brass is head stamped for the 400 and not for the 30-06 or the 35 Whelen. The SAP could give you trouble if the head stamp on your brass doesn't match the stamp on the barrel.

Nice rifle, I'm a fan of 180-grain bullets for the 30-06 but use what shoots best in your rifle. I'm a huge fan of the 35 Whelen and love the idea of the 400 Whelen, just make sure your brass is head stamped for the 400 and not for the 30-06 or the 35 Whelen. The SAP could give you trouble if the head stamp on your brass doesn't match the stamp on the barrel.
Thanks!

Yes, I have a good supply of properly headstamped quality cartridge .400 Whelen Brass.

I see there are front sights but the rear (iron) sight has presumably been removed? Probably to make the scope fitment possible.

There is no indication of rear sights ever having been installed as there is nothing d/t in the barrel. I believe these were designed for the addition of a receiver mounted aperture using the screws on the side of the receiver just forward of the bolt. To utilize those some wood would need to be removed from the stock. I believe this has had a scope mounted from the day it was purchased or shortly thereafter.

That FN is a lovely rifle. I have a similar .250 Savage and a 7x57, and waiting for a 9,3x62 license. Replacing the military two stage trigger with a Timney is simple plug and play.

Then mount a 3-9x36 Z3 or similar scope and you have the most reliable plains game rifle available, with the ability to hunt steenbuck through to eland.

Did you get the original rear sight with?

Lastly, that stock has a lot of potential if you strip the varnish and finish it with a traditional oil finish.

View attachment 542440
View attachment 542441

The oil finishes on your rifle are gorgeous. I know a guy that will refinish them very reasonably and does fine work.

Hmmm, now you got me thinking!

Like both rifles. Those FN's are very nice. I have one of a similar year as yours that someone miss used a steel cleaning rod and the barrel was in poor condition so I built a 9.3x62 off the action.

You will be able to hunt any plains game and DG with your pair of rifles.

Like both rifles. Those FN's are very nice. I have one of a similar year as yours that someone miss used a steel cleaning rod and the barrel was in poor condition so I built a 9.3x62 off the action.

You will be able to hunt any plains game and DG with your pair of rifles.
This is the exact route I want to go as soon as I can find a suitable action or busted up donor rifle.

That FN is a lovely rifle. I have a similar .250 Savage and a 7x57, and waiting for a 9,3x62 license. Replacing the military two stage trigger with a Timney is simple plug and play.

Then mount a 3-9x36 Z3 or similar scope and you have the most reliable plains game rifle available, with the ability to hunt steenbuck through to eland.

Did you get the original rear sight with?

Lastly, that stock has a lot of potential if you strip the varnish and finish it with a traditional oil finish.

View attachment 542440
View attachment 542441
I am bitterly jealous over that .250 :A Way To Go:

Adjusting pull weight of a trigger is one thing...eliminating creep is another. +1 on the Timney trigger.

Full disclosure...I have never hunted Africa and presently have no immediate plans. However, recently I have started putting Africa more on my radar and have been thinking about a simple battery for when I do book a hunt. My heavy rifle is easy...and not really very heavy. It is a custom .400 Whelen built on a Montana 1999 action that my wife wanted me to commission for our 20th anniversary.

4SjVs5m.jpg

It was built more with Alaska in mind so is cerakoted and has a synthetic stock but I reckon it won't be the first synthetic rifle to ever line up on an eland or buffalo :) Duplicating .450/400 ballistics with 4 down in the magazine does not seem like a terrible option.

My plains rifle has taken up a bit more space in my head trying to decide what would be the most enjoyable for my first safari. I immediately thought about a full custom with fancy wood and all the trimmings. The more I thought about it, I really liked the idea of searching for a used rifle with some soul that would check a few boxes. I trade rifles as a hobby/side-business so I get to see a lot of neat stuff and have found that focusing my search really adds to the fun of a scavenger hunt.

My short list of cartridges would be 7x57, .30-06 and .300 H&H. Lots of other good choices but these just felt right. I really wanted a mauser action and prefer FNs...bonus points for ones with nice FN crests. Commercial or military would be just fine as long as the action was solid. I wanted nice (but not fancy) wood with good checkering and some character. As long as the stock was solid and not totally beat to hell I would be happy. I actually wanted to see some wear on both the wood and the steel. With no street credit of my own in Africa it would be nice if at least one of us looked like we had been there before :)

I actually was hoping for something with a little heft to it. I hunt mountains a lot here in NA and my NA hunting rifles have all started losing weight as I age and tire of packing 9+ pound rifles up the hills. For this though, I expect a lot of shooting from sticks and, like most, I simply shoot a heavy rifle better.

This past weekend a dealer friend of mine turned me on to an estate sale. We went over together and put an offer in on a package of guns. Lots of standard stuff with a few nice nuggets but nothing I was too excited about keeping for myself. We went out to our vehicles and he said..."hey, you wouldn't be interested in an old FN .30-06 would you?". We are good enough friends I didn't even pretend to be disinterested. He pulled it out of his car and when I unzipped the case I could tell this was something special. The butt plate was FN, the wood was solid with some honest wear, the stamping on the receiver was perfectly clear and underneath the weaver scope bases I could see a nice FNH crest just peaking out. The step-down barrel was beautiful with a nice front sight, complete with hood. The numbers on the barrel matched the receiver and the bluing was nearly perfect except right at the muzzle. I wouldn't have minded a little more metal wear but I guess you can't have everyting :)

He told me what he wanted for it which was way too low- so I offered more. Realizing he was up against a professional negotiator, he countered below me and the deal was struck. We swapped FFLs and I am now in possession of my "perfect" plains game rifle.

RSO3UYq.jpg

4U6fV8a.jpg

KJRCS7N.jpg

The stepped-contour 24" barrel is nicely weighted and finishes at .600" at the muzzle and I love the checkering.

RvwqS4M.jpg

ZoSHP9Z.jpg

1AsMJLN.jpg

e9z3Zrd.jpg

It wore an old 1" steel scope with fine crosshairs and no markings but is likely of similar age to the rifle. That will be replaced with something a little more modern but likely no more fancy than an older friction adjustment gloss Leupold 2.5-8, or 3-9. When I removed the bases I was even happier than I thought I would be.

N3fFGmb.jpg

The only thing that absolutely has to be changed is the trigger. I have been married long enough that I can put up with a lot of irritating things...but a creepy 8 pound trigger isn't one of them. If I can get it worked on and get a nice crisp sub 3 pound trigger I will be happy. If not, an aftermarket will be installed.

I believe I will even keep the original butt plate.

VQ3E0fk.jpg

The only really modern thing I have planned for this rifle is bullets. I am thinking a 168 TTSX will be tough to beat for the application. Just hoping I can work up a load using cheaper cup/cores that flies similarly enough that I can get lots of trigger time off the sticks.

Thanks for letting me share!
@MedRiver
Beautiful rifle in a great caliber. When you wear the barrel out you can always rebore it to 35 Whelen. Another great plains game caliber.
Bob

Congratulations, that’s a nice rifle & the .30-06 is great. Try Hornaday spire points for practice, and at ‘06 velocities I wouldn’t be afraid of them on game either.
Thanks!

My first 30+ head of big game were with a .30-06 shooting 165 core-lokts and Interlocks. Great bullets at those speeds

Both nice rifles, no experience with 4OO Whelen. Fully understand you going for the FN 30-06, my bullet weight of choice for 30-06 is the 180gr. I have used the 180gr with great success on springbuck, warthog, impala, wildebeest(black and blue), kudu, fallow etc.

Was going through Ludwig Olson’s book “Mauser Bolt Rifles” and see what appears to be a very close match to my rifle…with no rear sights on the barrel.

Perhaps mine is early and the models with sights came later or just different factory options of the same vintage?

View attachment 542848
The early F.N.s did not have a barrel mounted rear sight. They instead had from the factory a receiver sight that was installed on the right side of the reciever. Many of those were removed by the buyer when they decided to mount a scope. I have owned 3 of them one of which had a S/N in the 9xx range and that's the way they all were built. Truly superb rifles and the military trigger is very easily and inexpensively replaced. I used a Dayton Traister trigger on the 270 that I still own and its very nice. Good luck with yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuneY37727

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.