A modernized 416

Don't have any experience with DG rifles. Are oversized bolt knobs something that people run on them?
I don’t think it’s commonplace on the traditional European style safari guns but I will be running one on my modernized build.

I don’t think it’s commonplace on the traditional European style safari guns but I will be running one on my modernized build.
I've been seeing bigger knobs showing up on newer European rifles, especially ones geared towards driven hunts. Seems like it would make sense on a DG rifle, a shorter bolt throw would be a cool development too.

For a modern 416 I’d reach out to Long Rifles Inc, Blue Mountain Precision, and West Texas Ordnance. Both LRI and Blue Noubtain can build a 416 using the ARC Mausingfield action if you want controlled round feed. WTO has an action that you can easily swap barrels without needing to use a vice.

There is a good chance that I will have LRI do the work as I have had them do stuff in the past and have always been happy. If I decide to go with CRF I will use an ARC action for sure, my only complaint with them is that all their rails have build in MOA that I don’t need for this rifle, I’m not sure if that’s even an actual problem or just in my head.

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with a 20 MOA rail on the action. I’d check your scope to see what amount of elevation travel it has. The 20 MOA rail will probably put you in the middle or upper half of your elevation travel. The open top Mausingfield action will also accept direct mount rings if you don’t want the picatinny rail

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with a 20 MOA rail on the action. I’d check your scope to see what amount of elevation travel it has. The 20 MOA rail will probably put you in the middle or upper half of your elevation travel. The open top Mausingfield action will also accept direct mount rings if you don’t want the picatinny rail
I have an inclination to go with the Coup De Grâce action and use detachable mags so that it is fully modernized, I’m still kicking around the options.

Coup De Grâce is great, I have 3. I put together a 7 PRC using the CDG action. You can certainly do the Mausingfield with a detachable bottom metal. LRI built me a 338 Lapua with DBM that uses AICS CIP length mags. Another route would be to use Hawkins Hunter DBM with their flush fit mags. They are working on flush fit mags that work with belted magnums.

Coup De Grâce is great, I have 3. I put together a 7 PRC using the CDG action. You can certainly do the Mausingfield with a detachable bottom metal. LRI built me a 338 Lapua with DBM that uses AICS CIP length mags. Another route would be to use Hawkins Hunter DBM with their flush fit mags. They are working on flush fit mags that work with belted magnums.

I am giving all of this serious consideration. I have watched some videos on them today. I am still liking the CDG better, shorter bolt throw, still controlled round feed, the bold is serviceable with no tools which was a big draw to the weatherby 307 action, and still a reasonable price.

The CDG is a great action, as is the previously mentioned Mausingfield (albeit at a higher price point) Griffin and Howe is building a lot of their new rifles on ARC actions and while admittedly I've only played with a Weatherby 307 briefly, I think you'll be much more satisfied with the ARC.

I really like the Peak 44 stocks, but for this purpose I think you'd be better served by a McMillan safari or if you could get your hands on a flat top Echols Legend stock.

Blaser R8 is the epitome of a modern DG rifle ready to go, out of the box. This is our pair all set up for the next trip.
1729030643362.png

Last edited:
The CDG is a great action, as is the previously mentioned Mausingfield (albeit at a higher price point) Griffin and Howe is building a lot of their new rifles on ARC actions and while admittedly I've only played with a Weatherby 307 briefly, I think you'll be much more satisfied with the ARC.

I really like the Peak 44 stocks, but for this purpose I think you'd be better served by a McMillan safari or if you could get your hands on a flat top Echols Legend stock.
I think you’re right on the action, I will gain CRF and a shorter bolt throw, probably a little smoother action and still maintain the more sleek look of most push feed actions. I think it’s worth 500$ more.

The McMillan safari, peak blacktooth and manners mcs-eh3 will be what I choose between

I think you’re right on the action, I will gain CRF and a shorter bolt throw, probably a little smoother action and still maintain the more sleek look of most push feed actions. I think it’s worth 500$ more.

The McMillan safari, peak blacktooth and manners mcs-eh3 will be what I choose between
I think the McMillan safari comes in at ~33oz while the Manners comes in around 27. My personal thought here would be that a bit more weight might make it more balanced, but that also depends on your barrel contour. McMillan also does the molded in McWalnut / McWoody finish that I think would look pretty good on this as a nod to the classical look of the African 416. Below is an example of the McWoody stock finish.
McWoody red pad.webp

DSC0953_large.JPG

@IA1865 barrel profile is in the air, I think I will just have to call bartlein and see what they suggest. I need enough meat for a suppressor to shoulder on and I want to have it fluted with LRIs wrought iron pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bartlein #13 profile is similar to the Remington Varmint contour and probably what they will suggest especially since you’re looking to have LRI take some metal off it. I use the #13 contour on my carbon barrels and no issue with having shoulder for a suppressor.

For a stock I’d check out what Foundation offers. The dark distressed Revelation stock looks real good.

Also like the Manners LRH stock if you’re wanting a composite stock with good versatility.

Attachments

If you're good with push feed, take a look at the Pure Precision Summit action as well. It has a 75 degree lift on a two lug design, tool-less bolt disassembly and an integral lug. I used one for my .300 Win Mag and have been very happy with it. It's just a simple, well executed action with minimal frills or options. They're $1k regular price, but I see them on sale as low as $700 a few times a year. It should be long enough for a .416 Rem. without modification. I like it enough that I have a 6.5 PRC build in progress using their SKLTN action which should be completed in a few weeks. They're not particularly smooth out of the box, but broke in quickly with some cycling and lube and are quite nice now. I haven't used an ARC action yet, but I'll probably do my next build on their CDG. That will be a target rifle though.

Defiance is now offering some of their actions with a 75 degree bolt. They also offer a 3 position safety and some version of CRF, though no longer with the claw extractor. What I'm not sure of is whether one can get all three of those options on the same action. I've been very happy with my Rebel with the 3-position safety. Mine is push feed and has the 90 degree bolt. If the 75 degree were an option when I bought it I'd have chosen that instead for better scope clearance.

FWIW, all of the above rifles have hinged floorplates, so I can't comment on how these actions do with a detachable magazine, though I can't imagine any insurmountable problems.

I just bought a Peak 44 Blacktooth to upgrade the stock on my Defiance .308. It's at the gunsmith right now to have some inletting work done and get bedded. While it's a really well built stock, it's also very light. It's advertised as 20 oz, and that's what mine weighs. That's exactly what I wanted on my .308, but I'm not sure I'd want it on a .416. It may be sturdy enough, but I'd want some more weight. I'd be looking at McMillan or Manners for this. The traditionalist in me would go for the McMillan Safari. Not traditional, but it has the profile. The .300, 6.5, and my .223 on a Kauger action all have AG stocks, but I don't believe that AG warranties their stocks for dangerous game calibers. Regarding the Foundation stock recommendation, I haven't used one yet, but considered one for the next build. They have developed quite a following and look to be excellent, just be aware that they tend to be very heavy; in the 5-6 lb range for the ones I looked at. This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your goals.

Last edited:
About as modern as I get with a "hunting" .416 is the .416 WbyMag Mk V DGR (medium weight),
z001.JPG

a .416 Ruger M77 Hawkeye in a canoe paddle stock (light weight),
zz001.png

Gone Tacticool with a Picatinny:

z002.jpg

z005.jpg

or a .416 Barrett M99 (heavy weight), requiring a pack mule.

1729435085397.png

That has got to be some absolutely eye-watering recoil. 65 - 70 ft lbs, I'd imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChelseyShu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia