A great gift for a great dad

DillonG

AH fanatic
Joined
May 28, 2019
Messages
917
Reaction score
3,312
Location
Illinois, USA
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
1
Hunted
None
Good day to all of my fellow AH members. I wanted to propose a question to you all. What would be a great gift for my dad? Let me provide you some context. My dad is a hunter, but he strictly hunts deer during our general firearm season. He is a big fan of good whiskey/scotch, cigars, and knives. I believe I have landed in a trap of my own making. Last year I had an old Lanes (I believe that is the manufacturer) chest retro-fit into a humidor for him. Hard to beat that! However, I always enjoy giving great gifts. So, I thought it would be great to get some feedback from the group.

Thanks for the assistance!
 
Budget? If it fits, take your dad on a nice deer hunt. Maybe Iowa or Canada, somewhere he hasn’t been.
 
Budget? If it fits, take your dad on a nice deer hunt. Maybe Iowa or Canada, somewhere he hasn’t been.
I would love to take him to a big deer area! This year my wife and I are going through the whole IVF process. Trying to keep it somewhere around $500-$750.
 
What's your budget ?

A new rifle or shotgun or knife would always be a welcome addition.
 
A man can never have too many knives. I would go that route.

Several members have a custom knife from Garry Keown (aka "VonGruff).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What's your budget ?

A new rifle or shotgun or knife would always be a welcome addition.
I would try the shotgun route, but he just bought a new one last year. He thought he needed a semi-auto with a scope because “his eyes are going bad”. Lol
 
I would love to take him to a big deer area! This year my wife and I are going through the whole IVF process. Trying to keep it somewhere around $500-$750.

The IVF process will set you back a couple of safaris. My best wishes for you with what you are challenged with.

Knives and watches and hunts are great. Can’t go wrong with simply spending time with your dad.
 
We also just got the new law that you can use specific cartridges in a single shot, centerfire rifle. He’s kind of likes the “mow’em down” method. Not sure the rifle would be a hit.
 
Knives and watches and hunts are great. Can’t go wrong with simply spending time with your dad.
Oh we always hunt together. I brought my wife to deer camp last year. She harvested her first one. I gave her the old blood smear that I have seen so many new African hunters get from their PH.
 
I would try the shotgun route, but he just bought a new one last year. He thought he needed a semi-auto with a scope because “his eyes are going bad”. Lol
Get him a Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Winchester Magnum. Every dad wants one of those !
 
What kind of whisky does he like?
 
+1 for a Von Gruff knife. Or a really nice pair of hunting boots, or maybe just general use boots that he can enjoy regularly.

Or if he's anything like my dad was (who spent good money on rifles, but not as much on optics), a really nice scope or binoculars. There have been some great deals on both of those posted here lately (in your budget range).
 
I had a custom knife made for my dad, turned out great and will fit in your budget. Used cattle dog forge. He worked with me and got exactly what I/my dad wanted, a custom Canadian belt knife.
IMG_6614.jpeg
 
+1 on the optics, esp. if his eyes are no longer so young---great optics can almost make them young again! A used pair of Zeiss FL with Abbe-Koenig lenses are IMO the pinnacle of Zeiss bino quality and are priced in your BD budget.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,285
Messages
1,570,641
Members
168,922
Latest member
.416
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top