DillonG

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
None
Good day to all of my fellow AH members. I wanted to propose a question to you all. What would be a great gift for my dad? Let me provide you some context. My dad is a hunter, but he strictly hunts deer during our general firearm season. He is a big fan of good whiskey/scotch, cigars, and knives. I believe I have landed in a trap of my own making. Last year I had an old Lanes (I believe that is the manufacturer) chest retro-fit into a humidor for him. Hard to beat that! However, I always enjoy giving great gifts. So, I thought it would be great to get some feedback from the group.

Thanks for the assistance!

Budget? If it fits, take your dad on a nice deer hunt. Maybe Iowa or Canada, somewhere he hasn’t been.

Budget? If it fits, take your dad on a nice deer hunt. Maybe Iowa or Canada, somewhere he hasn’t been.
I would love to take him to a big deer area! This year my wife and I are going through the whole IVF process. Trying to keep it somewhere around $500-$750.

What's your budget ?

A new rifle or shotgun or knife would always be a welcome addition.

A man can never have too many knives. I would go that route.

Several members have a custom knife from Garry Keown (aka "VonGruff).

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your budget ?

A new rifle or shotgun or knife would always be a welcome addition.
I would try the shotgun route, but he just bought a new one last year. He thought he needed a semi-auto with a scope because “his eyes are going bad”. Lol

I would love to take him to a big deer area! This year my wife and I are going through the whole IVF process. Trying to keep it somewhere around $500-$750.

The IVF process will set you back a couple of safaris. My best wishes for you with what you are challenged with.

Knives and watches and hunts are great. Can’t go wrong with simply spending time with your dad.

We also just got the new law that you can use specific cartridges in a single shot, centerfire rifle. He’s kind of likes the “mow’em down” method. Not sure the rifle would be a hit.

Knives and watches and hunts are great. Can’t go wrong with simply spending time with your dad.
Oh we always hunt together. I brought my wife to deer camp last year. She harvested her first one. I gave her the old blood smear that I have seen so many new African hunters get from their PH.

I would try the shotgun route, but he just bought a new one last year. He thought he needed a semi-auto with a scope because “his eyes are going bad”. Lol
Get him a Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Winchester Magnum. Every dad wants one of those !

What kind of whisky does he like?

+1 for a Von Gruff knife. Or a really nice pair of hunting boots, or maybe just general use boots that he can enjoy regularly.

Or if he's anything like my dad was (who spent good money on rifles, but not as much on optics), a really nice scope or binoculars. There have been some great deals on both of those posted here lately (in your budget range).

I had a custom knife made for my dad, turned out great and will fit in your budget. Used cattle dog forge. He worked with me and got exactly what I/my dad wanted, a custom Canadian belt knife.
IMG_6614.jpeg

+1 on the optics, esp. if his eyes are no longer so young---great optics can almost make them young again! A used pair of Zeiss FL with Abbe-Koenig lenses are IMO the pinnacle of Zeiss bino quality and are priced in your BD budget.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.59.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.59.40 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristianR

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]