A Death Of Ethics: Is “Hunting” Destroying Itself?

The Sambar are no problem as they are browsers, and if anything are benefical as they eat the woody weeds- plus they are good eating.
The Kangaroos being native and given they directly compete with the cattle are a much bigger problem. There are government licenced hunters that can cull the roos. We had 450 taken off one property last year and you can hardly notice the difference, there are still 1,000s. And this gets to the point of public perception. Currently globally there is a campaign against all the fooball boot manufactures to stop using K-Leather (Kangaroo Leather) Which is a totally sustainable natural product and replace it with a synthetic hydrocarbon based inferior alternative - logic has nothing to do with it, it is all emotional. If we don't recognise and accept that emotional public campaigns could be the demise of our sport then we are naive. We must not condone any inhumane actions if we want our sport to continue.
After that rant. Here is how dingoes are controlled.
In my state Dingoes are protected, but wild dogs are vermin.
The emotionalism that you mention sounds really familiar. Are you sure that Australia and the US aren't part of the same country?

The thing is, these methods are used by farmers and other members of the agriculture community.
As being part of the farming community I will not take offence at the generalisation. The point is the majority of the public would not be able to tell the difference between a hunter and a non-hunter. All they see is a person killing a defenceless animal! And in the video referenced in the article, there was absolutely no way of determining if the person was a hunter or rancher. All that could be seen was a person torturing an animal to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
As being part of the farming community I will not take offence at the generalisation. The point is the majority of the public would not be able to tell the difference between a hunter and a non-hunter. All they see is a person killing a defenceless animal! And in the video referenced in the article, there was absolutely no way of determining if the person was a hunter or rancher. All that could be seen was a person torturing an animal to death.
Agreed. But I do know something about the methods that are used in the Western US to control deer in the vineyards as well as how sheep ranchers controlling coyotes. I have even been playing invited to help. I refused.

My response was to Tigris115. The OP keeps stating that "hunters" have to stop using inhumane methods when in fact I am not seeing any evidence that hunters are using them.

The Sambar are no problem as they are browsers, and if anything are benefical as they eat the woody weeds- plus they are good eating.
The Kangaroos being native and given they directly compete with the cattle are a much bigger problem. There are government licenced hunters that can cull the roos. We had 450 taken off one property last year and you can hardly notice the difference, there are still 1,000s. And this gets to the point of public perception. Currently globally there is a campaign against all the fooball boot manufactures to stop using K-Leather (Kangaroo Leather) Which is a totally sustainable natural product and replace it with a synthetic hydrocarbon based inferior alternative - logic has nothing to do with it, it is all emotional. If we don't recognise and accept that emotional public campaigns could be the demise of our sport then we are naive. We must not condone any inhumane actions if we want our sport to continue.
After that rant. Here is how dingoes are controlled.
In my state Dingoes are protected, but wild dogs are vermin.
Thanks for posting this. Very good video! What breed are your hunting dogs?

My response was to Tigris115. The OP keeps stating that "hunters" have to stop using inhumane methods when in fact I am not seeing any evidence that hunters are using them.

This was 100% the point I was trying to make, if you keep saying hunters this is nothing more that misleading Anti Hunting propaganda.

Agreed. But I do know something about the methods that are used in the Western US to control deer in the vineyards as well as how sheep ranchers controlling coyotes. I have even been playing invited to help. I refused.

@Doug Hamilton - appears “Tigris115” is Not a Hunter, more a philosopher/pontificator

Give the guy some slack. He is trying and he seems on our side. Everybody needs to start somewhere.

I actually enjoy his posts and it is good to get a different perspective. Though I have been frustrated with this particular post I do think it is good for him to be on here contributing.

Thanks for posting this. Very good video! What breed are your hunting dogs?
Sorry for the confusion, the guy in the video is not me. His dogs look like Short Haired Border Collies. Border Collies and Kelpies are the most popular working dog breeds down here.

@tigris115: You don’t Hunt but you have an opinion on Hunting? And You are entitled to that. I’m Not a Doctor but I have opinions on medical treatments and I’m entitled to that. Both of Our “opinions” in these areas are equally “Worthless”
There are ways in which members of the non-hunting public have every right to an opinion about hunting. People are tossing around concepts about what is or is not humane. Not only are we going to have to deal with those opinions as they are held by the public, but I don't see hunters as being the experts in that domain. They are potentially expert in what is happening in the field, but not on the overarching concept of how humane it is. And we shouldn't kid ourselves, even executions in the death house have failed to meet the standard, when the whole thing is under tight control. We can undertake to never make an animal suffer, but it isn't going to be the reality.

I was in a commercial airline crash, and one of the reasons why it happened was that the weather was bad, freezing rain, and the pilot took the opportunity to hand the controls over to a less experienced pilot who completely messed up. We all have to learn how to do things, whether it was my house cat toying with flies, or the self taught kid with his 22. I have seen some wounding studies, and it is sobering but not surprising. The results are so shocking it will get a thread on an archery board, I am a long time member of, locked to bring it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makeannee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.