Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
Well, a friend ran over a Timber Rattler with his hay cutter at the far end of a pasture (near a creek bottom) outside Ennis, TX. He sent me a text/picture which I have zero ability to transfer to this site. If you google them up, look for the lighter versions with the black parenthesis type markings. It was a big thick snake. I wish he would give me one side of the skin for a belt or hatband. They are protected, but it was an accident.

One reason I was interested was that when I was young enough to play with little toy soldiers at a friends house, a Timber Rattler came weaving through our little fortifications. I remember my friend dragged me backwards out of danger, then ran to get a hoe. I chopped it's head off, put everything in a bucket filled with rubbing alcohol and took it to school, where it just about caused a ruckus. Adults there identified it. It, too, was a thick, big headed snake. Strangely, I could not remember what the markings looked like, this having happened over sixty years ago, but it wasn't a light colored beauty like the one in Ennis. Mine was killed 100 miles east of there. Dad was off working a pipeline, and mother couldn't help me skin it successfully, so I just kept the rattles in my tackle box. I did think to bury it near the clothes line so that I could dig up the bones later. Rattler vertebra have a distinct radical shape. Never thought about it much until I saw a man selling earrings made from snake vertebra.

Those two were the only Timber Rattlers I ever saw. When I first saw the picture sent to my phone, it "almost" put me in mind of a puff adder, but the markings were much bolder after I thought about it.

Last edited:
Timber_Rattlesnake_JN_20221025_0091_1440x720.jpg

Is that it?

On our propoerty we have Eastern Browns, which are supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd most deadly snake on the planet. I step on one last summer when I was spraying blackberries - that got the adrenaline flowing. Luckily a blast of the spray in its face got it heading away from me.
Eastern-Brown-Snake-1200x800.jpg

You can blast the hell out of any venomous snake for infinity in Georgia without a hunting license.

If the entire world descended on us of a few years, absolutely, NO PROBLEM.

If you need a source for :

belts
hatbands
knife sheaves
coin purses
children's toys
etc....

PM me!

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
When that reptile is writhing around your ankle then you have no time to use anything other than what is in your had. That happened to be a high pressure spray.
The other Eastern Brown that was at the back door of the house, recieved a spray from the 12ga - no problem!

View attachment 631432

Is that it?

On our propoerty we have Eastern Browns, which are supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd most deadly snake on the planet. I step on one last summer when I was spraying blackberries - that got the adrenaline flowing. Luckily a blast of the spray in its face got it heading away from me.
View attachment 631433
That Brown puts me in mind of a mamba! I believe you included a Timber Rattler on top? Just about the shade of the one in Ennis.

I’ve got a jar full of rattles from timber rattlers.

Rattlesnake I killed under our deck when we lived in North Western Montana. Usually use a spade shovel but this one required snake shot.
IMG_2271.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvaPino575

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]