A 404 Jeffery I have inherited

Looks like a nice rifle that has seen a lot of use and possibly a little abuse.

Any idea of the history? Like who used it and where?
I'm wondering if it has more value as a collectible, as is, or cleaned up a bit and with a new recoil pad.

No history of the gun. I do know my grandfather was friends with the Williams brothers here in Michigan who ran a very successful gun store that is still in business. The brothers have passed on but from the story’s I have heard they used to go to Africa hunting and bring back meat for the holiday dinners they had with their family and friends and I know my grandparents went to quite a few of the dinners back in the day. Maybe he bought the rifle hoping to go with them one day. I know he never did go to Africa but did take many hunting trips to the western part of the USA.

9694DB14-3829-4010-A705-83491AF9FA96.jpeg

Do the markings on the safety or bolt mean anything to anyone? They don’t mean anything to me but I haven’t looked into the proof marks for the UK yet only some of the German ones

No history of the gun. I do know my grandfather was friends with the Williams brothers here in Michigan who ran a very successful gun store that is still in business. The brothers have passed on but from the story’s I have heard they used to go to Africa hunting and bring back meat for the holiday dinners they had with their family and friends and I know my grandparents went to quite a few of the dinners back in the day. Maybe he bought the rifle hoping to go with them one day. I know he never did go to Africa but did take many hunting trips to the western part of the USA.
My grandparents ran their own gun shop Back then. It’s been closed down for years but hopefully soon I can reopen the business.

Last edited:
I looked at the picture of the recoil pad, now that has character! Maybe sand or cut a little of the excess rubber off, but the rest of the pad is great.

What is the bore like?

Markings show German proofs out side of the Mauser factory so most likely a barrelled action assembled by one of the Suhl gunsmith’s in a type A take down form and them shipped to England where it was reproofed and stamped.of interest is the absence of stippling on the reciever bridge. Jeffery had his guns finished in Belgium.

I do not see the recoil pad in any of the pictures, but if it was mine (which it is not) I would leave it like it is, even that missing chunk might hold a story. Please do not take this wrong because I love the rifle. Putting a new pad on it is "like pouring perfume on a pig".

Merry Christmas, Lon
Agreed if it’s still usable otherwise replace with the same ie a Silvers medium in red not orange. This is considered Normal wear and tear . I’ve done it to one of my 404j’s.

As i said in my first post i am NOT looking to sell this rifle but just for curiosity sake what would you guys say it would be worth? I know putting a price on something like this without actually seeing it in person and physically inspecting it is almost impossible so maybe just a price range of what it would go for. Also does anyone have any idea what year it might have been made? Thanks again for any help you could give me.

I would definitely replace the recoil pad but it’s gorgeous. .404 Jeffrey has really gone up in price in the last 20 years.

As i said in my first post i am NOT looking to sell this rifle but just for curiosity sake what would you guys say it would be worth? I know putting a price on something like this without actually seeing it in person and physically inspecting it is almost impossible so maybe just a price range of what it would go for. Also does anyone have any idea what year it might have been made? Thanks again for any help you could give me.
As a no name brand mauser actioned rifle we usually grade these as the same as a custom rifle of the same quality.it doesn’t have the magnum action. I bought a similar example for about $2000. (With some ammo). An original Jeffery or the rarer Obendorf 404 will set you back about $15000.

As a no name brand mauser actioned rifle we usually grade these as the same as a custom rifle of the same quality.it doesn’t have the magnum action. I bought a similar example for about $2000. (With some ammo). An original Jeffery or the rarer Obendorf 404 will set you back about $15000.
How can I tell if it as Oberndorf? Someone else replied saying they thought it was most likely an Oberndorf.

How can I tell if it as Oberndorf? Someone else replied saying they thought it was most likely an Oberndorf.
All orbendorf ie Mauser factory rifles will have the in house B, U, and later G proofs. This one has the Stmg stamp .

All orbendorf ie Mauser factory rifles will have the in house B, U, and later G proofs. This one has the Stmg stamp .
What does the stmg stamp mean? Also does anyone know what the marks on the safety or bolt mean?

The numbers on the safety are the last two numbers of the mauser issued serial number. The other marks are inspection marks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLyall

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa