9.3x62 Rifle Build

perdurabo

AH member
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a new 9.3x62 rifle as an all-around non-DG rifle for African plains game and larger game in the US like elk, moose, and nilgai. I very much prefer a controlled round feed action, a model 70 style 3-way safety and a traditional wood stock so that disqualifies a lot of the very few new factory rifles offered in 9.3x62 these days in the US market (Mauser M12, Steyr CLII, Sauer 101, etc).

I'm considering several different options. Cost isn't a huge issue but I'd like to stay reasonable (under $5k) but using something I already have will be weighted somewhat over something that's completely brand new. Here are the options I'm considering:

1) I have a CZ 550 Bavarian with full length mannlicher style stock already in 9.3x62. However, I don't really like the stock other than as a curiosity so I'd have to find a decent traditional sporting style AA-AAA walnut CZ 550 stock, which may be hard to find, so it would probably have to be completely custom made ($$$). Also, I don't like the stock safety and trigger so I'd have to pay a gunsmith to install something like one of the AHR 3-position M70 style safeties and a custom trigger (likely also AHR).

2) I have a Sako AIII in 30-06 that already has a beautiful wood stock of the sort I want, for the most part. In order to get to 9.3x62, I would have to have it rebarreled (JES rebore is not an option, the barrel is too thin). It would also need a new trigger but Timney makes a fine one for the Sako. Sadly, nobody (still) makes a model 70 style aftermarket 3 position safety for the Sako AFAIK, so I'm stuck with the stock/Timney safety.

3) Build a completely new custom rifle on a completely new custom action like a Defiance CRF. This would probably be excessively expensive. Maybe less so if I gathered all the parts myself and paid a gunsmith to assemble them, but all of the custom rifles that are even close to what I want seem to START well above $5k (Hill Country Rifles in TX, etc).

4) Buy a new/used CRF Winchester model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 and have it rebarreled to 9.3x62. This might be the easiest in terms of execution but finding the donor rifle in the first place and at a price that keeps me under budget appears harder than I thought.

I'm leaning more towards option 2 and modifying the Sako, but I'd like to know if I'm leaving anything out. What other options might I have?

I've been looking at a similar thing, albeit in 375 H&H. I think you can get a stainless Model 70 for <1K on gunbroker if you don't mind shopping on there. I just got a MRC 1999 for $1K with a Bell & Carlson Stock. So $1,000 for an action + $2,000 +/- for an Accurate Innovations stock leaves you with easy $ for a barrel replacement and come in under $5k. At least that's how the math works in my head, we will see how mine works out.

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer Carbine Chamberings.jpg

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer High Velocity.jpg

Now commonly referred to as 'M1925', the pre WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauer chambered in 9.3X62 seems to 'tick the boxes' of "controlled round feed action and a traditional wood stock.", yet with the flag safety as used by Mauser. You'd also have the advantage of Otto Schoenauer's wonderful rotary magazine. Prices have changed a bit since 1939 but they can be found on the market.

There were also later models custom ordered in the 9.3X62 chambering. Stocks on Model 1952 and prior are 'traditional' with straight comb, Model MC had a high comb for 'scope use only, Model MCA had the 'Monte Carlo Amerikanische' (a.k.a. Monte Carlo All Purpose) with medium rise. A 'slide safety' was added in 1952. All were available with single or double set trigger, half stocked rifle or stutzen (full stocked carbine).

Stoeger, 1954:
MS Stoeger 1954 Features.jpg

MS Stoeger 1960 GK Stock.jpg

MS Model MC 1962 Stoeger detail.jpg

MS Model MCA 1962 Stoeger detail.jpg

Page 50, 1939 Stoeger catalog:
MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg

Mauser also offered the 9.3X62 (1939 Stoeger):

Mauser 39 Stoeger Model A 626.jpg
Mauser 39 Stoeger Model B 600 .jpg
Mauser Ballistics Stoeger 1939 Page 43.jpg

Attachments

• MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details.jpg
    MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 80
Or you could try this option:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.02.57 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.02.57 AM Large.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.02.58 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.02.58 AM Large.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.03.00 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.03.00 AM Large.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.03.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 9.03.03 AM Large.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 60
I'm looking to build a new 9.3x62 rifle as an all-around non-DG rifle for African plains game and larger game in the US like elk, moose, and nilgai. I very much prefer a controlled round feed action, a model 70 style 3-way safety and a traditional wood stock so that disqualifies a lot of the very few new factory rifles offered in 9.3x62 these days in the US market (Mauser M12, Steyr CLII, Sauer 101, etc).

I'm considering several different options. Cost isn't a huge issue but I'd like to stay reasonable (under $5k) but using something I already have will be weighted somewhat over something that's completely brand new. Here are the options I'm considering:

1) I have a CZ 550 Bavarian with full length mannlicher style stock already in 9.3x62. However, I don't really like the stock other than as a curiosity so I'd have to find a decent traditional sporting style AA-AAA walnut CZ 550 stock, which may be hard to find, so it would probably have to be completely custom made ($$$). Also, I don't like the stock safety and trigger so I'd have to pay a gunsmith to install something like one of the AHR 3-position M70 style safeties and a custom trigger (likely also AHR).

2) I have a Sako AIII in 30-06 that already has a beautiful wood stock of the sort I want, for the most part. In order to get to 9.3x62, I would have to have it rebarreled (JES rebore is not an option, the barrel is too thin). It would also need a new trigger but Timney makes a fine one for the Sako. Sadly, nobody (still) makes a model 70 style aftermarket 3 position safety for the Sako AFAIK, so I'm stuck with the stock/Timney safety.

3) Build a completely new custom rifle on a completely new custom action like a Defiance CRF. This would probably be excessively expensive. Maybe less so if I gathered all the parts myself and paid a gunsmith to assemble them, but all of the custom rifles that are even close to what I want seem to START well above $5k (Hill Country Rifles in TX, etc).

4) Buy a new/used CRF Winchester model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 and have it rebarreled to 9.3x62. This might be the easiest in terms of execution but finding the donor rifle in the first place and at a price that keeps me under budget appears harder than I thought.

I'm leaning more towards option 2 and modifying the Sako, but I'd like to know if I'm leaving anything out. What other options might I have?

Contact LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek about restocking that CZ and changing out the safety. His work is amazing and he is not ridiculously expensive. You should be well under your budget.

I have a CZ550 American 9.3x62 that I sent to Matrix Gunsmithing and had the AHR upgrades 1 & 2 done. It meets all your requirements. CRF, 3 position safety, wood stock, etc. PM if you're interested.

OK that is a better option than my suggestion. I have dealt with @Bonk. He is a trustworthy gentleman.

I have a "Mannlicher style" CZ 550 FS as well (from the first decade of the 2000s), and mine has a 3 position safety from the factory. From what I read, only the 550 FS versions had the 3 position safety. Does yours only have two positions??

I have a Cz 550 in 9.3x62. I bought it used off gun broker at a bargain because it had a Mickey Mouse stock with a twin bar recoil reducer and a 4 inch gap in the wood to install this contraption. It looked hideous and caught on everything. I replaced the stock with a beautiful walnut stock from Boyds. It shoots very well. I did the same with a Cz 550 in .30-06 that came used with a synthetic stock.

I also have a Mauser with a Micro fit stock from Richards that I am well pleased with. It required some fitting as well as finishing and checkering.

These are both good budget options in my opinion.

Not to hijack this thread but I have a question. Would either a 300 win mag or a 7mm Rem mag work for a donor rifle for a 9.3x62 build/re-barrel without having to change the bolt face and have a bunch of other work done to the magazine, etc…?

If you have a trusted gunsmith, how about a 9.3 on an '03 Springfield action.
Recreate a G&H or Sedgley Sporter. Lots of history of those in Africa.
Dupage has good original actions at a reasonable price. Should take very little, if any work to feed 9.3 perfectly and IIRC they hold 5 down.

Not to hijack this thread but I have a question. Would either a 300 win mag or a 7mm Rem mag work for a donor rifle for a 9.3x62 build/re-barrel without having to change the bolt face and have a bunch of other work done to the magazine, etc…?
Wrong bolt face, rails would be too wide. Need to stay with standard bolt and receiver for it to work.

If budget is no concern, then I'd exclusively opt for a Granite Mountain Arms Mauser action. Best action for a magazine rifle in my experience.

If you want a budget build, then I'd highly recommend a military surplus Springfield Model 1903A3 action. It will accommodate the 9.3x62mm Mauser cartridge adequately.

9,3x64 rim diameter is .496
.300 win mag rim diameter is .530 so I don’t believe it would work properly.

Last edited:
Find a large ring 98 Mauser in serviceable condition and have it rebarreled to 9,3x62. The cartridge was developed for the M98 Mauser. Little if anything at all to do on the rails or magazine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?