9.3x62 - Large or Large Magnum Primers?

Fenstar

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, South Africa
I’ve been a handloader for a long time- but I tend to be old school and big bore. Primers types were always easy to determine. The 9.3x62 has had my attention for a long time… just now, it has my focused attention. From what I gather, 286g bullets work best with RL-17 and Big Game powder. 250g bullets work best with RL-15 and Varget. I know with testing I could probably deduct which primer to use- but w primers in short supply, I figured I would ask the professionals for basic rules of thumb, plus past experience proof. Thank you in advance. Fenstar

Anything with around 70 and more grains of powder my rule of thumb is magnum primers

I don't reload the cartridge 9,3x62, but the cartridge 9,3x64. For latter I mostly use Large Rifle Magnum primers, although it is not always recommended, not even in the reloading manual from RWS for example. For the cartridge 9,3x62 I would use Large Rifle primers, as recommended in most European reloading manuals.

I use both and haven’t seen any difference between the two. And don’t negate Alliant power pro 2000 Mr. Some really great powder for the 9,3

I would use magnums for the ball powder (big game) and standards for the two stick types. Most manuals suggest the use of magnums and other ball powders, so I do.
I would hate to tell you how many pounds of WW 760 I have set off with a standard primer in the past however.

I use LRM for everything, including 6.5x55. That one uses a slow powder, though for the rather heavy-for-calibre 156g bullets.

I think Norma's reloading data is all based on LRM as well.

I have developed some good 285 gr. bullet loads for my 9.3x62 with both RL 15 powder, and Ramshot BG.
I use Std primers in the 58 gr. / RL15 loads and Mag primers in the 65 gr. / Ramshot BG loads. For no more scientific reason than I decided long ago to use magnum primers when powder charges exceeded 60 grains or when using ball powders, and the RSBG load meets both criteria.

I’ve been a handloader for a long time- but I tend to be old school and big bore. Primers types were always easy to determine. The 9.3x62 has had my attention for a long time… just now, it has my focused attention. From what I gather, 286g bullets work best with RL-17 and Big Game powder. 250g bullets work best with RL-15 and Varget. I know with testing I could probably deduct which primer to use- but w primers in short supply, I figured I would ask the professionals for basic rules of thumb, plus past experience proof. Thank you in advance. Fenstar
With 62.5 gr of 2000MR and CCI LR, I'm getting about 2475 fps with 286 gr A Frames, COAL at 3.32. And even at that length, I still have about a 0.06 jump.

3.291 is the official max coal for 9.3x62. I own 2 - a Zastava Mauser and a Sauer 100. I get to 3.38 max coal for them both - measured both with Hornady's tool and the old school way with a wooden dowel.

Use LRM if it suits you, I don't believe it's necessary for this work horse.

Measure your seating depth. I can almost guarantee you can go longer than what any of the reloading manuals say, by quite a bit.

Hornady's data for their 286 gr is absurd - 3.125. That isn't a type-o: 3.125. Same length in manuals IX, X, and XI

@sgt_zim what brass are you using and what load density are you getting with that load?
Norma, I'm away from my PC and GRT load data until next week.

There is still a bit of room with the A Frames at 3.32, but the 258 gr Hammers at 3.3" are pretty close to needing a roll/taper crimp with the seater.

Ball powders like 2000MR and Big Game seem to work better in a full case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorineWhit

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.