9.3x57

I fell in love with the cartridge many moons ago and still have 4 of them [2 Husqvarna Model 46's (small-ring Model 96 type) & 2 Husqvarna Model 146 (Model 98) & bought one for each of my daughters. Will have to get busy with the camera.

I am using a newish set of Hornady dies for 9.3x57. Those dies have a tapered expander plug that allows me opening necks easily on 8x57 brass. I got some grossly over priced 285gr. blemished Hornady bullets from Midway.

I've got two rifles in that caliber. I should have one running shortly. The other needs repairs. The hunt is on for loading data.

I am using a newish set of Hornady dies for 9.3x57. Those dies have a tapered expander plug that allows me opening necks easily on 8x57 brass. I got some grossly over priced 285gr. blemished Hornady bullets from Midway.

I've got two rifles in that caliber. I should have one running shortly. The other needs repairs. The hunt is on for loading data.
I can share my data with you if you let me know what powders are available to you.

Forgot to add that I have found that you want to open up the necks to at least 9.5mm [0.375"] the first time [hint: replace your Hornady tapered expander button with one for .375. Run the case necks ONLY over that, then replace the expander button with the original 9.3mm one. I use a Sinclair 0.375" neck expander] then size your brass in the 9.3x57 sizer die. After expanding the necks with the .375 expander, either smoke the case neck & shoulder with a BIC lighter [do they still make those?] or a magic marker. Then with the sizing die set high, run the case in only until you can just close the bolt on a chambered case [so you do not introduce excess headspace into the equation, which is not good for case longevity]. Once you have that, lock your die & you're good after that. Remember too that as you expand case mouths, they grow, so you'll have to trim & square your case mouth the first time. I trim to 2.204". Hope this helps.

I can share my data with you if you let me know what powders are available to you.
H4895 is generally the safest, if you have other options i am willing to explore..
thanks..

Cheers for the responses. Got everything squared away now, the rifle is at the gunsmith for threading, the suppressor is nearly ordered, and I have all the gear to load for her.
With BLC2 it's looking like a 270gr at 2200fos being relatively conservative.
Should do me for 90% of things, there is always Nosler if I need tougher.
Regular old cup and core is where it is at with the 9.3’s. They swat game down and don’t tear up the meat.

I grabbed a 1000 232 grain Norma Vulcans at an obscenely low price several years ago and ammo set for my lifetime.

I use powders a wee bit slower than H4895; RL15, BLC-2, IMR4320, x2924, H380, WC852, N540, N203B.

I grabbed a 1000 232 grain Norma Vulcans at an obscenely low price several years ago and ammo set for my lifetime.
I've never played with really light bullets in the 9.3, or, for that matter, in any game caliber, but I must admit that I subscribe to the Elmer Keith school of thought [HIB aka Heavier is better / Sectional Density Rules! ;-)].

I've never played with really light bullets in the 9.3, or, for that matter, in any game caliber, but I must admit that I subscribe to the Elmer Keith school of thought [HIB aka Heavier is better / Sectional Density Rules! ;-)].
I wouldn’t call 232 grains light but for the 9.3x62 it is pretty light. It works peaches on deer and hogs.

What I like about the 9,3s iis that most any bullet performs on game. I ve used most all of them over the last 70 or so years and the PPUs seem to work as well as any bullet..I suppose thats because all the 9,3 are about equal in velocity..

I've been watching like heck to try and find some 232 grainers for my 9.3X57. I was shooting 250 grain accubonds but there was zero expansion once you were past a hundred yards. Too tough. Switched to 270 grain speers as supposedly they are softer, but I'd love to snag some 232 grainers. I think it would be ideal. Leave the big heavy bullets for my X62

I've been watching like heck to try and find some 232 grainers for my 9.3X57. I was shooting 250 grain accubonds but there was zero expansion once you were past a hundred yards. Too tough. Switched to 270 grain speers as supposedly they are softer, but I'd love to snag some 232 grainers. I think it would be ideal. Leave the big heavy bullets for my X62
Vulcan and Oryx has been Fl loaded snd suit very good ,. So difficult to go wrong with them

And lighter Woodleigh also , and Northfork if lighter one is there to find also .

All I’ve been able to find that has been produced in any reasonable numbers have been Norma. And of course it’s all out of stock now. WoodLeigh isn’t making light bullets now and Northfork doesn’t go that light.

Been watching gunbroker and forum boards like this like a hawk hoping to snatch some. Even a hundred box would let me get a load and keep the rest for use. I could always shoot other stuff in practice.

All I’ve been able to find that has been produced in any reasonable numbers have been Norma. And of course it’s all out of stock now. WoodLeigh isn’t making light bullets now and Northfork doesn’t go that light.

Been watching gunbroker and forum boards like this like a hawk hoping to snatch some. Even a hundred box would let me get a load and keep the rest for use. I could always shoot other stuff in practice.
Have you tried Hawk bullets?

Shot my bear last spring with my 9.3x57. Quartering to toward me shot. It broke its shoulder, passed thru bear then barrel. Pretty solid penetration for a 285 partition just doing 2050fps.

20230604_192641.jpg
20230605_094358.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw not sure if i posted it here or elsewhere before Z,
Blaser made a series of barrels for R93 in 9,3x57. They were sold out very quick and most went to Sweden and Germany . Tracking for wounded and traffic game , boar and Bear .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HFKGladis

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]