9.3x57

I fell in love with the cartridge many moons ago and still have 4 of them [2 Husqvarna Model 46's (small-ring Model 96 type) & 2 Husqvarna Model 146 (Model 98) & bought one for each of my daughters. Will have to get busy with the camera.

I am using a newish set of Hornady dies for 9.3x57. Those dies have a tapered expander plug that allows me opening necks easily on 8x57 brass. I got some grossly over priced 285gr. blemished Hornady bullets from Midway.

I've got two rifles in that caliber. I should have one running shortly. The other needs repairs. The hunt is on for loading data.

I am using a newish set of Hornady dies for 9.3x57. Those dies have a tapered expander plug that allows me opening necks easily on 8x57 brass. I got some grossly over priced 285gr. blemished Hornady bullets from Midway.

I've got two rifles in that caliber. I should have one running shortly. The other needs repairs. The hunt is on for loading data.
I can share my data with you if you let me know what powders are available to you.

Forgot to add that I have found that you want to open up the necks to at least 9.5mm [0.375"] the first time [hint: replace your Hornady tapered expander button with one for .375. Run the case necks ONLY over that, then replace the expander button with the original 9.3mm one. I use a Sinclair 0.375" neck expander] then size your brass in the 9.3x57 sizer die. After expanding the necks with the .375 expander, either smoke the case neck & shoulder with a BIC lighter [do they still make those?] or a magic marker. Then with the sizing die set high, run the case in only until you can just close the bolt on a chambered case [so you do not introduce excess headspace into the equation, which is not good for case longevity]. Once you have that, lock your die & you're good after that. Remember too that as you expand case mouths, they grow, so you'll have to trim & square your case mouth the first time. I trim to 2.204". Hope this helps.

I can share my data with you if you let me know what powders are available to you.
H4895 is generally the safest, if you have other options i am willing to explore..
thanks..

Cheers for the responses. Got everything squared away now, the rifle is at the gunsmith for threading, the suppressor is nearly ordered, and I have all the gear to load for her.
With BLC2 it's looking like a 270gr at 2200fos being relatively conservative.
Should do me for 90% of things, there is always Nosler if I need tougher.
Regular old cup and core is where it is at with the 9.3’s. They swat game down and don’t tear up the meat.

I grabbed a 1000 232 grain Norma Vulcans at an obscenely low price several years ago and ammo set for my lifetime.

I use powders a wee bit slower than H4895; RL15, BLC-2, IMR4320, x2924, H380, WC852, N540, N203B.

I grabbed a 1000 232 grain Norma Vulcans at an obscenely low price several years ago and ammo set for my lifetime.
I've never played with really light bullets in the 9.3, or, for that matter, in any game caliber, but I must admit that I subscribe to the Elmer Keith school of thought [HIB aka Heavier is better / Sectional Density Rules! ;-)].

I've never played with really light bullets in the 9.3, or, for that matter, in any game caliber, but I must admit that I subscribe to the Elmer Keith school of thought [HIB aka Heavier is better / Sectional Density Rules! ;-)].
I wouldn’t call 232 grains light but for the 9.3x62 it is pretty light. It works peaches on deer and hogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WIHunter

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED