7mm broken???!

From the look of the case it appears that they used a badly worn out chamber reamer. It might be possible to have a gunsmith set the barrel back a bit and rechamber it using a proper reamer but why when there are better rifles available.

IMO - make the necessary repairs. From the sounds of it, shouldn't be too expensive. Test fire to verify it works. Then sell it and buy something else. So many better quality options out there to choose from.

I truly hope not to see this rifle for sale in the classifieds unless it has been properly repaired by a competent gunsmith.

Just return the rifle and replace it with a Winchester M70 or a Ruger 77 Hawkeye. Both are solid quality rifles and much better rifles.
@Joker12
Or a nice Savage with a timber stock or a Howa/ Weatherby

As indicated on the last page, something is wrong with the belt/web area near the base of the cartridge.

A pro would go in with a bent paperclip or a dental pick to see if there was a ton of stretch in the inside of the case in the area known as the web. If there is, then its excessive headspace. If it is not, its an improper reaming of the chamber that is out of spec in that location.

In any case, it appears you decided to bail on the initiative which is a good plan. Life is too short to shoot bad guns. There are so many best quality 7mm Mags out there for a pittance there is no need to own such a gun as this at such a price if you can get your money back.

You said this:

"I bought the ammo at a gun show, figured it to be factory."

Could it be that you bought reloads, and they are too hot for the Remington rifle?

Since it's a new rifle, and you are shooting "factory ammo", I would have Remington try to fix it and have them pay for it. To fix this rifle you shouldn't have to pay out of your pocket.

You said this:

"I bought the ammo at a gun show, figured it to be factory."

Could it be that you bought reloads, and they are too hot for the Remington rifle?

Since it's a new rifle, and you are shooting "factory ammo", I would have Remington try to fix it and have them pay for it. To fix this rifle you shouldn't have to pay out of your pocket.
At the same time @Joker12 shot the same ammo in his other 7mmRM rifle with no problems. Most likely the cause lies with the rifle, not the ammo.

My 60s vintage BDL in 270 is still working great, never an issues, still accurate as hell. The new Remingtons suffer from quality control problems. My guess is it's the extractor. I would send it back.

I can attest that sometimes a round fire formed in one gun may not work well in another, due to chamber differences. I have had case seperations, stuck brass and failure to fire by mixing brass from one gun to the other. (The problem gun is getting the barrel cut back a bit and rechambered). This is why I asked if the rounds were reloads. If they are new from the factory then that variable is negated.

Personally I would never buy ammo at a gun show unless it was in a factory sealed box, some ammo sold as new could be reloads that have interesting results when fired in another rifle. Gun shows are great to visit but buyer beware. Have you tried another brand of New factory ammo?..my first thought before I would go further.

Personally I would never buy ammo at a gun show unless it was in a factory sealed box, some ammo sold as new could be reloads that have interesting results when fired in another rifle. Gun shows are great to visit but buyer beware. Have you tried another brand of New factory ammo?..my first thought before I would go further.
Yes I also shot federal ammo I bought at Scheels

You can buy a Tikka for what it will cost to have it checked out and fixed. Plus, you aren't going to be happy with it now anyway.

Sorry, but Remington ruined their band years ago.
+1. I have a 7mm RM in a Tikka T3 and love it.

"Hope springs eternal" except when a rifle goes south. The trust factor will never be quite the same. Hard to diagnose the problem without looking at it but as has been posted by others, it may be a very simple fix. And in any case it should be fixed before sending it down the road to the next person anyway.

So if I were faced with this I would shop around for a decent gunsmith or go to one you know and trust who has a good 7Mag finish reamer and ask him to very gently turn it into the chamber to see if all it needs is a clean up of that area just ahead of the belt without touching the belt of course.... and changing the headspace. It can even be done by hand with a T handle without removing the barrel from the action. I prefer reamers with a floating pilot. Most gunsmiths likewise should have that type with two or three bushings for the 7mm if they have a 7mm finish reamer. If lucky and the problem is in fact a simple oops in the chamber just ahead of the belt, it's about a 15 minute job.... unless the gunsmith wants to make a "deal" out of it to make more money of course :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a buddy that claimed some of the newer loads, and he did mention Barnes, had very long OAL which would create higher pressures etc. Try shooting a basic load in it, meaning a more basic bullet. Federal, Hornady or remington with a BTSP or some type of a basic bullet/load and see what it does. He had a rifle do the same thing and when he switched away to other ammo the rifle not only functioned fine, but it shot fantastic groups.

Just a thought....might sound like a goofy one but its happened.

It's a Remington. They went bankrupt for a good reason. Their "Quality" Control was shipping everything out the door, and if the customer caught their errors, which were many, they would offer some sort of warranty. I gave up on Remington rifles long ago after along list of complaints. Good luck with that one.
Remington's generally require a lot of hot rodding to shoot properly. They are the Chevy 350 of actions... Plenty of good aftermarket parts out there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicolasMos

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]