6.5x55 sweed

In 1944, the Swedish army switched from 156 gr RN to 139 gr Spitzers. They were getting a skosh over 2500 fps out of their 26" barrels with the Spitzers.

At 762 mps with a 250M zero, you're going to be somewhere around 12 cm high at 100M. If you're hunting the Karoo or the eastern cape mountains, that's probably fine.

Predicted MV for 40.5 gr S365 is 2554 fps, pressure at 42k psi. I expect measured MV will be below 2500.

I said before I wouldn't chase velocity, I still stand by that, but there's also nothing wrong with working up a ladder, start at 40 gr and move up in half grain increments until you get a sticky bolt lift.

My hunting load is 160 gr Woodleigh PPSN, MV 2380 fps (this is what I'm bringing to Limpopo next month, along with my 9.3x62). Both that and my ELD-X 143 loads are exceptionally accurate, so I just didn't bother trying to get any faster than that.
Excellent rifles to bring to Africa , Limpopo province, South Africa, hunting the bushveld is special, mostly walk/stalk hunts, no long distance shots needed ...heavy for caliber bullets is the way to go...
My aim is to shoot good groupings at 300 meters/hitting a 200mm steel gong in the center with small groups.

This will enable me to shoot out to 250-300 meters at a Springbuck in the Kalahari or Karoo regions. When getting these results I will be content.

I have a T3x and set it up as a light carry rifle for hunting mountains and for the the kids to handle easily. It grouped great out the box with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Reloder 26. Had to adjust the load after about 150 shots through the barrel. It has been out and about on a few hunts and just excelled. The last was for Vaalies and Mountain Reedbuck in the Drakensberg and it was a pleasure to carry and shoot. The calibre handles longer shots and wind quite good. I'm starting to really fall in love with this little rifle!

I have a T3x and set it up as a light carry rifle for hunting mountains and for the the kids to handle easily. It grouped great out the box with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Reloder 26. Had to adjust the load after about 150 shots through the barrel. It has been out and about on a few hunts and just excelled. The last was for Vaalies and Mountain Reedbuck in the Drakensberg and it was a pleasure to carry and shoot. The calibre handles longer shots and wind quite good. I'm starting to really fall in love with this little rifle!
Hein, yes, this is what I want from my 6.5x55 Swede ...a light weight shooting rifle with it`s silencer to use by my wife to shoot targets , it has no recoil at all, I am getting to know my 6.5x55 as time goes by and I make changes along my quest to get a load that will work excellently in my Swede...the more trigger time I get the more I love this caliber ...there are still a lot of loads I need to work out, so a lot more trigger time is coming my way (y) (y) (y) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am currently on the lookout to purchase a TIKKA T3x IN A 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser here in South Africa, unfortunately this is a scarce item..but I will keep on looking for one

Mike, how is the meat damage using the 120gn bullets?? I am on Hornady ELD-X 143 gn I am contemplating going less weight bullets like you have done..
Gert - they worked fine, low on mass however so use a bullet that will hold together.

I love my CZ 550 Lux in 6.5x55
For bushveld purposes I load 156gr Norma Oryx at 2511vps - they are deadly on anything up to Eland in Africa for max 300yds or less
On the range I do Norma Oryx 130gr Golden Target at 2904vps, they are economical and do Plinking out to 500m without and issues - probably will get more but haven't gone beyond that myself

I have tried others as well like Nosler AB LR 129gr but they were to soft for my liking and had a lot of meat damage on bushveld ranges, however, shot a Blackwildebeest at 417m and the bullet hid the shoulder and did not penetrate both lungs so needed a quick follow up

I have other calibers for those shots now and my Swede will stay a bush gun for less than 300yds

IMG-20170713-WA0041-1.jpg
IMG-20210615-WA0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shootist, will it be possible to assist me in loads using the South African SONCHEM propellant like the S365 and S335 propellants?

Bullet weight ELD-X 143 , OAL 79mm , I will chronograph this load shortly. it will give you more data to work with.
@Gert… With your action and barrel length, start at 42.2gr of S365 and work up in 0.4gr increments.
In MY rifle, I got outstanding accuracy (< 9mm groups) at 45.0gr S365 (Lot# 81) and 140gr Accubonds on a cool day.
In warm weather I started hitting serious over pressure signs with that load. Average velocity was 2826fps.

I then started playing with more temp stable propellants, and VV N555 has been the standout. My current load is 46.5gr, for 2740fps in all weather conditions, with an SD of 4 out of my Mauser M03 600mm barrel.

I’ve just returned from the Kalahari, and as always the little 6.5 did a great job on medium and small game like Red hartebeest and springbok out to 340m.

My next 6.5 Swedemoor experiments will be with the 143gr Norma Bondstrike.

When they were still available, the 130gr Swift Scirroco at 2860 was a spectacular hunting load.

Last edited:
My hunting partner and I used a borrowed Tikka T3X in 6.5X55 loaded with S&B 131 gr JSP to take 2 caribou bulls and 2 musk ox bulls from 150-250 yards in Greenland in 2022. Four animals cleanly taken; surprisingly effective round on some pretty game.

IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1803.jpeg

That should read, “…pretty large game.”. LOL.

My 11 year old son took alot of animals with a 6.5CM this trip. He was using a 129SST @2850fps. Was very happy with the performance of the round and bullet.

The 129SST was getting about 24" of penetration. The only one that was recovered had a weight of 72.12grs, measured at.58".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristianR

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]