SkullKeeper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
I need a bullet puller and I’m not sure if an inertia puller is made for this size cartridge. Any suggestions?

Drill hole in a 2x4 and smack it over something hard.
Kind of this. Drill a hole but only make it small enough that when you put the bullet in the hole with a shellholder on the bottom, the shellholder makes it so that the whole thing doesn't go through. Then smack it against something hard --- preferably over a soft (to save the bullet) surface that's still easy to clean (for the mess of powder) about to come out.

Also, protip if not known --- for most rounds, there's zero reason to use those annoying little shell holders that come with kinetic hammers. All the hammers I use I can just load the cartridge to a shell holder and plop that in and screw it down. Much much much easier and less annoying.

I need a bullet puller and I’m not sure if an inertia puller is made for this size cartridge. Any suggestions?
The Lyman will handle larger cases than any of the common brands but 416 Rigby is as big as I have used it for?

The Lyman will handle larger cases than any of the common brands but 416 Rigby is as big as I have used it for?
I have the Lyman and it’s the largest of the inertia pullers I’ve seen yet. I can do my 450#2 cartridges in it but a 505 won’t fit.

I’m in the process of making one to fit a brass 4 bore cartridge that someone pushed the projectile into, they can be made, just not that simple as you need to support both the top and bottom of the rim
gumpy

Use the RCBS collet bullet puller. It is a far better puller. It also is safer. There are occasional reports of bullets igniting with inertia pullers, rare but enough to warrant consideration.

Order collets for the various bullet diameters - .50 in this instance.

Attachments

• RCBS Collet Bullet Puller Collet 26 Cal, 6.5mm (264 Diameter).pdf
    464.2 KB · Views: 4
  • RCBS Collet Bullet Puller.pdf
    479 KB · Views: 4
Use the RCBS collet bullet puller. It is a far better puller. It also is safer. There are occasional reports of bullets igniting with inertia pullers, rare but enough to warrant consideration.

Order collets for the various bullet diameters - .50 in this instance.

Yes there better but if you can't grab the bullet there useless.

I used an RCBS puller for my 505.

However, I have never heard of a cartridge igniting from an inertial puller... How the heck would something hit the primer?

I used an RCBS puller for my 505.

However, I have never heard of a cartridge igniting from an inertial puller... How the heck would something hit the primer?
It is just the force setting off the primer material. Remember the firing pin pushes the primer material onto the primer anvil to ignite it. The inertia applies to the primer material just like it does a bullet. So once every 1 in a million times the inertia carries the primer material onto the anvil with enough force to ignite. That is made up number for an example.

I have read a few of these reports over the years, then it happened to one of my friends. Once I tried the collet type puller, the inertia one went in the trash.

Check a search engine to locate reports as the links will not display correctly.

Last edited:
Best bullet puller I’ve ever used, works in conjunction with single stage press

Grip n pull

Attachments

• IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Best bullet puller I’ve ever used, works in conjunction with single stage press

Grip n pull
I was just about to say get one of these. I cant get those in the UK so I made one in the shop for my own 505. Work a treat and you dont get all the powder everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshtonGvh7

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.