SkullKeeper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
I need a bullet puller and I’m not sure if an inertia puller is made for this size cartridge. Any suggestions?

Drill hole in a 2x4 and smack it over something hard.
Kind of this. Drill a hole but only make it small enough that when you put the bullet in the hole with a shellholder on the bottom, the shellholder makes it so that the whole thing doesn't go through. Then smack it against something hard --- preferably over a soft (to save the bullet) surface that's still easy to clean (for the mess of powder) about to come out.

Also, protip if not known --- for most rounds, there's zero reason to use those annoying little shell holders that come with kinetic hammers. All the hammers I use I can just load the cartridge to a shell holder and plop that in and screw it down. Much much much easier and less annoying.

I need a bullet puller and I’m not sure if an inertia puller is made for this size cartridge. Any suggestions?
The Lyman will handle larger cases than any of the common brands but 416 Rigby is as big as I have used it for?

The Lyman will handle larger cases than any of the common brands but 416 Rigby is as big as I have used it for?
I have the Lyman and it’s the largest of the inertia pullers I’ve seen yet. I can do my 450#2 cartridges in it but a 505 won’t fit.

I’m in the process of making one to fit a brass 4 bore cartridge that someone pushed the projectile into, they can be made, just not that simple as you need to support both the top and bottom of the rim
gumpy

Use the RCBS collet bullet puller. It is a far better puller. It also is safer. There are occasional reports of bullets igniting with inertia pullers, rare but enough to warrant consideration.

Order collets for the various bullet diameters - .50 in this instance.

Attachments

Use the RCBS collet bullet puller. It is a far better puller. It also is safer. There are occasional reports of bullets igniting with inertia pullers, rare but enough to warrant consideration.

Order collets for the various bullet diameters - .50 in this instance.

Yes there better but if you can't grab the bullet there useless.

I used an RCBS puller for my 505.

However, I have never heard of a cartridge igniting from an inertial puller... How the heck would something hit the primer?

The RCBS has a star on my walk of fame. But if you didn't already have it and just needed to pop one loose then McGyver's Kinetic Hammer would be fine.

Generally the RCBS is preferred though.

I used an RCBS puller for my 505.

However, I have never heard of a cartridge igniting from an inertial puller... How the heck would something hit the primer?
It is just the force setting off the primer material. Remember the firing pin pushes the primer material onto the primer anvil to ignite it. The inertia applies to the primer material just like it does a bullet. So once every 1 in a million times the inertia carries the primer material onto the anvil with enough force to ignite. That is made up number for an example.

I have read a few of these reports over the years, then it happened to one of my friends. Once I tried the collet type puller, the inertia one went in the trash.

Check a search engine to locate reports as the links will not display correctly.

Last edited:
If your not worried about saving the bullet you can just use your press, wire cutters seem to grab bullets pretty well and some times with minimal damage if there's a crimp grove.

Best bullet puller I’ve ever used, works in conjunction with single stage press

Grip n pull

IMG_5725.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Best bullet puller I’ve ever used, works in conjunction with single stage press

Grip n pull
I was just about to say get one of these. I cant get those in the UK so I made one in the shop for my own 505. Work a treat and you dont get all the powder everywhere.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]