500 Jeffery Club

I'm entertaining the idea of getting one. I like that I can break it down in a small case and carry it and a double in the case but still have a large bore like the 500 Jeffrey barrel for it. I wish they made it in 416 rigby.
I guess I could get a 458 Lott barrel for plains game ;) and a 500 jeff barrel for the bigger stuff
I laughed but I’m considering one in 500 Jeffery myself as well

After I sold my 500 the other day it got me thinking, I have been on the fence about trying out an R8 for a while anyway and I have two 416 rigbys, so if I turn loose of one of those along with the funds from the 500 I might just have to try the R8. That way I still have one 416 rigby, it is one of my favorite cartridges so I need to have one of those on hand. I am not kidding when I say it is my plains game rifle. The ballistics on that rifle with the 300 and 350 grain bullets is impressive. However, something about an R8 in 458 Lott is very appealing to me, and if you're gonna have an R8 and you already have dies and 200+ pieces of 500 Jeffrey brass, well then the answer seems pretty obvious as to I should do next.:cool:

Also an added bonus that it has the same. "Cocking lever" more or less as my Kreighoff double.

After I sold my 500 the other day it got me thinking, I have been on the fence about trying out an R8 for a while anyway and I have two 416 rigbys, so if I turn loose of one of those along with the funds from the 500 I might just have to try the R8. That way I still have one 416 rigby, it is one of my favorite cartridges so I need to have one of those on hand. I am not kidding when I say it is my plains game rifle. The ballistics on that rifle with the 300 and 350 grain bullets is impressive. However, something about an R8 in 458 Lott is very appealing to me, and if you're gonna have an R8 and you already have dies and 200+ pieces of 500 Jeffrey brass, well then the answer seems pretty obvious as to I should do next.:cool:

Also an added bonus that it has the same. "Cocking lever" more or less as my Kreighoff double.

Fact is if you have dies it is your legal and moral obligation to have at least one rifle with that chambering. Don’t believe me? Ask anyone here.

Beautiful "Blues" & No shortage .. I thought there were Serious R8 fans here .. "Ideal/Practical" in Synthetic .. Jaeger is Magnificent.

What I want, .. Steve Fourie's SSB Drop Box, would never be used.

1672181237992.png

Fact is if you have dies it is your legal and moral obligation to have at least one rifle with that chambering. Don’t believe me? Ask anyone here.
I know...haha, and it will worry me to death until I buy another one. I think an R8 with the thumbhole would be perfect for it and the 458. All of the thumbhole rifles I have dealt with handles recoil really, really well.

I know...haha, and it will worry me to death until I buy another one. I think an R8 with the thumbhole would be perfect for it and the 458. All of the thumbhole rifles I have dealt with handles recoil really, really well.

Someone from Blaser told me they do not recommend thumbhole stocks for anything over 375 due to discomfort caused to the hand by high recoil with such stock. I have the thumbhole version with 375 and feel no discomfort at all but 416 or 458 is a fair bit more potent.

Someone from Blaser told me they do not recommend thumbhole stocks for anything over 375 due to discomfort caused to the hand by high recoil with such stock. I have the thumbhole version with 375 and feel no discomfort at all but 416 or 458 is a fair bit more potent.
That is interesting, I definitely better do some research on that before I get one.
What is the "go to" place to get info about/order an R8. I see a few different places on GB that always have them listed.

Last edited:
That is interesting, I definitely better do some research on that before I get one.
What is the "go to" place to get info about/order an R8. I see a few different places on GB that always have them listed.
PM sent.

On the other hand:

I know when you sold your 500 you made someone very happy!

I happen to have a brand new Jaeger stock/receiver and bolt assembly that I'm thinking about selling. I too am going to Zim in 2023, and need to raise some money. I'll take $4000.00 for it. Then you can just buy a 500J barrel and be set. You'd just have to trade the MA bolt head for a 500 J bolt head. Or keep it for a 458 Lott or 300 Win Mag barrel in the future.

I happen to have a brand new Jaeger stock/receiver and bolt assembly that I'm thinking about selling. I too am going to Zim in 2023, and need to raise some money. I'll take $4000.00 for it. Then you can just buy a 500J barrel and be set. You'd just have to trade the MA bolt head for a 500 J bolt head. Or keep it for a 458 Lott or 300 Win Mag barrel in the future.
We will definitely chat about that. Most definitely. I'll shoot you a PM with my number and you can send me a couple pics if you don't care. Synthetic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammamishX

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!