460 Weatherby opinions?

I bet if someone were firing a premium bullet out of this rifle at 2300-2400 fps they wouldn’t garner nearly as much criticism
Or this one, LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.50 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.50 AM.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.53 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.53 AM.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.54 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.54 AM.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.55 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.55 AM.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.56 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.56 AM.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.58 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.37.58 AM.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 45
They are not for everyone, when/if you shoot one. You will understand why so many people like them.
Oh I understand why they like them so much, the wood ones are beautiful rifles and I'm sure they handle well. Idk what it is they are just one that never caught my interest. I guess I have to Americanized taste in rifles sometimes.

Oh I understand why they like them so much, the wood ones are beautiful rifles and I'm sure they handle well. Idk what it is they are just one that never caught my interest. I guess I have to Americanized taste in rifles sometimes.

I’ve had the recoil crack the pistol grip on Wx 460

I'm not even sure what I like, if it functions and is accurate I'm 90% of the way there. Not much walnut and blue in my safe. It's not that I don't like them some members have some beautiful rifles that admire. For me, I don't want to ruin some beautiful lumber.

Every opinion posted has information worth considering.
I have owned three .460 Mark V rifles in the last 40 years. Have only killed whitetails with them but they do an outstanding job when using the lightest bullets you can find, in the 250 gr. to 300 grain range.
One of them was a Euromark, it was my favorite. There may be pics of it on this site, around 2018 to 2020.
Remember, you ABSOLUTELY do not need to shoot 400 to 600 gr. bullets to have an effective outcome.
I have read articles about the 375 H&H having remarkable results using 300 gr. bullets. Solids can be found in the 300-325 gr. range for the. 458 caliber rifles.
What you usually read about horrific recoil involves heavy projectiles at terrific speeds.
Read between the lines here and get creative with the Cutting Edge Bullet and the Lehigh Defense Bullets. Since Wilson took control of Lehigh, the selection isn't what it used to be but you can still come up with amazing results. PM me if you'd like to know more.
One last thought, picture using a 260 grain hollow point at 3400 fps. Plains game would simply melt. Hitting them in the right spot, of course. Think "energy transfer". Good luck.

He does indeed use a .460 Wby for backup. There is a photo of the rifle in “Into The Thorns” and it is also mentioned in “Drums of the Morning”. He mentions hunting for a safari operator who used one with devastating effect on elephant, and then getting one himself.

The other old time PH that owned one was Adelino Serras Pirez. It would be interesting to know which other PHs use a .460 Wby.
I had two different hunts with Roy Vincent, both in the 1980’s, where he carried a 460 Weatherby. It came in handy on both hunts too; as we were charged from close range by an elephant bull that we both shot at 9 yards as it was silently bearing down on us. I was shooting an 458 Winchester at the time. And in 1986 we were charged by a buffalo cow from about 12 yards away. I shot her with my 470 at a couple feet as she went past me on her way to hook Roy. He shot her in the face right off the end of his barrel. She blew right past us into the brush and while we were asking each other “Are you OK?” we both nearly got knocked over by her yearling calf that we didn’t know was present till it nearly collided with us. After that, we had a bit of a rodeo as we chased her through thick bush, each shooting when we got a glimpse of her.

I‘m about to depart on my 2nd hunt in 3 years with Roy’s son, Alan; 16 days in the Selous. The apple didn’t fall far from the tree, as Alan carries a .450 Ackley. It’s everything the 460 is, as he gets about 2,650 with 500 grain TSX’s. It’s comforting to hunt with great PH’s of vast experience that carry big guns ‘just in case they need to shoot’.

Remember, you ABSOLUTELY do not need to shoot 400 to 600 gr. bullets to have an effective outcome.
I have read articles about the 375 H&H having remarkable results using 300 gr. bullets. Solids can be found in the 300-325 gr. range for the. 458 caliber rifles.
What you usually read about horrific recoil involves heavy projectiles at terrific speeds.

Sure, but since it's all about hunting big game with such cartridges, bullets between 400gr and 600gr should be used. You don't need to use the maximum load, we have already talked about reduced loads that are more useful for hunting big game than the classic loads, and also cause less recoil.

I used as the lightest bullets for the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum, the 450gr A-frame from Swift and the 450gr TSX from Barnes, admittedly with a load close to the allowed maximum. Accuracy was very good, and despite the load, recoil was less than with the 500 gr bullets. The working on buffalos did not convince me as much, because with the A-frame I shot through, and the Barnes lacked a bit of depth penetration. It was only one buffalo shot with each bullet, but I still used 500gr bullets again.

As far as shooting lighter game species with the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum is concerned, so what is absolutely possible with the heaviest bullets of this caliber. I used the classic 500gr Interbond bullet from Hornady, a bullet which I used a lot in the beginning, for shooting some antelopes, warthogs, also wild boars, and even a bustard. The only problem is that you often have to shoot light or medium game species at longer distances and therefore have to be able to shoot a rifle of this caliber in different positions. I have never seen the need to use very light bullets for this caliber. I prefer for hunting light to medium game the use of smaller calibers and bullets with a better BC that the lighter bullets caliber 458.

Last edited:
I know they're pretty far apart but I've been wanting a 416 Rigby for years for absolutely no reason and here more recently the 460 just keeps making me look. I've got a 375 on its way to me now so I don't NEED either one for the Buff I'll one day hunt but I've always been fascinated with the big bore mean rifles. I know the 460 is nowhere near as popular as the 416 but is it really that bad? I see some videos where guys are almost in tears but then several saying "it's not as bad as expected" after the shot. So from owners or those of you with actual experience; is it a good useful round with a bad rep or is it just an overpowered monster useful only for elephant and t-rex?
@Axle2010
I have watched a video of Connie Brooks (of Barnes bullets), she weighs 100 pounds wring wet with a packet full of fishing sinkers shooting a 460 off the bench. She doesn't seem to worry about it at all. I fired 3 shots out of one year's ago pre muzzle brake and was glad to hand it back after 3 shots.
Bob

Had a 460 mark V and it wasn’t for me. There are several things about the rifle I don’t care for but others like - to each their own.
Most of the Mark V’s have the bowling ball high gloss finish (euromark model doesn’t but I haven’t seen one in 460 - they might exist, just haven’t seen one myself).

The mark v is a push feed - many arguments about push feed vs. CRF for DG - I’m sure there are multiple threads on this.

I’ve read many articles and heard from PHs about their view on Wby rifles - there is still a stigma about hunters who bring them on safari. Perception is they are a new hunter with money who probably can’t shoot well. That’s easy enough to prove wrong, just stating the stigma exists.

The last is all of the wby 460’s I’ve seen have the muzzle brake - not ideal for hunting scenarios with your PH right next to you.

If you like the rifle and really want one to have one, buy it. Most used 460s come with a factory box of ammo - 19 of 20 rounds still there….
@Berettaco
Here is an exert from another person on the 460 with a muzzle brake.
Screenshot_20210303-065557_Chrome.jpg

Lets see thisbis often an Land Cruiser vs Land Rover or Ford vs Chev tyoe of argument.....whatever you own is the best....

Out of so many dg professiinal hunters we can scratch out 2 names who use them....

Lets check some facts....

Case capacity

460WM 141.1 gr h20
500 Jeff 158gr h20
505 Gibbs 178gr h20

Bear in mind the Gibbs has a massive case as it was designed for cordite...

Pressure

460WM 65000psi 4500 bars
500 Jeff 46412 psi 3200 bars
505 Gibbs 39160 psi 2700 bars

Velocity
460WM 500gr 2600fps 7504 ft.lbs
500Jeff 600gr 2500fps 8117 ft.lbs
505 Gibbs 600gr 2100fps 5877 ft.lbs

You truely do not need anything over 2400fps with the right bullet with 2300 fps as the sweet spot....

The argument of downloading holds no water as the other 2 can be uploaded...

You want a 458? Buy a 458 Lott or a 450 Rigby....

That 500 Jeffery load is stiff to say the least! I'm not saying it's not safe. I loaded the Barnes 570g TSX to 2510 fps when I was doing load development. That load would clear your sinuses. Fun index was zero. I settled on the same bullet at 2300 fps due to my recoil sensitive nature.

@Axle2010
I have watched a video of Connie Brooks (of Barnes bullets), she weighs 100 pounds wring wet with a packet full of fishing sinkers shooting a 460 off the bench. She doesn't seem to worry about it at all. I fired 3 shots out of one year's ago pre muzzle brake and was glad to hand it back after 3 shots.
Bob

Muzzle brake is cheating lol

@Berettaco
Here is an exert from another person on the 460 with a muzzle brake.
View attachment 545287
See it's these type of stories that make me hesitant. Not the recoil part but the Beest jumping up and running off. To many times I read his saying this round is "to fast" and is not as effective as a normal 458 or even the 416. Now I know we don't know the bullet type or placement and there's always a small bs factor in there to compensate for the macho guys that don't want to admit they just don't want the recoil but with my lack of experience these stories are what I have to go by. I honestly don't think I want to go bigger than the 458's, even though they're impressive as hell so I'll most likely go with 416, 460 or maybe the 458 Lott...?

I agree 100% on the high gloss, that's why I wish it was offered in the same oil rubbed finish as my Vanguard. One reason I'm looking at the Mark V is that my Vanguard fits me so well I was really shocked at how much the 300wm does NOT kick in it. Honestly my 300 doesn't kick any more than my Tikka 308. You said push feed, I thought the Mark V was a crf action? I def don't have money to waste on expensive rifles for the helluvit that's why it's rather only buyb once so ibask you fine folks' opinions first. If I do go 460 I wonder if I could get a nice model 70 chambered in it...
In reading through this post, I don't believe anyone ever responded to your question on the Mark V being a push feed. It is a push feed, not CRF. I own 4 Mark V's, and probably 10 or 12 pre-64 Model 70s (I should count sometime soon). I'm actually a Weatherby guy, but I like the old Model 70's so much I've bought 3 Model 70's rechambered for different Weatherby cartridges opposed to Mark V's.

I prefer the Winchesters, but it's strictly a personal choice, nothing wrong with a Mark V. For me, a Winchester fits like a custom gun.

I think too much is made about the push / CRF debate for DG. In all honesty, if you're knocked on your ass upside down with DG charging you, your PH is going to save the day, not you.

In terms of the initial question, if you want a 460, you should get it. There are ways to lessen the recoil beyond less powder as well. I generally would not install a muzzle break on a gun after the fact, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun that had a factory break, albeit with proper hearing protection. A comment was brought up on another post recently about recoil reducers. If I was going to get a 460 Wby, that would be my first purchase prior to even a scope. I'm partial to Edwards Recoil Reducers, but others have had good outcomes with other brands too. I don't buy the argument that you could use a lead weight and accomplish the same thing as a recoil reducer. The recoil reducers work IMO.

Good luck.

In reading through this post, I don't believe anyone ever responded to your question on the Mark V being a push feed. It is a push feed, not CRF. I own 4 Mark V's, and probably 10 or 12 pre-64 Model 70s (I should count sometime soon). I'm actually a Weatherby guy, but I like the old Model 70's so much I've bought 3 Model 70's rechambered for different Weatherby cartridges opposed to Mark V's.

I prefer the Winchesters, but it's strictly a personal choice, nothing wrong with a Mark V. For me, a Winchester fits like a custom gun.

I think too much is made about the push / CRF debate for DG. In all honesty, if you're knocked on your ass upside down with DG charging you, your PH is going to save the day, not you.

In terms of the initial question, if you want a 460, you should get it. There are ways to lessen the recoil beyond less powder as well. I generally would not install a muzzle break on a gun after the fact, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun that had a factory break, albeit with proper hearing protection. A comment was brought up on another post recently about recoil reducers. If I was going to get a 460 Wby, that would be my first purchase prior to even a scope. I'm partial to Edwards Recoil Reducers, but others have had good outcomes with other brands too. I don't buy the argument that you could use a lead weight and accomplish the same thing as a recoil reducer. The recoil reducers work IMO.

Good luck.
Thanks so much Bob, yes I looked into it after starting this thread. I swore they were crf but I guess not, I haven't even held a M70 yet l yet but mine should be here in the next few weeks. My Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe fits me perfectly that's one big reason I was planning on the Mark V, I assume they're pretty well identical measurements. I was wondering about those tungsten stock inserts for reducing recoil.

That 500 Jeffery load is stiff to say the least! I'm not saying it's not safe. I loaded the Barnes 570g TSX to 2510 fps when I was doing load development. That load would clear your sinuses. Fun index was zero. I settled on the same bullet at 2300 fps due to my recoil sensitive nature.
Whoa! .. on the 570's @ 2500fps!
Would've liked to have seen that ;

I may be way off ..

I thought there was a problem 'c the 460 Projectile sometimes "Tumbling" enroute ..

Thanks so much Bob, yes I looked into it after starting this thread. I swore they were crf but I guess not, I haven't even held a M70 yet l yet but mine should be here in the next few weeks. My Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe fits me perfectly that's one big reason I was planning on the Mark V, I assume they're pretty well identical measurements. I was wondering about those tungsten stock inserts for reducing recoil.

I can't say anything about the tungsten inserts, because I haven't dealt with them before. But I'd recommend looking into these if you get that big bore. https://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/ I've chatted with the owner a few times, and if you explain to him the gun, he'll tell you what to get. I've had my gunsmith install them because I was nervous using a drill on a beautiful 75 year old piece of wood. It was worth the extra few bucks for peace of mind.

Enjoy the M70. Never shot a Vanguard but have handled them before at shows. I'm partial to the old deluxe Mark V's, but I guess I can't say that with any comparison to the Vanguard with never shooting one.

See it's these type of stories that make me hesitant. Not the recoil part but the Beest jumping up and running off. To many times I read his saying this round is "to fast" and is not as effective as a normal 458 or even the 416. Now I know we don't know the bullet type or placement and there's always a small bs factor in there to compensate for the macho guys that don't want to admit they just don't want the recoil but with my lack of experience these stories are what I have to go by. I honestly don't think I want to go bigger than the 458's, even though they're impressive as hell so I'll most likely go with 416, 460 or maybe the 458 Lott...?

These are mostly stories, because what counts above all is the first shot placement, and if everything is correct, a buffalo go down much better with the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum than with a cartridge of smaller caliber, also not so much dependent on the bullet, as far as it is suitable for big game hunting. The bullet failure due to too excessive velocity must also be judged with caution.

We can continue to discuss the cartridge longer, but unfortunately, for whatever reason, the cartridge got right away at the beginning a bad reputation that will continue to follow it. The same things are written for decades about the cartridge, and generations later all these comments are accepted uncritically and spread further, unfortunately in the majority of cases without personal hunting experience with this cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotLeinad

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt