450/400-3”

Has anyone hunted Africa with the 450/400-3” cartridges?
Yes I have. I got the new barrels finally this year for my Kreighoff double that was sporting the .470 barrels. I find the recoil to be little more than a .375. The 400g Barnes TSX did the trick on a buffalo in South Africa and a hippo on land in Zimbabwe this year. I'll be back after buffalo in Zim next year.
The .450/400 is an excellent choice for what I am doing.
It is no wonder this cartridge is gaining momentum!

Has anyone hunted Africa with the 450/400-3” cartridges?
yes with Tsala a few years ago. i had a new Chapuis in 450-400 NE 3 inch. i took the following nice animals
cape buff
golden wildebeest
black impala
wart hog
nyala

great caliber

Thank you everyone for your input. Much appreciated!!

My husband really appreciated the article. It answered many of his questions! Thank you!

Thanks for the welcome! We have 2 Ruger No. 1 in 45-70, a Marlin .444, Remington .308, 6.5 CM, Ruger .338, and a couple AR 15’s… there may be a couple more in there. We love shooting all kinds of guns. Shotguns, and handguns as well.

What kind of guns do you like to shoot?

Yes I have. I got the new barrels finally this year for my Kreighoff double that was sporting the .470 barrels. I find the recoil to be little more than a .375. The 400g Barnes TSX did the trick on a buffalo in South Africa and a hippo on land in Zimbabwe this year. I'll be back after buffalo in Zim next year.
@Philip Glass what weight is your double with those new barrels? Thanks

The current popularity of the 450/400NE 3" (aka 400 Jeffery Nitro Express) can trace its success to the names Ruger, Hornady, Lipsey's and Craig Boddington.

Around 2008 these parties collaborated on a limited series of Ruger No 1 rifles to be made. They would have the Boddington name on them, be sold through Lipsey's and Hornady would produce the ammo. These rifles along with others made without the Boddington name put a real shot in the arm of the popularity of the 450/400NE.

I will also say it wasn't just these people who took a chance. At the end of the day the cartridge had to perform, and perform well. And it still does today.

@Philip Glass what weight is your double with those new barrels? Thanks
I'll try to remember to weigh it. I am about to go out there and get a few things out to make some more safari planning videos. My next one is DG scopes. Get ready for toes to be stepped on!

Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of information we were hoping to hear. We are getting a Krieghoff next week. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post!

Happy Hunting!

My wife who hunts professionally has taken, buff, elephant, lion, hippo with her 88b Heym in .450-.400.

She has moved to a 89b in .470.

Many years ago I took several elephant, buffalo with a George Gibbs .450-.400 in 3 1/4.

Great caliber a pussy cat to shoot in a proper fit & weight rifle.

Lon

My wife who hunts professionally has taken, buff, elephant, lion, hippo with her 88b Heym in .450-.400.

She has moved to a 89b in .470.

Many years ago I took several elephant, buffalo with a George Gibbs .450-.400 in 3 1/4.

Great caliber a pussy cat to shoot in a proper fit & weight rifle.

Lon
Nice to hear! Thanks for your reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelMart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?