416WSM on Siamese Mauser & 416/348Ackley Improved on Martini

I used 1020 mild steel for the heads with two pin holes to tighten them, and ground a screwdriver bit to suit. The cross shaft is a bit of 7 mm key way stock. I have used 1095 which could be hardened but it was not worth the effort. If you shear off or strip out the threads you are doing it up too tight, they should be firm. The wood will move so you don’t need it too rigid. I rust blued the heads
Gumpy

I always resize the images to be around 1Mb and have not had any issues uploading them.

Talking stock finishes, I have been given a recipe of Boiled Linseed oil (BLO) and alkanet with Japan Goldsize. But at the moment I cannot source any Japan Goldsize (which is a fast drying varnish).
Instead I have found this product that reads to be similar - does anyone have experience of this product?
Austioneers Promise.JPG

I use Linspeed finish. Seem to recall someone posting they could get it in Australia. It has a red dye in the oil I believe. Apply with finger, rubbing it into grain. Let dry about 35 minutes then rub it off with paper towel. Takes several coats to fill the grain.

I always resize the images to be around 1Mb and have not had any issues uploading them.

Talking stock finishes, I have been given a recipe of Boiled Linseed oil (BLO) and alkanet with Japan Goldsize. But at the moment I cannot source any Japan Goldsize (which is a fast drying varnish).
Instead I have found this product that reads to be similar - does anyone have experience of this product?
View attachment 638716
I have not used it myself but the bloke who has done a stock for me uses it. The timber comes up quite well. I would put up a photo but IMGUR is playing up on me again.

View attachment 638716
I have used the red oil and stock oil on knife handles and found it to work well. I have not used any on a rifle stock though. I just gave what I had left over to a friend who makes rifle stocks, but I dont think he has used any yet.

I have not used it myself but the bloke who has done a stock for me uses it. The timber comes up quite well. I would put up a photo but IMGUR is playing up on me again.
You could try postimage.com. Thats all I use for posting photos and it works for me.

The No4 303 Sporterised at top of pic has those oils on it.

J5DG0Kg.jpg

Struth I managed to post the image twice :A Bang Head: :D

I have used the red oil and stock oil on knife handles and found it to work well. I have not used any on a rifle stock though. I just gave what I had left over to a friend who makes rifle stocks, but I dont think he has used any yet.
I just googled them are they are up for sale and don't look like they are taking on new users.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChandaTanc

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.